SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 604 Posts

·
Registered
40,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to present the stunning beautiful islands of Capo verde to the forumers. It is a mix between Africa, Europe and something like Brazil. Its cities are just like museums and well preserved. Tourism is constantly on the rise and there have been rumours that large oil reserves lie off its coast. Capo Verde or Cape Verde in English was a former Portuguese colony for more than 500 years but as opposed to the other lusophone countries in Africa decolonisation has been very smooth and Capo verde never cut off its links to Portugal and that is why it still has very strong links to Portugal (they are even debating to enter the European Union and to introduce the Euro as a currency). So they might become something like the French Antilles in the Caribbean but they will preserve their own flag, identity and government. Surprisingly, Cap Verde has a pretty much relaxed relationship to its former colonial power nowadays. Its population of more than 600 000 mainly consists of Mulattos who are of African and Portuguese origin (71%), Blacks (23%) and Europeans (mainly Portuguese 6%). But all define themselves as Cap verdeans. Cap Verdeans have a strong expatriate community in Portugal, France, USA and Brazil. Cap Verde is one of the few well functioning and entrenched democracies in Africa. Personnaly I have never been to Capo Verde so what I know is limited and simply derives from hearsay. I do hope that soemone with more backround knowledge will add more information. ..or simply leaves a comment:)

Economic facts:

GDP (purchasing power parity):
Definition Field Listing Rank Order
$2.99 billion (2005 est.)

GDP (official exchange rate):
Definition Field Listing
$1.128 billion (2005 est.)

GDP - real growth rate:
6.5% (2005 est.)

Imports - partners:
Definition Field Listing
Portugal 48.6%, Italy 8.4%, Netherlands 6.8%, Spain 5.4%, Belgium 4.9%, France 4.7%, Brazil 4.4% (2005)

Exports - partners:
Definition Field Listing
Portugal 38.3%, Spain 35.3%, US 9.2% (2005)

GDP - per capita (PPP):
$6,200 (2005 est.)

GDP - composition by sector:
Definition Field Listing
agriculture: 12.1%
industry: 21.9%
services: 66% (2004 est.)

Sao vincente below

small village called Santa Antonio

Dramatic landscape shots

Small town on the islands

Vila da Ribeira Brava

Sao Vicente

smaller version of that in Lisbon

All these are photos of the city of Mindelo on San Vincente

Rua de Lisboa

Praca Nova

market place

beaches of Sal

....TO BE CONTINUED

·
Registered
40,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ALL THESE PHOTOS SHOW THE ISLAND OF "Boa Vista" on Cape Verde:

beaches around Estoril

look at the beach and its blue water....

small tow called Sal Rei on Boa Vista

·
BITTER HEART NEVER REST
11,390 Posts
I fully agree its Afrca's best kept secret. I wonder why the authorities doesn't market their place accross Africa, I'm sure plenty of South Africans can go there for holidays like they do go to Mozambique.

·
Registered
40,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK. AND NOW THE CAPITAL PRAIA on the island of Santiago OF THE ENTIRE CAPE VERDE

the airport

an open air market in Praia

new highway built on the island

Avenida Capital

LICEO Y SUS JARDINES

more photos of the island of Santiago

landscape of the island of Santiago

this is a town called "Cidade Velha"

beach at Ribeira da Prata

·
Registered
40,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All these show photos of the island called "Brava"

This city is called "Nova Sintra"

All these photos show the island of Fogo

this is the city called "Sao Filipe"

·
Registered
40,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I fully agree its Afrca's best kept secret. I wonder why the authorities doesn't market their place accross Africa, I'm sure plenty of South Africans can go there for holidays like they do go to Mozambique.
Pule,

I am asking myself the same question, why is Cape Verde still so much closed and unknown to the outside world? They need to focus on marketing not just in Portugal but beyond. I am dead sure that tourists will come from many parts of the world. Those islands are truly magnificient.

·
Registered
40,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you want to LISTEN TO TYPICAL MUSIC OF CAPE VERDE, here you are:
.....Do not miss to pick one or two of the songs and if you have time listen to all, it is worth it! :)

Mayra Andrade - Felicidade (beautiful souful song)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3l3nT3NpCkg

Mayra Andrade - LUA (this songs starts slowly and builds up)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTqTf8_GSzw

Mayra Andrade - Regaço / Bô Seiva (Your Sap) (A Tua Seiva) (very beautiful song)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXqclPHi8co&mode=related&search=

Cesario Evaro - Petit pays (the divine singer of Cape Verde with international

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWiaHiO45P8

·
Registered
40,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have forgotten something that people seem to celebrate there with great ethusiasm each year: namely the Carnival

THESE ARE SOME PICS FROM THE CARNIVAL 2006 IN MINDELO. It is not the capital of Cape Verde, but the costumes are really impressive

·
39,192 Posts
Fantastic photos :applause: Stunning architecture, scenery and people :)

Africa sure does have some of the finest islands in the world.... (Cape Verde, Madagascar, Mauritius, Seychelles, Comoros, Canary Islands, Zanzibar etc.....)

·
Registered
279 Posts
I learnt they were going to join the Economic Community of Western African states in the near future. I welcome their babes...sorry people with open hands.

·
Registered
40,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks to all you who have made comments so far. It was a hell lot of work to create this thread....only problem is that it takes some time to fully upload due to the numerous photos.

SE9, yes you are right, Africa has truly beautiful island, there is also Sao Tomé and Principe and Ile de la Réunion (I thinks some threads already exist of them)!

Guys, please make sure that you listen to some of the songs, they will caress your heart!!!

·
Registered
52,566 Posts
very beautiful landscape and country, that vulcanoe in Fogo island made a perfect silluet :uh: it is in eruption now? :? that copy of Belem tower in Mindelo is cool, Santo Antão and is mountainouse scennary maks me remember La palma and Madeira, nice pics :applause:

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Cabo Verde is great! I did not know it is so nice! People are beautifull!

It is surprising how the islands seem so different from each other!!!

I am not sure Cabo Verde will join the European Union... I would very much welcome them! but I never heard about that possibility.

·
As long as I Know...
18,079 Posts
AWESOME THREAD...I hav a fell friends from Cape Verde and they are REALLY WARM PEOPLE, with a simple caracter.....and i can tell u that makes such a big diference when u visit other countries.....besides that in fact Cape Verde is trully a PARADISE !

I really like to go there to know much more about your lovely and friendly people!

1 - 20 of 604 Posts