SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For anyone that doesn't know..

This is Cardiff Arms Park:

It holds about 12,000 and is where Cardiff Blues Rugby club play, is adjacent the Millennium Stadium (and responsible for the 'odd' stand within it, right by the Taff and in prime city centre site. It doesn't make best use of the land it's on, and is showing it's age. A lot of options for it, some discussed here:

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/rugbyn...development-considered-by-wru-91466-31041556/

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
any pics of the Old Arms park,the one replaced by the Millenuim stad
Yep...

In the early 90's before the renovation of Old Trafford, Hampden, Highbury etc commenced it was probably the best ground in the country behind Wembley and Ibrox, and one original plan was to simply finish the ground off, and have a 45,000-50,000 capacity national stadium

·
Registered
285 Posts
Yep...

In the early 90's before the renovation of Old Trafford, Hampden, Highbury etc commenced it was probably the best ground in the country behind Wembley and Ibrox, and one original plan was to simply finish the ground off, and have a 45,000-50,000 capacity national stadium

i liked the fact that it had the open end though...was a great stadium

·
20,299 Posts

The new artificial pitch has been laid at the Arms Park and will be ready for use in a week’s time.

The surface was rolled out today at the world-famous home of the Cardiff Blues and is now in place, complete with pitch markings.

As our pictures show, while the playing surface is the normal green, the area between the touchline and the terrace is blue in colour.

The £400,000 project will be completed by next Friday, at which point the contractors will leave the site.

It will then be ready for use, with the Blues players set to train on it as part of the bedding-in process.

Chief executive Richard Holland said: “It’s just incredible.

“Having walked on it, it’s a softer surface than most park pitches are at this time of year.

“Having seen it every day and watched the project develop, it’s just remarkable.

“We are delighted and looking forward to people getting on it.”

Meanwhile, the Blues’ Heineken Cup tie away to Toulon in January could be moved to Nice by the French club.
http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/cardiff-arms-park-becomes-pitch-5352955

·
Registered
16,980 Posts
I watch Widnes in the rugby league and the artificial pitch makes for brilliant, fast attacking rugby. I'm not so sure how it'll stand up to the rucks, mauls and scrims in union!

·
Tax avoider
24,119 Posts
any pics of the Old Arms park,the one replaced by the Millenuim stad
Yep...

Strictly speaking, that was the National Stadium (though it was often colloquially referred to as Cardiff Arms Park)...

·
Tax avoider
24,119 Posts
From The Guardian's weekly rugby newsletter "The Breakdown" (I can't find an online version to link to):

Talks are continuing between the WRU and Cardiff Athletic Club over the completion of the Millennium Stadium. When the ground was constructed at the end of the 1990s, the WRU and Cardiff were barely on speaking terms and the club refused permission for its south stand to be demolished.

The Millennium Stadium's north stand had to be built on to it and the result was a ground that lacked symmetry. The WRU is hoping to complete the work, subject to cost, and has offered to build Cardiff a new stand.

The deal depends on Cardiff Athletic Club, which is a federation of sports, agreeing not just a price but how much money should go to its tenants, Cardiff Blues, who over the years have invested in the Arms Park and the region was born out of Cardiff Rugby Football Club.

Time is running out for the work to be completed by the start of the 2015 World Cup, part of which will be staged in Cardiff, but there would be a modest increase in the 74,500 capacity to help the WRU secure more major events for the ground.

·
Tax avoider
24,119 Posts
The Ticketmaster website has a helpful interactive seating map, so I was able to come up with the figures needed to work out roughly what the increase might be...

New stadium:

Upper tier 33 rows, middle tier 15 rows, lower tier 29 rows

Gap in upper tier (west side): 9 rows x 45 seats

Gap in upper tier (east side): 9 rows x 49 seats

Old North Stand:

Upper tier 20 rows, middle tier 17 rows, lower tier 25 rows (in reality upper and middle are continuous)

Width of Old North Stand: 125 seats (average)

Therefore:

Seats lost demolishing old North Stand: 125 x (20+17+25) = -7750

Seats in rebuilt North Stand: 125 x (33+15+29) = 9625

Seats filling gap in third tier (west side): 9 x 45 = 405

Seating filling gap in third tier (east side): 8 x 49 = 392

9625 + 405 + 392 - 7750 = 2672 new seats

(Obviously I haven't accounted for space taken by vomitories etc. in my calculations, but since there won't be more than a few more new ones than old ones, my numbers shouldn't be far off)

·
Registered
423 Posts
I would like to see this done but can not see that the addition of 2,500 seats plus maybe 12 more hospitality boxes would be a worthwhile investment.

And would this mean the Blues having to leave CAP...and if so to where??

·
Tax avoider
24,119 Posts
I would like to see this done but can not see that the addition of 2,500 seats plus maybe 12 more hospitality boxes would be a worthwhile investment.
I imagine that they'd be full for up to 6 matches a year (all internationals bar Tier 2 nations, and Heineken, sorry European Champions Cup finals), so that's probably an extra £100k revenue per match for the plebs' seats and catering spend and the same again for hospitality? Maybe an extra £1 million (with severe rounding!) income a season?

And would this mean the Blues having to leave CAP...and if so to where??
They'd certainly have to shift them north (after spending oodles on a shiny new plastic pitch) at the very least.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts