SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
5,241 Posts
An image is worth a thousand words. This galore of images has taken me to a place I've never been or seen before.

Thank you for the experience.

·
Registered
120 Posts
There many fantastic areas of Hamilton; however, the city like many, has its share of issues. As the steel city and industrial capital that it is, many of the factories have shut down, leading to higher unemployment. These photos are mostly taken from blue collar areas in the east end, surrounding the mills and factories.

Check out this comprehensive photo thread on some beautiful areas of Hamilton:

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=582580

·
Registered
4,152 Posts
Great photos! It's revealing to see daily life pictures of poorer places in cities of the developed 'North'.

·
Premium Member
11,248 Posts
Nice work :),
A rustbelt city like no other ;)

I wonder: Why hasn't Toronto a positive influence on this city? They are almost twin cities isn't it?

·
Banned
2,164 Posts
Wow, great shots, Flar!

I had always heard that Hamilton is more "blue collar" than other areas of Southern Ontario, but it indeed looks like a very rough city.

It looks like there's some very nice density and infrastructural "bones" there – with an economic jolt it could be a jewel of a city!

·
____
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
This is just one aspect of Hamilton, but it is a real aspect of the city.

The decline is due to the loss of industry over the years, very much the rust belt pattern.

Yes, Toronto is just a bit further up the lake, but I think Toronto has basically choked Hamilton off over the years. Hamilton was never able to diversify its economy beyond manufacturing because of Toronto's pull. Toronto came to overshadow Hamilton, with success after success compared to Hamilton's defeat after defeat, leading Hamiltonians to develop an inferiority complex that mires the city in a self fulfilling prophecy, an infinite loop of defeatism.

·
Illustrator
6,675 Posts
Incredible diversity...seems there are both really rough areas as well as upper class residentials like in the other thread.

Btw, you forgot to name what city the thread is about for those who don't know Hamilton.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts