Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 553 Posts

·
Silver Lake
5,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a place where those of us who are living or making the transition to a car-free or car-lite lifestyle can talk about better ways to navigate around the city that is considered by many unnavitgatable w/o a car.

·
Silver Lake
5,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've recently started to live a car-lite lifestyle after buying a bike. My goal was to only fill up my 8 cylinder every 3 weeks. I've done that and now my next goal is to go 4 weeks w/o a fill up. Since I live in Silver Lake and work at LAX I researched the most time efficient and easiest ways for me to get to work on a daily basis. My route consists of riding my bike .75 miles to the Red Line Santa Monica station taking the Union Station bound train to US exiting the train there, throwing my bike into the bike lockers that are provided at the station and almost every station for $25 a year and then boarding a Flyaway bus headed to LAX. The Flyaway is great because it takes me to the front door of the terminal that I work at whereinwhich employees that drive have to park at a remote parking lot and take a shuttle the rest of the way.
I have now begun to make choices such as doctor appointments and the such based on their easability to my lifestyle. For example I had an appointment in BH and didn't want to drive. So I rode my bike .75 miles to the SaMo station took the Union Station bound train to Wilshire and Vermont and boarded a Rapid Bus heading west on Wilshire which dropped me off directly in front of my doctors office.

This can also be a space for those who want to get around w/ minimal or no car access to ask questions to those of us who could give them the best suggestions on how to get around this vast region we call LA. Ideal for tourists and vistors.

These are just a few examples of my transitioning into more of a car-lite lifestyle let's hear yours!!! I want to hear how you commute not by car but by some other means or car+bike/transit mix.

·
Silver Lake
5,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Can we make this into a sticky thread?

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Im looking forward to driving much less when i move to Downtown (Hopefully by October). The Ralphs will be 2 block away, nightlife will be either around me or a train ride away to Pasadena or Hollywood, and Staples Center or Dodger Stadium is a walk or a DASH away. Unfortunatley, my profession requires a car, being a Mobile Notary and in the Financial World, so i will still need a car for work.

·
LAL | LAD | LAK
6,477 Posts
Great idea for a thread!

I'm just so sick of hearing countless Angelenos bashing their own city, complaining about the traffic. My answer to them is to find an alternative route.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I used to take the train to work everyday when I worked in El Segundo from Long Beach.

Recently with gas being so high I was thinking of taking the train to work again. My problem is since I work nights there is no MTA bus going my way from the Redondo Beach Green Line station, and its a long walk though some empty streets (huge aerospace complex) to my job at a bank data center. I did check and found out there is a Torrance Bus that stops at the station, but I'm still not so sure about how it runs at 10pm. My other option I thought about was leaving my car parked at the train station by my job. Therefore when I come to work I can just drive around the corner approx. 1 1/2 miles to my job. It wouldn't be such a problem not having my car at home since I live in downtown Long Beach and I'm within walking distance to everything I need. Now here the other problem for me, I do need my car on Sundays, and Tuesdays early evening. I can't do without them on these days, unless I really want to cut down on my sleep. Believe me working nights you need all the sleep you can get, its not the same as working days.

So I don't know what I'm going to do, I really do like using public transportation, but right now the scale seems to be tipping towards just driving to work everyday. Besides at night it takes me 15 mins in my car, and by train (since I have to transfer) would take almost an hour. During the day when I worked in El Segundo, with rush hour traffic the train beat out driving the car.

Anyway I still use the train as much as I much as possible on my days off. Anytime I need or want to go to downtown LA, I always take the train. Also when I go to Hollywood, its the same thing, subway (Red Line). Around my hood, 75% of the time I either walk or take the free passport bus to the movies, to Pine Avenue, the waterfront, the library, and or Borders Books store.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hey ChrisLA, have you thought of throwing a bicycle into the mix? That might make the 1 1/2 mile journey from the train station to the data center a lot quicker and more bearable... but still car-free. Assuming it's not particularly hilly, 1 1/2 mi. on a bike is nothing and will probably take you 10 minutes.

·
skyscraper maniac
1,982 Posts
Well, living smacked in the middle of suburbs, there isn't a a bike/rail option, it's mostly buses. I will buy a car to get me to school, once I start earning Benjamins I will move to downtown or vicinity and change my lifestyle to urban.

·
Silver Lake
5,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I used to take the train to work everyday when I worked in El Segundo from Long Beach.

Recently with gas being so high I was thinking of taking the train to work again. My problem is since I work nights there is no MTA bus going my way from the Redondo Beach Green Line station, and its a long walk though some empty streets (huge aerospace complex) to my job at a bank data center. I did check and found out there is a Torrance Bus that stops at the station, but I'm still not so sure about how it runs at 10pm. .
You really should think about throwing a bike into the mix to "fill the gap". Now as far as it taking only 15 minutes by car at night, well I've always said transit really can't compete w/ private car outside of rush, particularly in the middle of the night be you in LA, NYC or Chicago. Though it would take me 30 minutes by train to get from midtown to uptown in NYC when by private car(taxi) it would only take me 15 if not 10 w/ some insane taxi drivers, I never thought about buying a car.

·
"There It Is, Take It!"
981 Posts
I live a car-lite lifestyle. I organize my mode of travel into distances:

0-1 miles: walk
1-5 mikes: bike
5-10 miles: train or bus
10 miles or over: car

In terms of perspective, I live 2 miles from central Hollywood or Mid-Wilshire, 4-5 miles from Downtown, 13 miles from Pasadena or West L.A. Within a 1-mile walk of where I live, there's a post office, five supermarkets, a few coffeehouses, fast food joints and a Pinkberry :)

This way I am not dependent on any one form of transportation -- I can use them all, for various purposes. I save money, I save gas and I save myself from being a fatass (hey, there's a slogan!)

Most people do not realize that short trips are not good for your automobile. The starting and stopping of an internal combustion engine, along with long periods of idling, causes more wear and tear on your car, which results in more auto repair in the long run. It's actually better on your car (and you fuel economy) to take a 100-mile trip than several short trips.

I also plan trips carefully to avoid having to drive all over town. For instance, if I have to visit some store in Culver city, I'll make sure to combine it with a visit to a friend's house in West L.A., etc.

·
"There It Is, Take It!"
981 Posts
You really should think about throwing a bike into the mix to "fill the gap".
I second that. 90% of all city buses have bike racks and you can bring them aboard any trrain. Part of what makes bus/train travel difficult is the long walk to or from the station. With a bike, that's virtually eliminated. Plus, if you skateboard, rollerblade or even have a razor scooter, you can use those too.

·
Silver Lake
5,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Also I don't think that people realize how close some of their amenities are to them. I also most times take the approach that if a train or rapid bus doesn't go there I probably can find a similar thing closer or more convenient.

·
LAL | LAD | LAK
6,477 Posts
Just curious, what's a typical commute by foot in other cities in terms of walking distance?

·
Registered
313 Posts
Would not-driving but being driven to places still be considered car-free? I don't drive, don't own a car, don't know how to drive, but if my destination is on the way to where my parents are going, I'll ask them for a ride. Like in the morning, my dad works in Brentwood and I work in Santa Monica, so he drops me off in the morning and he goes straight to work. After work, I take the 33/333 home and thats that. If I have to go to the valley, I just take a bus to westwood, catch the rapid there and voila, I'm in the valley.

It would be great if someone could provide a list of all 24-hour bus routes. Last night, I got into LA at around 12 am from Santa Cruz. My friend didn't want to give me a ride so I said I'll take the bus. I already knew that the 233 local bus goes from Westwood to Van Nuys all night so I thoguht that it would be the same for the opposite route. I waited at the bus stop for almost 2 hours while I saw the ww/van nuys bus pass by. So I had to call my sister to pick me up. What a bummer.

·
Shaken, never Stirred
8,014 Posts
y.

I waited at the bus stop for almost 2 hours while I saw the ww/van nuys bus pass by. So I had to call my sister to pick me up. What a bummer.

^ Exact reason why some prefer to drive in L.A.... Double Bummer, Huh?

·
Silver Lake
5,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That just took a little better planning. But listen up folks in case you didn't know, like most cities in the US LA does not have an extensive 24 hour transit system, really if at all.
But in my opinion even in cities where some take cabs everywhere they are still car dependant.

·
"There It Is, Take It!"
981 Posts
^ Exact reason why some prefer to drive in L.A.... Double Bummer, Huh?
The bus system works only if you know what the damn schedules are. Go to www.mta.net and read the .pdf files.
Even in transit-friendly cities like Portland, they have some bus lines that are very infrequent and come like once an hour.

1 - 20 of 553 Posts