SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Go Krauthammer!
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After two and a half years o/s I have returned to Canberra and I had a walk around civic to re-acquaint myself with Canberra's downtown. Here are the pics I managed to take b/f my camera battery died (must remember to re-charge).

This is a typical example of the apartment buildings which have sprung up in the inner suburbs of Canberra and Civic.

The banality of evil. The new ATO HQ in Civic.

The new extension to the Canberra Centre. It turned out pretty well, IMO.

Inside the Canberra Centre (the old part).

Garema Place.

I'm not usually a fan of graffeti but this is pretty cool.

Outside the new ACT Library.

Entrance to the ACT Assembly.

The latest offering from the Canberra Theatre.

I'm not sure what these are.

Glebe Park.

Ghandi watches over Glebe Park.

Central Park New York? Nup, Glebe Park Canberra!

The refurbished Convention Centre.

A large apartment complex under construction that overlooks Glebe Park

Overall impressions; There has been quite a few changes to Canberra over the last two and a half years! Mostly for the better. Some nice new buildings (I didn't get a chance to take snaps of the new construction in city west) and I like the increase in apartment living which appears to have emerged in and around Civic. It was a cold Saturday afternoon, so my shots don't really convey the buzz of the city, but there was certainly plenty of activity around the Canberra Centre restaurants and coffee shops, etc. It may never be Melbourne or Sydney, but I sense that Canberra is finally maturing as a city. it just needs a decent public transport system.

·
Banned
1,298 Posts
I was just thinking that Alphaville - good questions! Anything but "alive and modern", and timmy has probably never left the UK.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
great pics except for the very first appartment building... i though we left that style of architecture back in the early 70s

·
Banned
1,298 Posts
From one thread, so the thread might have got pictures that made the place looked dead,
Which is true - it is. Hardly even a CBD - it's about the same on the significance-o-metre as Woden Town Centre. More significant than Cooleman Court though.

big deal all i did was say a compliment and a positive one as well.
Photos are good quality, Canberra is not.

·
Registered
8,606 Posts
whilst those photo's make civic look pretty nice... its not

Its a souless shitty place, all those fallen leaves are hiding the true grime, grey and ugly look that civic actually has.

Yes the new buildings do 'modernize' the area, but they do not contribute anything to the social fabric of the area, none of the governemnt buildings have podiums with shops or anything remotely interesting, apart from your standard coffe shop for the office employees.

You walk through civic in winter, and its dead, no leaves, no people, no flowers or any kind of color. My friends from Brisbane when they visitied me down there and they went to civic actually laughed at the place.

The shopping centre expansion has being a great contribution to the area and makes it remotely attractive, though in saying that, the buidling is does not really open up to the street scape to well, on one side(airport side) there is a wall of carparks, and on the other side there is a few shops but mostly just uninviting walls.

·
Agenda 21 Advocate
4,151 Posts
Actually, when I lived there (Lyons, to be exact), I thought that Canberra was a beautiful city. And Platypus is right; Canberra DOES need some good transportation (even though ACTION is pretty decent). There are proposals to build a light rail system for all of ACT.

·
6,555 Posts
Yes the new buildings do 'modernize' the area, but they do not contribute anything to the social fabric of the area, none of the governemnt buildings have podiums with shops or anything remotely interesting, apart from your standard coffe shop for the office employees.
Agreed.

The shopping centre expansion has being a great contribution to the area and makes it remotely attractive
I strongly disagree. Canberra has many pedestrian malls around that area of the city. All of the activity from these and the surrounding streets has now been sucked up by the shopping centre. There's dozens of vacant shops around the city with For Lease signs under "We have moved to the Canberra Centre." It's quite a shock to walk out of the packed shopping centre to the empty outdoor malls, when in all the major cities the reverse happens.

I've always found it interesting that Woden has more of a CBD feel than Civic. It's probably to do with the way the Westfield is a maze of claustrophobic arcades rather than a grand, straight mall.

·
Registered Abuser
2,903 Posts
'Downtown Canberra', you have been in the US too long.

Canberra is at it's best in Autumn, when I was there I was surprised at how busy Civic was - especially at night. Manuka and Civic are starting to become quite the little cosmopolitan areas.

Well done Platypus!

·
Banned
1,298 Posts
Civic at night is a place for junkies and ferals who wait for buses. ACTION is a shitty bus network, too.

I find it ironic that Canberra's tallest building isn't even in Civic - 'tis Lovett Tower at Woden Town Centre.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Nice shots, I like the autumunal colours and atmopshere but I think I would really need another trip there to contextualize all these new buildings and see whether it is contributing to an inner-city atmosphere, or if civic still seems like a giant outdoor bus station.

Also this is pretty creepy:

1 - 20 of 56 Posts