Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 1107 Posts

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Canberra has spent $50M on extending their runway by 600m so larger and VIP planes will be able to land and takeoff.
Canberra is extending their services International. There will be direct flights to Singapore, New Zealand, Hawaii and Japan. There will be more domestic services aswell. There will be a new International Terminal etc..
Read the Master Plan: http://www.canberraairport.com.au/pl_mp.htm
Read at http://www.canberraairport.com.au/ and http://www.canberraairport.com.au/pdfs/hub32.pdf
The airport upgrades have been on local news almost every night.
All this is an initiative to take away some traffic from sydney airport.

·
Premium Member
9,602 Posts
Cool

I remember years ago hearing a story concerning Canberra airport. Back in the days when Mystery Flights were quite popular, some Canberra guys wanted to take one, and wanting an exciting flight, drove to Sydney in the hope their mystery flight would go somewhere good, as Sydney had more destination options.

Their mystery flight was to Canberra.

·
i've changed my mind
3,879 Posts
Aussie Bhoy said:
Cool

I remember years ago hearing a story concerning Canberra airport. Back in the days when Mystery Flights were quite popular, some Canberra guys wanted to take one, and wanting an exciting flight, drove to Sydney in the hope their mystery flight would go somewhere good, as Sydney had more destination options.

Their mystery flight was to Canberra.
:lol: priceless

·
Registered
359 Posts
chrisboy47 said:
Canberra is extending their services International. There will be direct flights to Singapore, New Zealand, Hawaii and Japan. There will be more domestic services aswell. There will be a new International Terminal etc.
Why do I find this hard to believe?

·
Here Since 2002
7,256 Posts
I find it hard to believe Canberra has an airport...

seriously though, I don't think there'd be a lot of international interest in our nation's capital. take away traffic from Kingsford Smith? Build another airport in Sydney, expand Bankstown or something. that or get an Australian TGV/Bullet Train from Canberra to Sydney. of course you know i'm dreaming ;)

·
Here
6,589 Posts
I think it is an arrogant statement to say you find it hard to believe Canberra has an airport. I would find it hard to believe if Canberra didn't have an airport. I am sure all these (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_embassies_in_Canberra) embassies would love it if they were only served by Sydney, not to mention the 300,000 ppl living there.

Canberra does have a lot to offer tourists who have an interest in Australia, more then just tourist gimics of the outback and the bridge. Plus the snow is only a a short drive away, this too might have a part to play in the market they are going for?

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
renell said:
I find it hard to believe Canberra has an airport...

seriously though, I don't think there'd be a lot of international interest in our nation's capital. take away traffic from Kingsford Smith? Build another airport in Sydney, expand Bankstown or something. that or get an Australian TGV/Bullet Train from Canberra to Sydney. of course you know i'm dreaming ;)
Canberra is a lot bigger than you think, With canberra and the terittory bordering towns canberra serves 371,000 people. As of the Airports yearly review the Canberra Airport had served 2 Million people last year.

Well I think and know Canberra Would be great with an International airport.

·
Registered
4,693 Posts
I agree with renell to the extent that I dont think an expansion of services from CBR will in any way make a dent in SYD's traffic. CBR is an independant entity which has nothing at all to do with Sydney. Any flights to Singapore, New Zealand, Hawaii and Japan will be for the local market ie:Canberra. There could be seasonal flights from Japan in the winter for ski vacationers potentially.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah as you say KIWIKAAS that the canberra airport won't really change much and cater to our areas people. But it may help a bit with less People in the ACT reigon not having to travel to sydney and use you International airport to go overseas. But did you know at the moment Sydeny Airport handle 26 million people a year and they said by the year 2020 they will be handling 64 million people. So thats the main reason this "second" Airport intiative was made.
Even read about that in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingsford_Smith_International_Airport
It's in the first paragraph.

·
Yeah but No!!
1,514 Posts
They've been talking about extending Canberra Airport to take some of the pressure off Sydney and linking the two with a VFT (very fast train as it was then called) for about 10 years. I think its great that they are going to extend the airport as the current terminal is too small and a little dated. This will do great things for Canberra, airport expansion always renews confidence in a city.

·
Lacking an Akubra!
4,546 Posts
^^ I've heard of talks of International Flights to Singapore, they had flights to Fiji a few months ago, but I don't know if they are still going, they were seasonal though too.

Canberra is a great airport, nice and busy in the mornings with 5 Qantas 737's and only one Virgin 737, a nice and convenient airport at that.

·
Registered
4,693 Posts
chrisboy47 said:
Yeah as you say KIWIKAAS that the canberra airport won't really change much and cater to our areas people. But it may help a bit with less People in the ACT reigon not having to travel to sydney and use you International airport to go overseas. But did you know at the moment Sydeny Airport handle 26 million people a year and they said by the year 2020 they will be handling 64 million people. So thats the main reason this "second" Airport intiative was made.
Even read about that in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingsford_Smith_International_Airport
It's in the first paragraph.
I think CBR has a population base and enough wealth to justify more route choice. Look at international destination choices from NZ cities with less population than Canberra.
I am fully aware of the passenger volumes at SYD and the projected 68 million for 2023 (whether I believe that KSIA will be able to cater for that on its own is another story), but CBRs potential growth and development runs on its own path and is not interlinked with SYD's future growth.

·
Banned
460 Posts
I'm sure the upgrade of Canberra Airport will be a boost for the area, especially for business and tourism, but I can't see how it's going to take much pressure off Sydney Airport (KSA). I'd say that Canberra area users would only make up a small proportion of all KSA users for a start, so even if they could use their own airport for all international flights it would not relieve KSA very much. Also, the number and variety of international flights from Canberra is quite limited (at least for now) e.g. none to the USA or the UK, so most would still have to use KSA for international flights.

·
Registered
4,693 Posts
Jean Luc said:
Also, the number and variety of international flights from Canberra is quite limited (at least for now) e.g. none to the USA or the UK, so most would still have to use KSA for international flights.
There are no scheduled international flights. Indeed ''quite'' limited.

·
A Christchurch Son
4,530 Posts
Excellent Thread.....

Great to see another dedicated international airport site from Australasia!!

Come and vist our Christchurch International and Auckland International threads.

Will be back to check this one out!!

·
©
9,478 Posts
Gertzy said:
^^ I've heard of talks of International Flights to Singapore, they had flights to Fiji a few months ago, but I don't know if they are still going, they were seasonal though too.

Canberra is a great airport, nice and busy in the mornings with 5 Qantas 737's and only one Virgin 737, a nice and convenient airport at that.
Nah Air Pacific cut flights a few months ago. But they could bring them back again as they are seasonal as you stated.

CBR is a good airport for pilot training, i did up to my GFPT license there with Brindabella Airlines. I only had 4 hours of general aviation flying when i got sent on my 1st solo in the circut! :)

·
Here Since 2002
7,256 Posts
Canberra airport will serve Canberra well that's assured, about Sydney....maybe when the Sydney conurbation machine eats up Goulburn...I think most of the traffic will be domestic, it'll help the NSW ski resorts that's true.

·
Lacking an Akubra!
4,546 Posts
Though with International flights, The last few times I went through Canberra Airport, It seemed to be more a business orientated airport, due to the number of business activity there via Government and such.

So if any International Flights are set up, they would really also possibly be relevent to Canberra's Government and Business Activity, like say, CBR-WEL 3x weekly or so on.

·
A Christchurch Son
4,530 Posts
Gertzy said:
Though with International flights, The last few times I went through Canberra Airport, It seemed to be more a business orientated airport, due to the number of business activity there via Government and such.

So if any International Flights are set up, they would really also possibly be relevent to Canberra's Government and Business Activity, like say, CBR-WEL 3x weekly or so on.
You would think that a direct regular Canberra - Wellington link would be the most natural of 'international' links. Would do both cities the world of good.

What are the regular direct international and domestsic destinations from Canberra, and what airlines fly in and out of the airport?

1 - 20 of 1107 Posts