Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can everybody that knows of future proposed buildings please notify everybody on this thread.

So far from sites like Emporis and skyscraperpage, The only proposed buildings being made will be the 18 marcus clark building.

·
Registered
77,309 Posts
well, i try to get info from Canberra but hard from sydney. Im sure there are many projects in pipeline. As for tall bldgs, the CBD height limit is approx 15st/60m, so not sure about super scrapers yet.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Perhaps with the new expansion of the airport more people will come to canberra which = more buisinesses, which = more buildngs, which = more density, which then = less space to build buildings on, which = the need for taller buildings, which = in 30 years many more tall buildings in canberra!
go to http://skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=349537 read my thread about the airport.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I don't think you'll ever get very tall buildings in central Canberra. I think they are trying to keep them lower to not take attention away from Parliament House. Woden on the other hand.....

·
Registered
8,590 Posts
Why have every city in Oz with tall ones? I like the way Canerra has kept it low and it does monumental architecture better than any other city here IMO.

It's low-rise high-density around the downtown and inner-city areas is proving quite unique too.

·
Registered
257 Posts
^^
I agree. Along with the weather, it gives Canberra an almost European feel...

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
A nice thought but I would be very surprised to see this in 30 years time, 100 years maybe, but I think Canberra would need to see a dramtic population rise and inward investment to see this happen.

·
Registered
42 Posts
yeah, it just ain't gonna happen. But it would be nice to see at least one 20+ storey building in Civic.

The fact that the ATO (one of the biggest employers in the city) is only getting a building that tops out at 12 storeys says pretty much everything about Canberra's long term development. There will be new buildings, but they won't be particularly tall.

But on the plus side we are getting more density in Civic. I took a wander around section 84 on saturday and it is really filling out. East Civic will have a really decent streetscape when the projects are finished. It feels like Canberra is shaking off the country town/suburbia feel and getting a more modern urban feel.

·
Registered
77,309 Posts
^ its 60m/200ft.the RL at lake Burley griffith is 555m and base of Telstra tower is 617m, thus 62m. so if you build down near shoreline at Rl2m, then 60m can be achieved. the CBd itself is RL571m, add 46m/150ft and you get RL617m -- base of telstra tower. hence height controls.maybe they think they dont want bldgs higher then base of telstra tower?
i dont think having 100m+ blgs would destroy cityscape of canberra. only enhance it.

·
Yeah but No!!
1,514 Posts
I seem to remember from when I was a kid that one of the reasons for the height limits in Canberra was so that none of the buildings were taller than the surrounding hills, thus keeping the bush capital feeling. Personally, I like the fact that Canberra doesnt have lots of talls, I think a low dense cityscape makes Canberra stand out.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Huge land release in city, suburbs

Kanchan Dutt
Wednesday, 16 August 2006

A huge injection of land into the residential and commercial sectors will come on line later this year under plans announced by the ACT Government.

A 40,000sqm block of Civic office space capable of accommodating up to 3000 workers will be the "trigger" for an overhaul of City Hill, while 1200 greenfield sites will be released in Gungahlin and Bonython to soak up the acute need for housing.

Planning Minister Simon Corbell hailed the news as proof the Government was listening to growing calls for land release, which have heightened since the Federal Government announced it was to create as many as 5000 public-sector jobs in Canberra. But he denied it was a reaction to fears that Commonwealth departments were considering moving out of the city because of a shortage of sites for expansion.

The ACT Property Council expressed concerns yesterday that a lack of affordable housing in the territory would force the Federal Government to close down offices and move elsewhere, but Mr Corbell labelled the comments "exaggerated".

The minister said the national budget had brought about a dramatic change in the need for land in Canberra, property groups changing from asking for land release to be restricted to pleading with him for space for development to be rapidly put on the market.

"I have been working on this for a couple of months, since the Federal Government budget, because we have known we will need to further increase land supply," he said.

"The Commonwealth public service is continuing to grow, which was not expected before the budget, and indeed people were saying do not release more land until there is demand for another major development in the city."

Mr Corbell said the Section63 Civic development, just south of the police station on the corner of London Circuit and Edinburgh Avenue, recognised one of the key recommendations of the Canberra Central Taskforce. "While noting that underlying demand might mean that development of the entire precinct might take many years, the taskforce recommended the ACT Government pursue a 'trigger project' to stimulate activity. This site will be that trigger project."

The office could be up to 12 storeys high, the same as the Rydges Lakeside hotel opposite, and the land is due to be auctioned in the last quarter of this year.

It is being used as a car park, and Mr Corbell stressed the need for these spaces to be kept under the future development, which could mean the car park stretching underground.

Market analysis indicated the territory's residential and commercial property sector was sufficiently robust to withstand the pair of interest-rate rises within the past three months and any future ones.

"The overall increase in residential land supply is confirmation that the market has strengthened in the last three months," Mr Corbell said.

Originally the Government had earmarked 900 greenfield sites for residential development, but had to revisit this estimate and increase it by one-third after the Commonwealth jobs boost. This will almost treble to 3500 in 2007-08.

Many of the main areas set to benefit lie within and around the ACT's fastest growing suburb, Gungahlin - Forde, Wells Station, Franklin and the town centre.
Source: Canberra Times (http://www.canberra.yourguide.com.a...tory_id=502439&category=political&m=8&y=2006)

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
New Article from today:
ACT property sector welcomes land release
John Thistleton
Thursday, 17 August 2006

The ACT's commercial and residential property sectors have welcomed the release of a huge office site in Civic and more greenfield blocks in Gungahlin.

Planning Minster Simon Corbell said yesterday a 40,000sqm site on the corner of London Circuit and Edinburgh Avenue, Civic, would be auctioned later this year.

Property groups praised the significant land injection but asked for more sites to be added quickly.

Mr Corbell said land to be released in Molonglo in coming years addressed the need for new homes in the south while the "incremental" addition of sites in Civic tackled plans to see the city centre grow.

Most of the residential blocks to be released are in the new Gungahlin suburbs of Forde, Wells Station and Franklin.

Builder David Howarth said Canberra, as a planned city surrounded by sheep paddocks, had no excuse for having the second highest land prices in Australia and the additional land was far too late coming onto an under-supplied market.

ACT Property Council spokesman Chris Wheeler said there would be no shortage of interest in the Civic site, known as Section 63, which is likely to be occupied by a 12-storey building for 3000 office workers.

Its price would be ruled by how much floor space was permitted.

The council welcomed the decision to auction the land because it was the most transparent method of sale but warned the development would create more parking pressure.

Part of the site had previously been earmarked for a multi-storey car park to handle demand from development under way across the road from Section 63.

Mr Wheeler said the residential land release was centred on Gungahlin and there was no mention of Molonglo, identified in the Spatial Plan as the next new development west of Canberra.

"The Government is making the right noises; we have got to see the sites actually coming on line. Demand is there now, the issue is how long will it be before [the home sites] actually come on line," he said.

The Housing Industry Association's ACT executive director Caroline Lemezina said 1200 additional greenfield sites was a pleasing response to the association's strong lobbying over the past three months.

But HIA wanted more developments competing with one another, including Molonglo.

Mr Corbell said the Government was acting on the need for more land in the south, and realised inaction would see a continued residential flow to Queanbeyan and Jerrabomberra.

The City Hill development will come ahead of the planned growth of the precinct, which Mr Corbell has said would not happen before the start of the next decade but which was happening sooner because of a surge in the number of new Commonwealth jobs. "At that time we predicted a significant development in City Hill in about 2010. We will see incremental growth of City Hill, it cannot sustain a short, sudden burst," Mr Corbell said.

Shadow planning minister Zed Seselja said Mr Corbell's announcement was a "complete turnaround".

"Last year, the minister ruled out any development of the precinct until at least 2010 and failed to support the Opposition's legislation setting up a statutory authority to drive development on City Hill," he said.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts