Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope I'm not the only soccer lover here but with the upcoming Gold Cup and FIFA U-20 World Cup I thought there should be a thread on this.

Well last night there was International action with Canada taking on Venezuela in Maracaibo. Final score was a 2-2 draw. Great for Canada!

PS: There was also a Montreal Impact FC vs. Vancouver Whitecaps FC last nitgh; 0-0 draw. Today there will be match in Toronto as TFC takes on Colorado.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Canadian Footballers Abroad

Canadian Footballers Abroad

Asmir Begović - Portsmouth F.C. (england)

Lars Hirschfeld - Rosenborg BK (norway)

Joshua Wagenaar - ADO Den Haag (Netherlands)

André Hainault - FK SIAD Most (czech republic)

Michael Klukowski - Club Brugge K.V. (belgium)

Paul Stalteri - Tottenham Hotspur (england)

Josh Simpson - FC Kaiserslautern (germany)

Patrice Bernier - Tromso (norway)

Julian de Guzman - Deportivo la coruna (spain)

Rhian Dodds - Kilmarnock F.C. (scotland)

Sandro Grande - Molde (norway)

Atiba Hutchinson - F.C. Copenhagen (denmark)

Daniel Imhof - VfL Bochum (germany)

Nikolas Ledgerwood - Wacker Burghausen (germany)

Issey Nakajima-Farran - Vejle Boldklub (denmark)

Iain Hume - Leicester City F.C. (england)

David Edgar - Newcastle United (england)

Tomasz Radzinski - ex-Fulham (england)

Rob Friend - SC Heerenveen (on loan to Heracles Almelo) (Netherlands)

Will Johnson - SC Heerenveen (Netherlands)

Olivier Occean - Lillestrøm S.K. (norway)

·
Registered
617 Posts
Very good thread!:cheers:

There is a huge market in Canada for this sport. Just take a look at the attendance + spending at BMO Field for TFC. (Btw I work there as a food vendor haha)....somebody is going to make a lot of money, at the same time helping the development soccer in the country.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Julián De Guzman double helps Canada edge Costa Rica

MIAMI (Reuters) - Canada came from behind to beat Costa Rica 2-1 on Wednesday in the opening game of the CONCACAF Gold Cup with two goals from midfielder Julian de Guzman.

The victory at a rainy Orange Bowl put Canada on top of Group A with three points ahead of the evening's second group match between Haiti and Guadeloupe.

Deportivo La Coruna's De Guzman broke the deadlock at 1-1 in the 73rd minute when he stole the ball and sent a 20-yard chip past Costa Rica keeper Jose Francisco Porras.

A scoreless game had come to life shortly after the break.

In the 57th minute, Costa Rica's Walter Centeno took a pass from teammate Leonardo Gonzalez and from outside of the box curved in a shot past goalkeeper Pat Onstad.

De Guzman struck back less than a minute later when he hit a 20-yard rocket past Porras to level.

The teams return to action in Miami on Saturday when Canada face Guadeloupe and Costa Rica play Haiti.

The CONCACAF Gold Cup, which will be played in six U.S. cities this month, will determine the champion of the region that includes North America, Central America and the Caribbean.

The champion will earn an automatic berth at the 2009 FIFA Confederations Cup.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Great win by Canada over Costa Rica. A number of people have said that was the best Canada has looked in quite a long time. The second goal by De Guzman was a fabulous move and strike.

Given the depth in the group, it's almost certain Canada will move on to the quarterfinals. Just need to beat Gaudaloupe today.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Good grief. That's the reason why Canada has a difficult time winning over fans. What a piss poor display. It's almost like they didn't care to win.

Good to see that the poor Guadalope player (Vertot?) made a miraculous recovery after receiving a terrible "head injury". I thought he would require brain surgery right there and then. A great way to waste 5 or so minutes. The guy looked like he was wearing a turban after all those bandages were applied.

·
Registered
13 Posts
CONCACAF football at its best - mortal injuries followed by miraculous recoveries!

I just can't figure out the Canadian team. They look like world beaters one day and pathetic the next.

·
www.mtlurb.com
2,159 Posts
Because I was at the Montreal Impact vs Vancouver Whitecaps game about a week ago and there was advertizing every other minute or so !!! I was really annoyed by it.

1 - 20 of 106 Posts