Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think its about time...

OTTAWA - Canada plans to impose a 15 per cent surtax on imports of U.S. cigarettes, oysters, live swine and some types of fish starting May 1.

Ottawa said Thursday it is slapping on the duties to retaliate against the United States for its failure to comply with the World Trade Organization ruling on the Byrd Amendment.

The amendment allows U.S. producers to receive anti-dumping and countervailing duties collected by the U.S. government from foreign competitors.

The WTO has ruled the amendment is illegal, and in November 2004, the trade body gave Canada and the other co-complainants the authority to retaliate.

Canada's decision to retaliate came as the European Union took similar action. The EU is planning 15 per cent tariffs on U.S. paper, textiles, machinery and farm produce beginning May 1.

"For the last four years, Canada and a number of other countries have repeatedly urged the United States to repeal the Byrd Amendment," International Trade Minister Jim Peterson said.

"Retaliation is not our preferred option, but it is a necessary action. International trade rules must be respected," Peterson said in a release.

·
Registered
170 Posts
It's only going to hurt us, the consumers of those goods.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
This was a long time comming but I don't think it will change the American's minds.

·
Registered
13,365 Posts
Very. What with the Pope dying, and the moon ripening (who knew?) it';s only a matter of time before we all live in popsicle stick huts on the edge of the Mackenzie river, waiting for the sun to come back up (cause it's nucular winter again) and such and such.

The future is going to be very interesting.

·
Registered
170 Posts
[edit]

BAh...nevermind.

·
~ Mysterious Entity ~
4,865 Posts
Lp_Verdun said:
..."Retaliation is not our preferred option, but it is a necessary action. International trade rules must be respected," Peterson said in a release.
Very interesting. Is all this ever going to end?

·
Registered
536 Posts
Damn it Koz! "It's only going to hurt us, the consumers of those goods."
Hurt me baby!

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Oaronuviss said:
BOOOOO YEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

WHAAAAAAT!?
AHH WHAAAAT!?
OOOOOOKAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

*clears throat*
Anyways, yes I'm glad Canada finally hit puberty. Congradulations little buddy.
Now all Canada needs to do is find a girlfriend, then we'd be set :nocrook:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.