Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was out in the city today, so I thought I'd "attempt" to take some pano shots. Some turned out ok, and some are a bit off. Enjoy.

Looking west accross the city from the new Canberra Centre carpark

City West

City East

London Circuit (Melbourne Building on the left, Sydney Building on the right)

Intersection of Northbourne Av and Barry Dr/Cooyong St

·
Perthite
8,046 Posts
thanks for the pics. I assume that most of the office space is for the public sector? The ACT government should try and lure in some other companies to take up office there. I suppose canberra misses out because there wouldn't be any need for regional offices there because Sydney would serve as the NSW/ACT centre.

·
Registered Abuser
2,904 Posts
Thanks for going to all that effort. When I was in Canberra in April I was pleasantly surprised at all the apartment buildings going up. The civic area is really densifying.

·
Go Krauthammer!
544 Posts
I've only been away from Canberra for a year and a half and there already appear to be alot of changes. Great pics. Thanks.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Yeah most of the office space is public sector. There are quite a few other companies in the city though, lots of consultancies and the like.

The amount of public sector space required is really huge for a city of only 350 thousand or so. Thats why there are very large office areas in Barton, Belconnen, Woden and out at the airport. Canberra would have a very, very impressive CBD for a city of its size if it was more centralised.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
I must say I liked Canberra very much. I went there for the 1st time ever last summer, and was pleasantly surprised. I learnt so much about it while doing urban geography at uni, and was quite interesting to see the garden city design, and the old art-deco/1960s modern buildings. Ive heard it does have a bit of a night life as it has one of the largest uni populations in Australia. I was surprised to hear that there is a major lack of office space at present, and not enough housing - the house prices were through the roof.

·
Banned
1,298 Posts
eastadl said:
Ive heard it does have a bit of a night life
Nightlife in Canberra consists of a few mostly dodgy bars/clubs in the City, and drunk bogan partys in bus interchanges.

Still nothing beats the nightlife of Tea Tree Plaza Interchange in Adelaide of an evening.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
I grew up in Tea Tree Gully, and I havent had the pleasure of visiting Modbury Interchange (prev name) for ages.
When I was in Canberra, we stumbled on a mini Fringe festival in a little square at night. It was really cool.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
I also found the Canberrans to be rather sophisticated. Everyone dressed nicely, there were no bums, down n outs, beggars or nasty looking people. Thats probably due to its function as a public service (highly educated) city, and both nights we have tea in either the city or Manuka, which was nice.

By the way, is it just Adelaide where young girls from the outer suburbs think its cool to wear scummy, low rise jeans with flares. Flare jeans are not in fashion at all, but its like an official uniform in the outer burbs. Its fascinating :lol:

·
Banned
1,298 Posts
I also found the Canberrans to be rather sophisticated. Everyone dressed nicely, there were no bums, down n outs, beggars or nasty looking people.
Did you go to Canberra at 6am in the morning while they were all asleep or something? Honestly Canberra is full of those people!! They're everywhere!! There's enough of them in the City, once you go out to the suburban malls there's even more of them!

Catch any off-peak bus in Canberra on a major route and your guaranteed to see at least one. And any 3xx series bus is guaranteed to have "intertown man" on it.

·
Registered
631 Posts
6am is when you find them in Adelaide first time I went there I came in on the train and I couldn't believe how many homeless were sleeping in doorways as I walked into the city.

On Canberra the bums are the guys who wash windscreens to earn enough for their next drink. However the high proportion of well paid public servants and very low unemployment means the city has less low income people so you have to look harder to find them.

On the previous subject most of the high rises in Canberra CBD (Civic) are not government they are IT businesses which is the second largest employer in ACT. Most the government buildings are in Barton, Russel etc. and are outside the CBD.

Does anyone have a pic of that new Curved building on London Circuit I would take a pic but I only have a crappy camera phone.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts