Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Noticed this hadn't been posted so thought I would put it up. Mix of dense townhouses with rooftop gardens and an apartment block on the canal side of the site. The development would demolish all of the industrial building onsite but leave the buildings which are along Armley Road. A total of 137 unit is planned comprising of 77 townhouses, 57 apartments and 3 commercial units. The townhouses also feature private communal gardens between each block as well as private gardens. Design is by Nick Brown architects.

https://publicaccess.leeds.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=P0FIDOJBHE000

·
Back home
4,217 Posts
We did know of some sketchy plans which surfaced a few months ago and have caused outcry because of the potential loss of a much-loved cultural/leisure facility. Can't locate the posts though.

If the current Canal Mills provision can be replicated somewhere nearby, I would love to see the wider area here developed, but I doubt they are compatible.

Looking through the application, I’m liking comments in a letter from Mr Richard Horne of The Commercial Boat Operators Association ‘we suggest that canal transport should be used as much as possible during the demolition and construction phase’.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Unless there is a provision for keeping Canal Mills alive in a different suitable venue this should be blocked with no option.

The renders are shockingly bad and provide bland canyons of masonry and tarmac similar to the awful back-to-back terraces that plague Leeds currently.

Mysteriously I also cant find the posts where this was discussed, was it in the official Leeds thread?

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
The renders are shockingly bad and provide bland canyons of masonry and tarmac similar to the awful back-to-back terraces that plague Leeds currently.
That render really is ghastly but I think that's because it's not been through any proper rendering software, the pattern looks like a stock one from SketchUp and there's not landscaping shown. It looks much better in the elevation drawings - although it says not to scale, the building next to Castleton Mill is probably one storey too tall; the top floor should be set in or be a roof with dormers maybe, or just be lost all together so that the mill remains the dominant element.

On the loss of Canal Mills - it would be a crying shame but it's quite hard to defend a main town centre use in an out-of-town centre location like this; they only just (before Christmas) got permission for its current use at all, and the conditions state that this use has to discontinue before the end of 2022, so it's days are numbered regardless. Oh and the fact that no one has commented on the application to support its current use doesn't help.

·
Registered
7,731 Posts
well it looks better on those diagrams above that Ttebroc posted than on the earlier renders, btw there must be some suitable unused industrial buildings across the river on Kirkstall road that the Canal Mills music venue could relocate to in a couple of years ?

·
Registered
326 Posts
Its a bit Grim down there for residential. This site as well as the Strata site will benefit hugely with a footbridge getting opened up to Upper Reach / Otter Island development but I think the Strata residents may be against it?
Depending on what happens with the Premier Farnell Site when they move, the whole way up to the Old Krupp Site the could be loads of building down here. Interesting times.

On a side note projects have been and gone through the years. Has there every been anything proposed for the vacant site with Armely Road on one side, the train tracks on the other that fronts onto the A58 with round building opposite??

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Its a bit Grim down there for residential. This site as well as the Strata site will benefit hugely with a footbridge getting opened up to Upper Reach / Otter Island development but I think the Strata residents may be against it?
Depending on what happens with the Premier Farnell Site when they move, the whole way up to the Old Krupp Site the could be loads of building down here. Interesting times.

On a side note projects have been and gone through the years. Has there every been anything proposed for the vacant site with Armely Road on one side, the train tracks on the other that fronts onto the A58 with round building opposite??
If I've understood correctly and got the right site, there was a planning application in 2004:

20/112/03/FU - 420 flats in part 6 7 8 11 17 21 24 and 26 storey block with ground floor retail unit and car park and 5 storey car park

It was submitted by Carey Jones. Unfortunately as it pre-dates the online system there are no plans, images or anything. I can't find anything from google either. The application was only in for a week before it was withdrawn.

Then there was a pre-application submitted in 2006 although there aren't any further details on that.

It's then referred to in the 2009 Strategic Housing Land Availability Assessment - it notes that the site is unsuitable for residential because of noise issues from the road and train line, and that it is preferable to retain the site for commercial development.

It's not been allocated for any residential development since, so I'd presume it's not going to be residential any time soon.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Thanks Ttebroc,

Must be one of the bigger empty plots around this area without anything mentioned about it. Would have thought the Greenbank would be worse as far as the train noise goes. Its only a small frontage onto the A58.

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Thanks Ttebroc,

Must be one of the bigger empty plots around this area without anything mentioned about it. Would have thought the Greenbank would be worse as far as the train noise goes. Its only a small frontage onto the A58.
I think the argument can be made for Greenbank that it's well connected to the town centre, closer to other residential development and doesn't front onto a busy road. The problem with the A58 is access to the site as well; a 420 flat development might have massive implications for the road network. As the city centre expands out this way and the works to the Armley Gyratory take place there's nothing to stop this site becoming more sustainable in the future.

·
Registered
7,731 Posts
yes allowing that strata housing estate on the big stretch of land between the river and canal that could have been the location for something more interesting and accessible to the public for cyclists and walkers was a big mistake imo. At the time the council were seemingly desperate for development of any kind so there's no chance of that the old green Yorkshire Chemicals bridge re. opening and linking Burley with the canal and Armley anytime soon.
some canal mills pics, showing the ever expanding skyline of Burley/little Woodhouse across the river, a shame to lose that 'maurice dixon canal mills' brick tower imo

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
Real shame to lose this and I don't feel it is an appropriate place for residential, was only a couple of years back that a neighbouring site had that massive toxic chemical fire, wouldn't want to be living there if that goes up again. On the other hand, it's a Nick Brown designed scheme, so unlikely to ever make a start anyway :wink2:

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Unless there is a provision for keeping Canal Mills alive in a different suitable venue this should be blocked with no option.

Mysteriously I also cant find the posts where this was discussed, was it in the official Leeds thread?

Have to agree with you there. My first impression was this looked like back to backs. I've also noticed that a lot of the rooftop gardens have a lot of unnecessary brick work which would block out light to them. The brick looks very dark so like others have said maybe this is just bad preview renders.

It would be a real shame if canal mills can't find a suitable space to relocate. Does anyone know of any other companies that are currently operating on the site?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts