Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
18,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cape May Court House is an unincorporated settlement in Middle Township, in central Cape May County. The population is around 4,700. The town was originally called "Rumney Marsh" and also "Middleton".

A house on Mechanic Street.

A house on Poplar Street.

A house on Goshen Road.

The Main Branch of the Cape May County Library, on Mechanic Street.

A house on Dias Creek Road.

A house on Hand Avenue.

A house on Hand Avenue.

Businesses on Mechanic Street.

Houses on Main Street.

A house on Main Street.

The old Cape May County Courthouse, on Main Street. The courthouse was built in 1849 and serves as a surrogate courthouse.

The Cape May County Courthouse, on Main Street.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Isn't Cape May Courthouse the County Seat? Can unincorperated towns be county seats?

·
Banned
29,118 Posts
Thanks for the pics. I wonder if it's dying out demographically and what's the standard of living there?

·
18,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Isn't Cape May Courthouse the County Seat? Can unincorperated towns be county seats?
It's the county seat; I forgot to mention that. The town isn't completely unincorporated, it's just a section of Middle Township. It's not a borough or anything, though.

Thanks for the pics. I wonder if it's dying out demographically and what's the standard of living there?
I think that this area is doing alright. It seems like there are middle-class families in CMCH, from what I saw that evening. I think that the area is doing well because land prices are cheaper than the nearby shore towns, so locals are inclined to live there of not on a barrier island.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
South Jersey has some real gems. It is amazing how it can feel like the deep south in certain spots. I used to love getting stoned and getting lost on the Jersey Cape. I'd always end up with a trunk full of antiques from all the great junk stores and yard sales.

·
Registered
something-or-other
1,115 Posts
^No doubt. Some maps of the Mason-Dixon show Cape May below the line. Kind of amazing to think "the south" was just a two hour drive from here, and in New Jersey of all places.

·
Registered
136 Posts
^No doubt. Some maps of the Mason-Dixon show Cape May below the line. Kind of amazing to think "the south" was just a two hour drive from here, and in New Jersey of all places.
That is because that portion of New Jersey actually is well south of the Mason-Dixon Line. Cape May is about even with Annapolis and Washington, DC in terms of latitude. If you extended the Mason-Dixon Line straight across New Jersey, you'd wind up around Long Beach Island.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts