1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Alright, post your favorite or most substantial buildings cancelled from your city. I'm not talking recent buildings that died out in the housing bust either, I'm talking buildings from previous generations.

Minneapolis:

IDS 2 http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?b25830
Wells Fargo Tower http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?b24512

St Paul:

7 Corners Sky Tower http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?b27338

There are obviously more but nothing really that note worthy.
I'm glad they cancelled the 7 corners sky tower and the first Norwest design. St. Paul didn't need a cheesy space needle, and the 2nd Pelli design for the Norwest tower is much, much, better than the first one IMO. It looks like Rockefeller Center. Cleveland got sloppy seconds on that one, although I wish ours was as tall.

·
6,476 Posts
There have been a few for Lansing, unfortunately, I have no renderings.

Detroit had a slew of vision plans that never came into being that were detailed in one of the newspapers. The piece was called "Unbuilt Detroit"

City Centre Building

Beta West

·
President of Catan
2,282 Posts
This is the Vencor tower that died along with the company. It was to be where the current Ali Center is and partly on the site where Museum Plaza will be.

·
6,476 Posts
Detroit's most locally famous cancellation would have been Phase III of the Book Tower. It was to be 81 floors, and would still be the tallest structure in the city, today, if completed. It'd have been upwards of 900 feet (perhaps, even 1,000-footer):

·
Nonhyphenated-American
3,371 Posts
IIRC, the First Wisconsin/Firstar/BankOne building in Downtown Milwaukee, WI was to have a second identical tower on the south end of its pedestal.

Mike

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Wow does Wolf Point ever look like Trump Tower.

·
Registered
106 Posts
that tower dosent have anything inside of it because it was meant to be a "gateway" to the city of indianapolis. glad it got cancelled, its hideous. Instead, the city is building on its' "circle" theme and building a huge metal circle that will have LED lights all over it so they can make it blue for colts games and such. Tacky but it'll look nice once completed.

·
Cory
3,403 Posts
^^ Haha, what the hell is that? A building skeleton with nothing in the middle?
I quite liked Indiana Tower. You can't tell, but you could walk all the way up the tower. There was to be a circular walk all the way up, or elevators, which ever you chose. To me, for an observation Tower, it was quite interesting.

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Wouldn't catch me walking up there ...or you'd have to catch me coming down.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Damn, the Artsgarden Tower was nice! Why wasn't it built?
I think it had something to do with the developers not having all the financial backing while the Conrad Hotel was all ready to build on that spot. But don't really quote me on that.

·
born again cyclist
3,671 Posts
Wow does Wolf Point ever look like Trump Tower.
no surprise there, same design architect: adrian smith of SOM.

smith also designed 7SD and dearborn center. he's been trying for a while to get a supertall of his built in this city, and it took a guy like trump to come to town to finally put together a finacial package that would work to get a supertall built in chicago.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts