Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Moon Transit
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Something that makes Canberra interesting is all the new suburbs and road projects.

There's an earlier thread on the forum here on the now completed
Gungahlin Drive Extension (Canberra)

Other threads related to Canberra transport are:
1. Canberra Airport (CBR) - Pictures/News/Discussion
2. Canberra: Capital Metro Light Rail and Canberra Public Transport (including Light Rail proposal)

The latest project is Majura Parkway (project website: http://www.tams.act.gov.au/roads-transport/major-construction-projects/majura-parkway).

Majura Parkway is kind of a Monaro Highway Extension that links it with the Federal Hwy. At 11.5 km long it is the largest road project in the ACT and significant for those heading to the snowfields. The new road should make those heading to Canberra Airport from the north very happy. I'd expect it to have a 100 km/h speed limit. The current Majura Road is surprisingly busy, I found very few breaks in the continuous traffic.

Together with the Monaro Highway, Gungahlin Drive and Tuggeranong Parkway on the west side, and other roads linking on the north and south, its become a ring road around Canberra. Once the Majura Parkway is complete, most the ring road will be dual carriageway, and about half will be grade separated.

The Majura Parkway roadworks along the new alignment in the foreground, the existing road runs beside Brindabella Business Park and the Airport in the background.

·
Moon Transit
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Images from the northern part of the project, progress as at 28 May 2014:

Interchange with the Federal Highway

Several images showing the newly completed southern carriageway. It now extends about 3.5 km south from the Federal Hwy and is

now used as Majura Rd traffic. Construction is focussed on the northbound carriageway on the right.

Mount Majura Road intersection, the works area and nortbound carriageway

Continuing south from Mount Majura Road

Roadwork speed limit along this part is is 60 km/h

End of the completed carriageway, currently traffic heads to/from the old Majura Rd

New interchange to service local traffic to Majura Rd.

The interchange at Tambreet Street midway along the project (only captured a poor image)

·
Moon Transit
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
The southern section of the new road still has plenty of work and consists of overpasses and the bridge over the Molonglo River

Junction of Fairbairn Avenue and Morshead Dr, the overpass is just behind.

Fairbairn Avenue Overpass site from the east

Project signage when heading westbound on Fairbairn Avenue

Approaching the roadworks area westbound on Fairbairn Avenue

Fairbairn Avenue Overpass site from the west

·
Moon Transit
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Heading south along Morshead Drive, much of the construction work is concentrated along this section.

Junction of Morshead Drive and Pialligo Ave with the site of the Molonglo River Bridge behind. Still plenty to do here.

·
Moon Transit
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mount Ainslie is a good vantage point for much of Canberra. The southern section of the project and progress on the new alignment to the west of Majura Road can be seen from eastern area of the lookout. Note the images in this post are higher resolution and wide, so have to pan across on most screens.

These two images show the new road in the foreground, with the old road alongside Brindabella Business Park and the airport in the background

These two images show the Fairbairn Avenue and Morshead Drive intersection.

The southern part is also visible from Mount Pleasant (within Duntroon ADF acadamy), but the view is somewhat obscured by trees.

·
Registered
4,114 Posts
This will be good for Canberra traffic when its done and should take a lot of the pressure off Northbourne Ave and Gungahlin Drive.

I think they should have put a toll on it though, given that the people who will benefit the most are non-ACT residents.

·
Registered
8,625 Posts
This will be good for Canberra traffic when its done and should take a lot of the pressure off Northbourne Ave and Gungahlin Drive.

I think they should have put a toll on it though, given that the people who will benefit the most are non-ACT residents.

I used to use this road every day, I lived in Majura and worked in Russell

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Together with the Monaro Highway, Gungahlin Drive and Tuggeranong Parkway on the west side, and other roads linking on the north and south, its become a ring road around Canberra. Once the Majura Parkway is complete, most the ring road will be dual carriageway, and about half will be grade separated.
Thanks for the thread and the pictures. One thing I am curious about is your statement about a ring road? Lived in Canberra most of my life, but cannot see a ring.

Gungahlin Drive and the Tuggeranong Parkway cut a north south path down the western side of Canberra, the Monaro Highway and Majura Parkway will cut a path down the eastern side, but a ring around Canberra? Exlcuding of course Belconnen and the east west sides of the ring. If anything more like a distorted H through Canberra.

·
Moon Transit
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Well, maybe more like an distorted oval than a ring then, as the east and west sides almost meet up in the north and south. I've driven all around it, but just not in one hit.

Drakeford Road and the choice of either Isabella or Tharwa Drive on the south.

That Horse Park Drive and Gundaroo Drive in the north, though Federal Highway would be quicker. I experienced some congestion there so as Gungahlin grows I think the east-west links there will need improvement

With Parkes Way, I agree a H is also a good concept, or maybe settle for a Theta shape.

·
Moon Transit
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nearby a..

$50m boost in funding will get Queanbeyan bypass started next year
Canberra Times, Georgina Connery, Reporter at The Chronicle , June 13, 2014
http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act...d-next-year-20140612-3a0h8.html#ixzz34TenRad7

A $50-million injection of funding will mean the construction of a Queanbeyan bypass road starting in mid-2015.

The 4.6-kilometre road, skirting the high terrain behind Queanbeyan to the east, will have an 80km/h speed limit and may become an attractive return route from the coast for Canberrans living in the southern suburbs. The two-lane single carriageway will link the current end of Ellerton Drive to the new Edwin Land Parkway intersection at Old Cooma Road, and is expected to be completed in 2017.

During the council's initial consultation last year, 212 submissions were received from the community, many voicing concerns about the proximity of the road to residences, noise and ecological impacts.

''Average buffer distance from the edge of the road to residential lot boundaries ranges between 15-40m," a council spokesman said. Acting Prime Minister Warren Truss, NSW Deputy Premier Andrew Stoner and NSW Roads Minister Duncan Gay joined the MP for Monaro, John Barilaro, in Queanbeyan to announce the funding at the NSW Nationals annual conference.

"The Australian government will work closely with the NSW government and Queanbeyan City Council to deliver this vital piece of regional road infrastructure," Mr Truss said.

Mr Barilaro said the road would put Queanbeyan in the "economic fast lane", ease congestion in the CBD, provide an alternate route for heavy vehicles and service the new housing estates of Tralee and Googong. A bridge built to withstand floods will be constructed over the Queanbeyan River as part of the project. "Local residents can therefore be assured they will have full access to the road even during extreme wet weather," Mr Barilaro said.

Queanbeyan City Mayor Tim Overall said the funding was fantastic news. ''The $50-million contribution will ensure the council can move ahead with one of the most important pieces of infrastructure in the city's history,'' he said.

Pre-construction planning has been undertaken by the Queanbeyan City Council, funded by the NSW government in a $4 million election commitment in 2011. The council has engaged a consultant to complete the preliminary design for the road that will be presented to local council staff and the NSW Roads and Maritime Services in July or August. Final designs are expected in March next year.

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act...d-next-year-20140612-3a0h8.html#ixzz34Teyff7q

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Well Edwin Land Parkway has been designed and built to date for easy expansion. There is some talk of eventually taking it up the escarpment to the Captain's Flat Road roundabout with the Highway.

Also a westerly extension to link up with the Isabella Drive/Monaro Highway interchange. The latter was originally intended to be grade-separated; any extension to the Edwin Land corridor should hopefully push the ACT government towards that outcome.

Not holding my breath at this stage though. The light rail proposal has the potential to (if not) bankrupt the ACT, then certainly divert funds away from major road upgrades for decades to come. I think Ms Gallagher may already be shaping to pull out of the proposal, Simon Corbell and his fraternal twin Rattenbury's determination notwithstanding.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Well Edwin Land Parkway has been designed and built to date for easy expansion. There is some talk of eventually taking it up the escarpment to the Captain's Flat Road roundabout with the Highway.

Also a westerly extension to link up with the Isabella Drive/Monaro Highway interchange. The latter was originally intended to be grade-separated; any extension to the Edwin Land corridor should hopefully push the ACT government towards that outcome.

Not holding my breath at this stage though. The light rail proposal has the potential to (if not) bankrupt the ACT, then certainly divert funds away from major road upgrades for decades to come. I think Ms Gallagher may already be shaping to pull out of the proposal, Simon Corbell and his fraternal twin Rattenbury's determination notwithstanding.
Last time I looked Edwin Land Drive was in NSW, and the people who will benefit most from any roadworks to support further development in the Jerra/Googong areas will also be living in NSW. So why should the ACT government spend money fixing potential issues cause by development in NSW. Surely they should be spending money on the ACT, which in itself has enough issues that need funding.

·
Moon Transit
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
On the other side of town the ACT government, perhaps because people are getting bored with Gungahlin, is spending money creating a new district of Molonglo. They expect to squeeze 55,000 people into this narrow valley. 3 stages starting from the south.

Some details of what's going on: http://www.actpla.act.gov.au/topics/significant_projects/current_planning_studies/molonglo_valley_stage_2_planning_project

A nice overview of where the ACT Government is spending money can be found in the Budget Map at: http://apps.treasury.act.gov.au/budget/budget-2014-2015/maps

And a factsheet at http://www.actpla.act.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0016/31138/Molonglo_Valley_Development_-_Factsheet.pdf which has this map:

·
Moon Transit
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
The main transport feature of Molonglo Valley development is John Gorton Drive that will connect William Hovell Drive in Belconnen with Cotter Road in Woden. It will involve a new bridge over the Molonglo River. So i took a look on 27 May to see whats going on.

View of the Molonglo Valley and Stromlo in the distance while heading south and down Coppers Crossing Road toward the crossing. This route from Belconnen to Weston Creek including William Hovell Drive is one of the more scenic and pleasant urban thoroughfares in Australia. In a few years time the area on both sides of this road will be suburban sprawl of Stage 3 of the development.

Coppers Crossing itself. At 513m asl its is one of the lowest points in Canberra. This crossing will be made redundant by a higher level bridge as part of John Gorton Drive. It will apparently be located a kilometre or so to the east, but i found very little information on the proposed design of the bridge or the northern part of the new road online. The site of the bridge also seems inaccessible or at least requiring a decent walk thought the Stromlo forest

Heading up Coppers Crossing Road, construction of the John Gorton Drive extension is on the left. The new town centre of the Molonglo will also be somewhere the left, hopefully something better than the architectural splendour of Belconnen Town Centre.

Project roadsign. The Project roadsigns in the ACT seem the hardest to read of any state or territory. They should allocate more money in the next Budget to pay for bigger and more bolder fonts and perhaps include a simple diagram even if it involves making the ACT logo and banner a little smaller.

Deviation along Coppers Crossing Road because of construction

·
Moon Transit
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Approaching Stage 1 of Molonglo Valley, a view of John Gorton Drive and the last part of Coppers Crossing Road . The suburbs or Coombs and Wright in the background.

The detour for traffic onto the new John Gorton Drive from Coppers Crossing Road. Apparently Uriarra road is now on a new alignment to the west.

Only one carriage way open on this part John Gorton Drive

Further south, both carriageways open and the road largely complete, this part becomes a very smooth and comfortable drive.

The road complete, but plenty of construction of what appears medium density deveopment in Wright as part of Stage 1.

After John Gorton Drive suddenly becomes Cotter Road, only one carriageway is open.

Cotter Road in Weston just east of Streeton Drive, looks like it gets a second carriageway to the left. It was empty now but when I was here later there was a bad traffic jam due to construction works around the intersection, this part would be frustrating for those heading to Weston Creek.

Some more images of this area I've found include:
1. 'Suburban Focus - Molonglo, ACT' by kommissar_todd06 on flickr at https://www.flickr.com/photos/kommissar_todd06/sets/72157630603470590/detail/
2. 'John Gorton Drive' by Guideline Engineering (who I figure are building the road) http://www.guidelineact.com.au/projects/current-projects/john-gorton-drive

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
Thanks for all the photos.. You its all very well building all the roads at the airport, but they need to duplicate Fairbairn AVE.

·
Registered
142 Posts
John Gorton Dr looks similar to Flemington Rd in Gungahlin, so don't be supprised if they (eventually) plan to put light rail down there (provided light rail ever gets off the ground).

Also in Gungahlin, the two ends of Horse Park Dr (one side at Amaroo ovals and the other at Casey) have been connected and should open in the next few weeks/month.

1 - 20 of 108 Posts