Ex-mod
7,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Canada doesn't have big stars or anything like that, but we do have this:

Memory of late Prime Minister Trudeau not far away at son's Montreal wedding

Eilis Quinn
Canadian Press

May 28, 2005

Justin Trudeau, son of the late Prime Minister Pierre Trudeau, kisses his new bride Sophie Gregoire after their marriage ceremony in Montreal Saturday. (CP/Ryan Remiorz)

MONTREAL (CP) - As Pierre Trudeau's eldest son Justin married girlfriend Sophie Gregoire in a glamorous service on Saturday, it was clear that the groom's late father was in the thoughts of many.

After the service, the beaming couple jumped into Pierre Trudeau's restored 1960 Mercedes Benz 300 SL roadster that had been shipped to Montreal from Victoria for the special day.

The classic vehicle was festooned in the back with yellow flowers anchored in the middle by a single red rose, the signature flower of the groom's stylish father.

Alexandre Trudeau, who served as his older brother's best man, said their father, who died in 2000, and brother Michel, who lost his life in an avalanche in British Columbia in 1998, were very much a part of the service.

"During the benediciton . . they played Amazing Grace and we thought of lost ones," a misty-eyed Alexandre said after the hour-long ceremony at the Sainte-Madeleine Church in the tony neighbourhood of Outremont.

He described the ceremony as "innocent, beautiful, magical and eclectic" with a gospel choir singing Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah.

"Everybody was crying, everybody was so happy. I am so happy for my brother."

Justin, 33, who did not speak to reporters at all, was greeted with rapturous applause by the few dozen onlookers when he arrived in a gold suit and wearing sunglasses, showing the same fashion individualism as his father often did throughout his colourful life.

The crowd did the same when Gregoire, 30, a former TV host and only daughter of a wealthy Montreal stockbroker, turned up later in a champagne-coloured dress and train.

"I'm the luckiest woman in the world," she shouted to reporters as she entered the church clutching a bouquet of cream-coloured roses.

"Thank you so much," she said, waving to the cheering crowd.

Onlookers described the event as magical.

"It's a fairy tale," said Diane Bastien, 51, watching from her house across the street. "It's beautiful to see this happening for the family after so many tragedies."

Reporters weren't allowed entry to the church and the guest list of about 200 people featured few public figures.

The invitees included Margaret Trudeau, the groom's mother; Ben Mulroney, a son of ex-prime minister Brian Mulroney; and ex-senator Jacques Hebert, a former Trudeau associate and a longtime family friend.

"Justin and his brother Alexandre are like my own children in a way," Hebert said. "I've known them all their lives.

"I've been very close to the family. Everybody should be happy to see such a beautiful marriage with such a marvellous woman as Sophie. There's a kind of joy in the air."

After a reception at a Montreal hotel, the newlyweds were to leave for a month-long honeymoon.

Gregoire said Trudeau hadn't told her where they were going, only that she would not need a parka.

The couple was engaged last Oct. 18 on what would have been Pierre Trudeau's 85th birthday.

While Trudeau's father was considered by many Quebec nationalists as a traitor for patriating the Constitution without the province's approval, Justin's name has not had the same visceral impact over the years.

Many of the onlookers reached out to touch Trudeau as he drove off into his new life.

Trudeau is probably best remembered for the moving eulogy he delivered at his father's funeral at the Notre-Dame Basilica, helping a grieving nation.

Justin was seven when his parents separated and 12 when they divorced.

"It certainly affected me," he recently told Le Journal de Montreal. "But I know today that my father, who like I do, believed in the institution of marriage, would never have remarried because he continued to deeply love my mother Margaret."

© The Canadian Press 2005

---------------------------------------------------

I hope we'll see Trudeau junior in politics one day. :)

·
Registered
436 Posts
Tri-City Guy said:
Ugrh - this is about as exciting and pleasant as watching Ben Mulroney on the telly.
Well, I was watching some paint dry the other day when this news hit. I continued with the paint drying gazing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts