Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cape Town needs an athletics stadium, with a suitable capacity i.e. around the same capacity as the old athletics stadium, 20-25k. It does NOT have to be at Green Point but any decent location in CT. Green Point is only being used as an example since this is where the previous 20,000 seat athletics stadium was located in Cape Town.

CT needs a venue of this nature with or without the CWG or Olympic Games or Gay Games or World Out Games or Winter Games or All Africa Games or....in the same way it needs a decent aquatic centre with or without any major event.

It does NOT need an 80,000 seat athletics venue, in the same way global cities like London, Chicago simply don't need large athletics venues and in the same way cities across europe are dismantling their stadia with athletics tracks to build football specific stadia. The proof is there, it just doesnt work, especially when athletics will only ever attract a large crowd for the olympic games i.e. if a city ever gets them.

So this is a very rough proposal to simply rebuild the old Green Point stadium at a similar capacity to be used as a high performance venue for athletics and other sports by integrating the virgin active gym and other training facilities around the stadium into the venue.

No roof, no frills, no big profile. Local construction companies who won't charge a Murray and Roberts price...a very rough estimate(2009) of R1 billion MAX!

IF and only IF (iff for the mathematicians) CT ever bids or considers bidding for the Olympic Games, the city pays zero towards the TEMPORARY increase in capacity to 75/80,000 as indicated below.

All temporary works are covered by the OCOG (see Chicago 2016 candidature file) which is funded privately i.e. R10 billion from the IOC and the remainder generally from sponsors.

Therefore NO cost to the taxpayer for any Olympic add ons or frills.

To summarize.

Phase 1: 25,000 seats - R1 billion (gvt/city/provincial/lottery funding)
Phase 2: 75,000 seats - All costs covered privately.

PHASE 1

PHASE 2

·
Sport Crazy
1,705 Posts
Good concept. But why now. We had the old Athlone which had athletic tracks, then we had the old GPS which also had athletic tracks. all of which were distroyed. Surely the guys there do not velue athletic sports or the effective possibility of CT hosting the olympics in the feture.

·
Registered
28,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
olympics aside though. do you think we need an athletics venue of a sustainbale size?

why now?...well its time CT got its act together. lots of athletes train in CT and Stellenbosch...there is demand for decent facilities and the best athletics venue we have is the bellville stadium! eish

·
Sport Crazy
1,705 Posts
I just feel that we had venues that only needed upgrades. with the same cost spent at Athlone, we could have had a more decent athletic stadium at the same venue. it could still have been fine to be used as a training venue for the WC.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts