Skyscraper City Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As many as 1,000 Canadian troops at a time are expected to soon be constantly rotating through Europe. It will be the first time that Canada has so many troops across the pond since it closed two bases in Germany’s Black Forest when the Cold War ended.

The Canadians are to be part of an urgent NATO plan to try to rein in Vladimir Putin’s revanchist ambitions in eastern Europe, which appears to be rapidly transitioning this week from a covert to an overt war for eastern Ukraine with the opening of a new front south of Donetsk.

The alliance is following the Pentagon’s script for the forward deployment of U.S. Marines in northern Australia because of its relative proximity to China. NATO’s civilian boss, Anders Fogh Rasmussen, told me in an interview a couple of months ago that what the Marines were doing Down Under was a likely model for alliance deployments in eastern Europe.

Rasmussen confirmed to European journalists ahead of next week’s NATO summit in Wales that the alliance will open new bases in eastern Europe. Troops from countries such as Canada will rotate through these bases for stays of several months at a time. But Rasmussen went further, declaring the creation of a spearhead within an existing rapid reaction force to deal with potential emergencies in the east.

By not permanently stationing troops in Poland or the three Baltic state, NATO will save on some infrastructure costs as well as the considerable costs of housing and schooling the troops’ families.

The most important selling point is political. NATO can claim that the bases are not permanent, which is a much easier sell in western Europe and Canada. Semantics aside, by talking about this now rather than waiting for the summit, Rasmussen was probably trying to pre-empt opposition from German Chancellor Angela Merkel who remains wobbly about confronting Moscow because her country, like most of western Europe, is heavily dependent on Russian oil and gas.
Read more at: http://o.canada.com/news/canadian-t...part-of-nato-plan-to-rein-in-putins-ambitions

:applause: This is fantastic news.

·
Premium Member
79,203 Posts
I am not in agreement with you. It is not our place to throw ourselves into every squirmish around the planet. Sometimes long simmering feuds have to be settled by the two parties involved, or they will never be completely settled. I thought that was a lesson we should have learned with Afghanistan and Iraq, but it appears our memories are shorter than I realised.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
We're finally getting up and doing something, it's no longer just attempting to appease an aggressor.

This is will only lead to more positive developments.
Doing something? What are we doing exactly? It's not our problem and not our place to interfere. If Russia is an aggressor, Europeans are perfectly capable of dealing with it.

Canada has obligations as a NATO member, sure, but to be happy and to think that this is actually "doing something" is naive. Russia isn't North Korea and Canada isn't a warmongering country like USA. Calm yourself.

·
🇺🇸🏈🍕👌
730 Posts
I think these money would be better used helping our veterans coping with important problems like PTSD, instead to send troops in Europe in an attempt to intimidate Putin. 1000 Canadian soldiers? I bet Vladimir tremble at the thought of it.

What's happening in Europe is none of our business and we should stay out of that mess.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think these money would be better used helping our veterans coping with important problems like PTSD, instead to send troops in Europe in an attempt to intimidate Putin. 1000 Canadian soldiers? I bet Vladimir tremble at the thought of it.

What's happening in Europe is none of our business and we should stay out of that mess.
Funding isn't always a zero-sum game. I don't necessarily have to take money from here, to put it somewhere else. What's happening in Europe is completely our business, even if it isn't, making it partly our business is going to make policies favourable towards Canada. You can be as anti-interventionist as you want, but I definitely agree with this.

This could not only provide greater relations with Europe (wink, wink Free Trade Agreement) but it also provides soldiers with training and could potentially have Russia step back and talk seriously rather than with soldiers.
This is a global world, there is no more isolation, we are all globally connected one way or another with people from all across the globe.

There is no more "us vs them" or "This is there problem." They are all our problems and to be a part of this globally connected economy, you have to be willing to make sacrifices. Just as people sacrifice funds in the form of taxes to provide them with vast opportunities.

Israel and Gaza are world problems, Russia and Europe are global problems, the Islamic State and Iraq is a global problem, the events occuring in Pakistan and India are global problems. There is no more for "leave it to them." I'm not suggesting we go to war with Russia, but it's a hell of a lot better then standing around with our thumb up our asses and doing nothing. Europe is taking steps and as their allies, it's our duty to help in their goals and objectives. Period.

So we can choose between removing ourselves from the globe, staying neutral (which is pretty impossible) or expanding our influence in it.

1,172 Posts
I am happy that Canada is involving. Not like many EU countries, who just "talk". 75 years ago there was a man, not stopped by anyone, who first grabbed part of one country, then invaded another country, starting the World War II by this.
Now, there is another guy, who is trying to steal another's country part, and who threatens other countries to "not involve against them", because they are one of the biggest nuclear powers in the world.

This guy have to be stopped, so we will not experience this again.

·
Registered
687 Posts
^^ Bad comparison.

Hitler was not only allowed to militarize Germany, but the European countries encourage him to do so. They were hoping that a strong Germany would stop the possible invasion of communism.

·
Premium Member
79,203 Posts
In my humble opinion, nothing really has truly changed in either Iraq or Afghanistan since the Iraq invasion, but America would be in a MUCH stronger position today if it didn't have to spend billions per year in supporting a foreign war that perhaps would have been better settled without interference. We don't always have to be Saviours of the Planet. There are times we could actually put that money into solving very real and very present problems in our own country.
My hope is that when Harper is given the boot (not "if", not "maybe', but "when") we can get back to a sane approach to International politics that is not based on puny individual testosterone and flag waving.

In the meantime, we have problems of our own....

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We do have problems of our own, but if we have to sacrifice international policy and diplomacy for domestic ones then that's saying a long about our country and government and that we have failed on a lot of fronts.

We don't have to focus only on domestic issues, we can also focus on international issues as well.

·
D & Y
99,874 Posts
The only country could have stopped the bears is the US but Ronald Reagan is long gone and Obama is the Mr. Nice president nobody scares of. Anyway, the US is too poor to afford any major warfare not until they pay off the trillions dollars debts. The Germany led EU doesn't really want to face off with Russia since they will be in the dark age if Russia stop supplying oil and natural gas to them. In other words, the Ukraine is doomed. :eek:hno:

·
39,909 Posts
Russia has proven that they can't be trusted. They have no respect for international law the sovereignty of nations, they're expansionist, and think they're still living in 1920. Nations in Europe need to militarize. If Ukraine had a big military presence in Crimea, Russia would never have invaded and annexed it.

Militarizing Europe is an effective deterrent. Ukraine's folly was to view Russia as its friend. Nations are waking up to the fact that they're living next to a dangerous nation and they're in a position of weakness. I have no issue with Canada permanently basing troops in Europe. Sending them to Ukraine would be great, but Russia would likely go off the deep end even if it were Ukraine inviting us there.

1,172 Posts

Europe nations have to militarize for sure. Poland is starting this process already.

Ukraine was in really baaaad conditions for around 25 years since the collapse of the USSR. This war will learn them a lot.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
We do have problems of our own, but if we have to sacrifice international policy and diplomacy for domestic ones then that's saying a long about our country and government and that we have failed on a lot of fronts.

We don't have to focus only on domestic issues, we can also focus on international issues as well.
You're not getting it. What exactly does your involvement accomplish apart from wasting the taxes I and other Canadians pay?

Again, NATO duties aside, you have to understand that Canada isn't a player in world politics. You don't have to sacrifice "international policy and diplomacy" because you, as a Canadian, don't have a say and will never have a say. That's a fact and frankly, I want it to be like that.

Canada should stick to UN peace keeping missions and its duties as a NATO member. Going above and beyond and cheering it on is laughable and a waste of the nation's resources. Nationalism and murican type bravado is for the weak minded.

All that aside, Russia and Europe are still "besties" and you want to send in the storm troopers! Despite the rhetoric, the EU and Russia are trading with each other and cooperating in many fields. There are issues and the parties involved will solve them. Edit: and yes, I do know about the recent hiccups with Russia banning certain agricultural products coming in from the EU and EU's limited sanctions.

Useless bravado will accomplish nothing, but to diminish our reputation and bring unnecessary headache to future trade and economic relationships.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Russia has proven that they can't be trusted. They have no respect for international law the sovereignty of nations, they're expansionist, and think they're still living in 1920.
Do these words only apply to nations you don't like or are they for everyone?

Western nations, our brothers to the south specifically, have made more advances on sovereign nations than Russia ever has. Regarding international law, again, USA and its allies have disregarded more UNSC resolutions than Russia and have invaded more nations without UN approval than Russia. In addition, federally funded American organizations have funded militias and created coups around the world for more than 6 decades.

So let's not use these colorful populist words, because they mean nothing.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Western nations, our brothers to the south specifically, have made more advances on sovereign nations than Russia ever has. Regarding international law, again, USA and its allies have disregarded more UNSC resolutions than Russia and have invaded more nations without UN approval than Russia. In addition, federally funded American organizations have funded militias and created coups around the world for more than 6 decades.

So let's not use these colorful populist words, because they mean nothing.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tu_quoque

·
🇺🇸🏈🍕👌
730 Posts
I have no issue with Canada permanently basing troops in Europe. Sending them to Ukraine would be great, but Russia would likely go off the deep end even if it were Ukraine inviting us there.
You agree to send troops in Europe but you aren't aware that the Rangers, who patrol the lands in the Artict, are terribly underequipped. They're still using a 100 years old rifle. Russians could invade us from the north and we wouldn't know it until they reach Ottawa.

·
39,909 Posts
^^ So it's a one or the other proposition in your opinion?

If you want a serious reply it's best not to insult people at the same time.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.