Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Positivist
2,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are some of the biggest Canadian movies ever made?

And I don't mean movies that were directed by Canadians in Hollywood, but actual Canadian movies that were 100% produced in Canada/by Canadians ...

I've tried searching over the internet but cant seem to find any. Is Canada not a big film-producing nation?

·
Registered
13,365 Posts
MuchMusic made that one movie... It sucked though... And then there's that one aboot brooms, eh?... Oh, and there is a Trailer Park Boys movie in the works, that'll probably be okay...

When it comes to making movies, Canada needs a bit of outside help, eh?

Well, there's that one guy.. But his movies are.. different..

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
Last Night is a stellar movie.. directed by Don McKellar takes place in TO.. stars Sandra Oh (Sideways), David Cronenburg and D.M. himself. It's about the end of the world, but everyone knows exactly when it's coming (but it's never revealed what the catacalysmic event actually is). It's very interesting to see how different people react, and what they do with the remaining bit's of their lives (ie: one character has sex with as many people as possible, another finds true love, another keeps working at his mundane job, etc).

It's got an awesome cover... a brilliant shot of a derailed TTC streetcar on an empty, dusty Bay Street. I recommend to to anyone, and you should be able find it at any Blockbuster.

Are David Cronenburg's films shot and made in Canada? I'm not sure.

·
www.mtlurb.com
2,159 Posts
Les invasions Barbares aka The Barbarian invasion.

Its funny how Canadians themselves don't know about it, it won an oscar for best foreign movie in 2004.

·
Registered
199 Posts
American Psycho was a Hollywood film not even set in Canada.

Canadians always brag about Porky's, but as somebody who had to deal with the mouth-breathers in my (American) high school who extolled it, there was nothing Canadian about it; no American knows that it is a "Canadian" movie.

Agree about Last Night, a beautiful, moving film.

FUBAR is amazing! And I don't just say this because Dean's house is about 3 blocks from where I live (in Calgary)

·
Registered
60 Posts
My Canadian movies are "The Snow Walker" and "Les Triplettes de Belleville." Both are absolutly stunning and deserved much more recognition then they recieved. I highly recommend them.

·
Registered
70 Posts
"Highway 61."
Beautiful. The devil drives a Buick. Plus a stunning scene with indoor recreational firearms set to a Tom Jones soundtrack.

Atom Egoyan's oeuvre. Especially "The Adjuster." So disturbing it hurts. Like a bittersweet love song to suburban Toronto.

Oh, you said "Biggest" Canadian films. Well, Anne of Green Gables. You can't get much more inflated than that bit of national iconography, even if it was only for the small screen.

·
Registered
436 Posts
What ?!?! Nobody has even mentioned Strange Brew ! For shame!
lol. There's another one called Foolproof which is fairly new and not too bad either.

·
Registered
855 Posts
fubar is hilarious. since i came out west ive been getting that Molson Old Style Pilsner that the fubar dudes drink. they dont have it in ontario. i like to call it FU-BREW

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
Natelox said:
My Canadian movies are "The Snow Walker" and "Les Triplettes de Belleville." Both are absolutly stunning and deserved much more recognition then they recieved. I highly recommend them.
I second 'The Snow Walker'... great flick based on Farley Mowats book.. stars Barry Pepper and some hot Inuit chick. Very good.

Another good one is 'Atanarjuat (The Fast Runner)'.... all made and set in Nunavut. Good stuff. 'The Sweet Hereafter' is an Aton Egoyan film... I remember enjoying it too.

Canada produces really good work.

·
Positivist
2,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
hmm ... I've never heard of ANY of these movies (except for American Psycho, but someone said thats not even Canadian, its American.. which makes more sense) ...
Do any of these movies ever get released into theatres? I never ever hear about them ... I always thought Canada was a big film producing country, that could make movies like Spiderman, Titanic, Tomb Raider, etc .. you know, big films (high budget films) .. I guess I was wrong though..

What about big Canadian TV Shows? I already know of Just For Laughs, Canadian Air Farce, Train 48 (extremely horrible) .. Are there any others?

·
I need coffee.
1,442 Posts
Wasn't Lion's Gate Films a Canadian company at one point? They've done some nice work. I think it's been eaten up by bigger players in Hollywood, but at least there is a Canadian link there. I believe there is still a studio in Vancouver, but I'm not sure what they do now.

Nobody has mentioned Flesh Gordon.

·
I need coffee.
1,442 Posts
doady said:
Canadian TV shows? Tintin is great. I just bought the DVD set recently.
Isn't Tintin originally from Belgium?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts