• -

Votes: 5 25.0%
  • -

Votes: 15 75.0%
1241 - 1260 of 4326 Posts

·
Arch Duke of Canada
209 Posts
^it's the cheapest way to make a decent retractable roof. I think we will only see more and more of these clones

·
Arch Duke of Canada
209 Posts
There's not much specific info. From the original press release in Jan 2007 it states 30-40,000 seats and 24 suites. The proposal has changed since the beginning (new river front location and partnership with the local university) but the stadium is always shown the same.

·
36,439 Posts
^^ The Bomber's stadium is now proposed along the river? I'm assuming it's now at the University of Manitoba since U of W is inland. That's good news. Whatever the capacity, I hope the design allows for easy expansion to 40,000+ and that there are end zone seats. There seems to be a trend in Canada to 25,000 seat football stadiums. Montreal is bumping their's up to 25,000 while the Ottawa proposal at Frank Clair also calls for 25,000.

I'm also hoping the design changes. The one above isn't that appealing although the seating arrangement is good.

·
36,439 Posts
Here's some pics from the latest proposal
Thanks for those updates. It's so hard getting any information about either of those projects. I've only been to Winnipeg once before, but is that the Point Douglas area? If so, it's a very good choice. More central than out by Polo Park Shopping Centre and a great riverside locale.

I am under the impression that Molson Stadium is set to be upgraded in time for the start of the 2009 season. It's a shame that they couldn't get approval for more seats than just the 5,000 extra they were permitted. This is a franchise that could possibly be pulling in the largest average attendance in the league, but playing in the smallest capacity stadium.

I always thought that the arena flanking the southern side of the stadium was a mistake. Optimally, the entire site should be redeveloped into a 50,000 seat U shaped bowl with the playing surface dropped about 20 metres with no arena to the south. This could have been achieved in stages. First drop the elevation, then build a 30,000 seater. Add more rows following the U pattern to bring capacity to 40,000. Do it again, if needed, to arrive at 50,000.

This would have kept the intimacy of the stadium, respected the integrity of McGill University's surrounding buildings, maintained views of downtown from the stands and McGill buildings, but given the Alouettes and Montreal a stadium with adequate capacity.

·
36,439 Posts
I went on GoogleMaps, and it does seem to be just northeast of Portage and Main. It would be very central, but other articles I've dug up suggest that the stadium won't go here either. Looks like they are talking about a stadium at the University of Manitoba which is to the south of downtown.

The location above does look great, but having the stadium at U of M would provide a great place for the Bisons to play, and boost the image of the whole university. At present, only the University of Calgary, McGill University, and Universite Laval have sizable football stadiums.

10 Largest on campus university stadiums:

University of Calgary 35,650
McGill University 20,202
Universite Laval 18,500
University of Western Ontario 16,000
University of Saskatchewan 12,567

McMaster University 12,000
Saint Mary's University 11,000
Queen's University 10,258
Universite de Sherbrooke 8,000
Wilfred Laurier University 6,000

As you can see only the University of Calgary, McGill University, and Universite de Laval have significant stadiums. A CFL calibre stadium at the University of Manitoba would instantly give it the premier university football stadium in the country. That's a very good asset to have.

·
36,439 Posts
The front of the ACC (Air Canada Centre) is being redeveloped featuring a bridge to Canada's first sports condominium complex, Maple Leaf Square. The ACC is home to the Toronto Raptors of the NBA and the Toronto Maple Leafs of the NHL. The ACC is one of the largest arenas in America. It holds 19,800 for basketball and 18,819 for hockey.

Courtesy of Taller, Better

Originally posted by Kristopher at urbantoronto.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I went on GoogleMaps, and it does seem to be just northeast of Portage and Main. It would be very central, but other articles I've dug up suggest that the stadium won't go here either. Looks like they are talking about a stadium at the University of Manitoba which is to the south of downtown.

The location above does look great, but having the stadium at U of M would provide a great place for the Bisons to play, and boost the image of the whole university.
I dont want it. Im a U of M student and dont want a giant stadium clogging up the place. Accessability would be horrible anyway. Im assuming they would build it either on the current stadium site or near pembina in the smart park. Too close to where I live, dont want it. If they want ot build in Point Douglas, go ahead. But they complain too.

·
36,439 Posts
I admit that I haven't been to the campus of U of M, but there seems to be a huge amount of land in and around the campus that isn't being used for anything. I've also heard from locals that very little exists in the south end of the city. Wouldn't a stadium be the a good tonic for that?

Many great US college campuses have stadiums of up to 100,000 seats built on them. If anything, they've added to the prestige of the school. I realize that Manitobans don't support college football the way they do in Halifax, Quebec City, or the US, but a quality facility might be the impetus needed to get college football on the right track in your province. It's potentially a huge revenue stream for an institution.

There's no reason why the CIS can't develop on the same lines as the NCAA in terms of the support and interest it receives. Granted, it would take a generation to get there, but you have to start somewhere.

·
Ex-mod
7,931 Posts
VANCOUVER - 2010 Winter Olympics / XXI Olympic Winter Games

UBC Winter Sports Centre

The University of British Columbia's Thunderbird Winter Sports Centre will be a year-round sport and recreational facility. The Centre will be complete in 2008 and will serve as a Vancouver 2010 Olympic ice hockey venue for men's and women's hockey and will subsequently be a venue for the 2010 Paralympic Games.

The new UBC Winter Sports Centre will contain three principal arenas: Arena A is a regional mid-sized spectator facility which includes a 5,500 permanent seat ice arena (with configurable space to accommodate up to 7,000 seats in either NHL or Olympic ice configurations); Arenas B and C comprise a more community-focused recreational facility incorporating a refurbished 980 seat NHL sized rink and a new 200 seat Olympic ice surface.

The Centre is being designed to LEED Silver requirements and will incorporate sustainable features to minimize environmental impact.

Venue Description
UBC is a sprawling, ocean-side university campus on Vancouver’s west side, well served by public transport. Ice Hockey and Ice Sledge Hockey will be hosted at the UBC Winter Sports Centre, with Ice Hockey also taking place at General Motors Place.

Construction Update
Construction began in April 2006 on this project. It includes refurbishing the existing competition arena and the construction of two new rinks. One will be used in training, and the other will be a new 7,000-seat competition facility. To date, the renovation to the existing Father Bauer rink and the construction of the new practice rink building are complete and have been handed over to UBC in preparation for their summer hockey schools. The foundations for the new main arena are complete and the structural steel roof is being erected. The main arena is on schedule for completion by summer 2008.

Post-Games Use
Following the Games, the venue will become a recreational and high-performance multi-sport legacy facility. The new training arena will be easily convertible to ice sledge hockey training and competition.

CLIENT: UBC Properties Trust
CONSULTANT: Kasian Kennedy Architect
CONTRACT TYPE: Design-Build / Design Assist
VALUE: $43,500,000
SIZE: 150,600 sq. ft.
DURATION: 22 months
CONSTRUCTION START: April 2006
CONSTRUCTION END: August 2008

ARENA A: 7,000-seats (5,500 permanent)
ARENA B: 980-seats
ARENA C: 200-seats

OLYMPIC EVENTS: Women's ice hockey, Men's ice hockey, Men's Paralympic ice sledge hockey

Main entrance

7,000-seat Arena A

·
Ex-mod
7,931 Posts

·
Ex-mod
7,931 Posts
VANCOUVER 2010 OLYMPIC WINTER GAMES - Richmond Olympic Oval (8,000)

RICHMOND OLYMPIC OVAL - world's largest oval

Distance from Vancouver Olympic Village: 15 km
Venue Capacity: 8,000 seats
Elevation: Sea level
Cost: CAN$170 million

Venue Description
The Richmond Oval site is located on the banks of the Fraser River, 25 minutes south of the Olympic Village in downtown Vancouver. The site, in the northwest corner of Richmond, is across the river from Vancouver International Airport and near the Richmond city centre.

Construction Update
The Richmond Oval will be an outstanding theatre for sport with a new 400-metre track housed in a 33,750-square-metre facility. Key design elements include a state-of-the-art ice plant with superior air quality and climate controls. Facilities and systems will include offices, timing and athlete monitoring equipment, and fitness and strength training areas. Construction began in September 2005 with a completion date of Fall 2008.

Post-Games Use
After the Games, the oval will become an international centre of excellence for sports and wellness. The oval’s flexible design will allow it to be used for a variety of sport and community functions. The oval will be the centrepiece of a major new urban waterfront neighbourhood featuring a mix of residential, commercial and public amenity development.

Olympic mode

Post-Games mode

Lobby exterior

Exterior

1241 - 1260 of 4326 Posts