Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Developers propose hotel in Oklahoma City's Bricktown area
By Pamela Grady - 6/18/2008

The Oklahoma City Urban Renewal Authority today approved a resolution for a proposed redevelopment agreement with Dihren and Amit Patel doing business as Shri Krishnapriya Hospitality LLC for a hotel development on the northeast corner of Reno Ave. and Lincoln Blvd.

The property site consists of a 104,000-square-foot parcel owned by Shri Krishnapriya Hospitality LLC along with co-developers James Durocher and David Box and a 16,000-square-foot parcel owned by Urban Renewal to be used for parking. The proposed development will include a six-story,100-125-room, extended-stay Candlewood Suites at the site across from Bass Pro.

Joe Van Bullard, executive director of Urban Renewal, said future plans could include a separate parcel near the proposed project owned by the Oklahoma Department of Transportation.

“We will go to ODOT and see if we can acquire the property and put it together with this property which will allow for better landscaping and parking arrangements on this site,” Van Bullard said.

Bullard said because the site is located north of Reno, the project will fall under the Bricktown Urban Design Committee’s supervision as well.

Architect Fred Quinn with Quinn & Associates Architecture has been retained for the project.

“He (Quinn) is very familiar with the Bricktown Urban Design guidelines and how they hold,” Van Bullard said.

“We are planning on meeting and exceeding all of those standards,” Durocher said, who has been planning the project for nearly two years.

Durocher added the hotel project would ideally anchor the Bass Pro area of Bricktown. He also said the hotel would be a gateway project as the American Indian Cultural Center and Museum becomes more of a reality.

“In talking with people, some people have questioned how many more hotels can go into the Bricktown area. Right now, everybody that I’ve talked to has said, ‘Bring on more’,” Van Bullard said.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Not to be a jerk but does a Candlewood Suites really constitute making a whole new thread? I mean maybe if it were a 30 story Candlewood Suite, but still it's a Candlewood Suites.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I apologize I guess I didnt realize that with ALLLLLLL these new threads always popping up this new one about actual development would be a problem

·
Registered
251 Posts
''Durocher added the hotel project would ideally anchor the Bass Pro area of Bricktown. He also said the hotel would be a gateway project as the American Indian Cultural Center and Museum becomes more of a reality.''

You know when you're main attraction in an entertainment district is a Bass Pro Shop that it's time to improve that area.

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
He said that it would anchor the Bass Pro area of Bricktown which I suppose, yeah it is the main attraction in that area of Bricktown. That's a developing area of Bricktown that's mostly just surface lots. They just finished a new urban-style McDonald's and a Residence Inn that everyone hates was built along the Canal, there are a few more retail infill buildings planned for the massive parking Bass Pro parking lot. I can't complain about the massive Bass Pro parking lot because it's the only place where there's actually parking.

Across the street there was a planned $200 million mixed-use development that included a Ritz Carlton and was rumored to have a lot more nifty tenants, plus about 400 lofts. That was killed by the city last year that wanted something different built on the land.. mainly it was killed because the developer of the project, Bob Funk, is unpopular with the Mayor's Office.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Yawn. Wake me when they slap a Motel 6 in Bricktown.

·
Banned
1,096 Posts
Hold on a second, they have a Bass Pro Shop, urban McDonalds, AND a Candlewood Suites is now proposed for the area? I may have to change my opinion of the canal, if its not as world famous as srg thinks it is now it soon will be with tenants like that.

·
Registered User.
2,249 Posts
This thread should be moved to the developments section.

·
Registered
251 Posts
OKC could use theme park, for all the land in the city has they're should be enough room for one. Put it relatively close to downtown and make it a real anchor of the tourism biz, it could draw people from all over OK and give people something to come down to OKC for.

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
There is a theme park. Six Flags started out in OKC. They were headquartered in OKC until 2005, at their Frontier City theme park, on the north side. Six Flags also ran a great water park on the west side of town called White Water Bay. Both are still running even though Six Flags moved to New York and sold off most of their theme parks.

·
Love me, love my dog...
3,075 Posts
Six Flags started out in Arlington, TX in 1961...then added Atlanta in 1967 and St. Louis in 1971. There were already 9 Six Flags locations when Premier Parks of Oklahoma City purchased Six Flags in 1998. Premier Parks eventually changed its name to Six Flags Theme Parks, Inc.

Premier Parks began in OKC with Frontier City in 1958; Six Flags was a totally different company and started in Arlington. The company didn't sell most of their parks, but sold 8 of them in 2007 prior to moving its headquarters to NYC...including the 2 parks in OKC.

Six Flags still owns 20 theme parks, including the 9 original Six Flags Parks in Arlington (2), Atlanta, St. Louis, New Jersey, Los Angeles (2), Chicago, and San Antonio.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Candlewood Suites? This area looks like it should at least go for a Marriott Courtyard, Hilton Garden Inn, Hyatt Place, or aLoft.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Six Flags started out in OKC. They were headquartered in OKC until 2005, at their Frontier City theme park, on the north side.
:nuts:

·
Registered
414 Posts
This should not be in this forum.

But anyways. This area does have a Marriott Courtyard.

It is true that this area has an urban McDonald's and Bass Pro. But no one boasts that part of Bricktown. Thats all Lower Bricktown which is a complete mess and I wish they would tear down. Bricktown proper is where everything nice is. Do you really think we are proud of a Bass Pro and McDonald's in Lower Bricktown? uhh. NO.

But when it comes to the hotel...this all I've gotta say...You have to be able to cater to the cheaper market also, it can't just be expensive hotels. So in a way this is good. Its not in Bricktown proper, its way on the edges and it targets a cheaper crowd.

·
Registered
251 Posts
There is a theme park. Six Flags started out in OKC. They were headquartered in OKC until 2005, at their Frontier City theme park, on the north side. Six Flags also ran a great water park on the west side of town called White Water Bay. Both are still running even though Six Flags moved to New York and sold off most of their theme parks.
Interesting, if I had known that I would have hit one of them up when I was in OKC.

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
Six Flags started out in Arlington, TX in 1961...then added Atlanta in 1967 and St. Louis in 1971. There were already 9 Six Flags locations when Premier Parks of Oklahoma City purchased Six Flags in 1998. Premier Parks eventually changed its name to Six Flags Theme Parks, Inc.

Premier Parks began in OKC with Frontier City in 1958; Six Flags was a totally different company and started in Arlington. The company didn't sell most of their parks, but sold 8 of them in 2007 prior to moving its headquarters to NYC...including the 2 parks in OKC.

Six Flags still owns 20 theme parks, including the 9 original Six Flags Parks in Arlington (2), Atlanta, St. Louis, New Jersey, Los Angeles (2), Chicago, and San Antonio.
They sold off some of their most profitable theme parks, including AstroWorld in Houston. And when you buy a company you "assume their assets" and the ownership of Six Flags for a long time did get their start in OKC.

I liked Frontier City better before it became affiliated with Six Flags anyway. It was a lot cheesier back then and had more of a "county fair vibe" to it. I'm glad that they've kept some of the same rides that they've had for years and years, like the Conquestador and the Renegade Rapids, though of course they all have different names now.

·
Love me, love my dog...
3,075 Posts
From Wikipedia:

The Six Flags chain began in 1961 with the creation of Six Flags Over Texas by Angus G. Wynne of Arlington, Texas, which initially featured a Native American village, a gondola ride, a railroad, some Wild West shows, a stagecoach ride, and "Skull Island", a pirate-themed adventure attraction.

Frontier City and White Water bay were never branded as Six Flags parks. The statement about Six Flags beginning in Oklahoma was not true. Sorry.

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
Okay, you're absolutely right. Six Flags has no OKC ties at all. There aren't any theme parks in OKC, never were, definitely never was a Six Flags. Oh noooooo. Just ask Weimieluvr who I'm sure used to go to Frontier City all the time...

1 - 20 of 49 Posts