Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 156 Posts

·
Single, looking to mingle
10,713 Posts
Ok so I just though id do my part this month cos im overdue for a major contribution.

Here are the video renders of the new Victoria Quay proposal in Fremantle from ING.

Video 1:

Video 2:

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
Westfield Victoria Quay lol??

This projects great, there really isnt reason to go to Freo these days with the exception of maybe Little Creatures. It is so sad that the council could actually be against this. When in 3 years or whatever its overflowing and crowded i cant wait to see egg on their faces

Its a shame they reduced the bulk of the project, looking at the vids, the impact is so minimal its not funny.

·
10,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is anyone noticing a remarkable lack of trees? Even in pots? I think it would look better with a lot more green. The area is remarkably concrete and sterile.

·
Registered
812 Posts
I think they've got the right mix on this one. Looks pretty good and fits well with it's surrounds.

I wonder if the passenger terminal will ever get upgraded? Maybe something could be integrated in this plan as the current situation is a disgrace. It's a worse entry statement than the airport.

·
Watch my Chops
6,047 Posts
It's ok. As usual they will cut it down to somthing discrete and even more average. Fremantle should be leading the way with, flair and innovation but they are to history cooky.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Yes Freo Council have lost direction reducing the Port to weekend Coffee shops and Red Dot stores.

The new developement is once again ultra conservative being watered down by countless community and government interest groups - but I guess at least its now there on the table - like it or leave it.

·
fierce buildings papi.
/insert something here...
9,803 Posts
:vomit:

i hope one of tha visiting american naval ship accidentally launches a missile at it...

it's trying to be all clean and minimal and they forget tha essential focal point being tha trainstation... it looks like a glassy version of midland gate redevelopment re-design perhaps? should have designed this so that tha original station building is used as an entrance to a main building/gallery which houses tha train with retail/commercial spaces all tha way down to tha wharf edge...

·
10,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
it really cuts off the water, why the hell do they want to save c shed anyway? i think they should dissect the c shed to provide more sight lines to the water and ships.

·
fierce buildings papi.
9,803 Posts
isn't it heritage listed? if so though, would have been better if they enclosed it in a large structure...

·
Watch my Chops
6,047 Posts
isn't it heritage listed? if so though, would have been better if they enclosed it in a large structure...
Clever. A large glass structure!

Wait thats bold right? :eek:hno:

·
fierce buildings papi.
9,803 Posts
when you say it like that... even i'm less convinced! hiss.

obviously i'm taking about making sure it's classy and interesting!

·
Banned
3,269 Posts
id probably say im the one that frequents fremantle the most of the forums obviously going to school there lol.
i like the preview things, it reminds me of a port city off GTA III lol. Hopefully some more nice walls appear around the train station too which would be nice.

·
Here
6,589 Posts
I don't actually mind this proposal. Firstly I don't think you can take those video render of the buildings designs as gospel. I have a feeling the videos primary purpose was to convey their impact (or lack of) to the surrounding area.

Anyway it's not like the area does not have a landmark building already, as in the Maritime Museum. I think this development will create a much needed revitalization to what is currently a dead (almost suburban like) zone in Fremantle.

·
Registered
8,126 Posts
I sish they'd spent less time and money on fancy videos with sound effects (screams of some new work experience guy keen to impress the boss) and more time on design it would have been better.
Having said that it's a nice 'gap filler' for Freo which may spark some additional development hopefully. The minimalist idnsutrial look is ok in some ways but at the same time a little 'factory outlet'-ish in other ways.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I have seen video renderings of the original plan. They were better than this, far better. Once again, things get dumbed down to address the opposition of people who are always going to oppose anything anyway. So we end up with a half-arsed compromise that serves the best interests of no-one. Twenty years down the track when it's a boring monstrosity, the NIMBYs will claim vindication, and who will we be to argue with them? Thus the cycle perpetuates.

Typical, typical WA approach to development, it is disgusting.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Sorry to post again, but factory outlet is exactly right samboy. This is one of the most important sites in Perth, and we're building another Harbourtown. It's just crap.

1 - 20 of 156 Posts