SkyscraperCity banner

Which Supreme Court look the best?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
I don't know why but for some reason I can never help thinking that the SCOC building would be a more fitting home for Bank of Canada. To me, there is just something about it that says "monetary policy" rather than "transparent justice".

·
38,910 Posts
The US Supreme Court is wonderful, but doesn't stand out from the crowd. That style has been done to death and is best suited for less prominent buildings. I'll go with the Canadian Supreme Court. It's a powerful design and will never be confused with some random museum somewhere.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Aesthetically I prefer the US Supreme Court, although I have to agree with krnboy1009 and isaidso: the neo-classical style for a court of justice is such a staple of architecture in so many countries around the world, it's almost as if they came out of a kit. Even the statues and symbols are pretty much the same wherever you may be.

In fact this goes for a lot of neo-classical buildings everywhere, and it's why I prefer neo-gothic - there is more room for variety in my opinion.

·
Lost in the Big Apple
1,981 Posts
The US Supreme Court has a more intimidating presence but it's architecture is very common. Therefore, I picked the Canadian Supreme Court. It almost looks like a hotel, not sure if its a good thing or bad

·
Existere et persistere
9,414 Posts
US SC is a standard and decent neoclassicist work. I saw the Canadian one first time now, and I'm positively surprised with it. Very interesting, felicitous mixture of Chateau and Art Deco styles.

·
38,910 Posts
US SC is a standard and decent neoclassicist work. I saw the Canadian one first time now, and I'm positively surprised with it. Very interesting, felicitous mixture of Chateau and Art Deco styles.
French Chateau style under went quite a few modifications in the New World in the 1800s and early 1900s. It morphed into a hybrid architecture only found in Canada as interest in Chateau style in the rest of America was almost non-existent (for obvious reasons). This hybrid architecture is sometimes referred to as Canadian Chateau Style and is best exemplified in the grand railway hotels that dot the country.

The Canadian Supreme Court building is another example in the same vein. It's roots are French, but with strong New World influences. In this regard, the Royal York Hotel and the Canadian Supreme Court are the most quintessentially Canadian buildings. They are Canadian adaptations of an old world architecture.

·
Bike It!
22,248 Posts
Canadian Supreme Court. The American SC is nice but just another Greek-style temple.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts