SkyscraperCity Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
This is the halls of residence for the college. Given that the wacky Premier Inn is next door to this proposal, I think that the bar on architectural quality has been set pretty low

·
Registered
11,065 Posts
This is the halls of residence for the college. Given that the wacky Premier Inn is next door to this proposal, I think that the bar on architectural quality has been set pretty low
The premier Inn is actually quite a nice building close up, its just from a distance on the skyline its not so great. It also has a unform form and follws the street pattern, the new proposal looks dreadful as has a single story ground frontage and surface car park and set back building with odd shapes and angles with mean little windows.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I think that this is a realistic development which fills in an awkward gap - and will fit in nicely with later developments around the metro interchange. Also developed in conjunction with associated college building.

Thumbs up from me.

·
Registered
51 Posts
It could be a pleasant building but that colour scheme lets it down. The wonky red section will age like milk, and we've seen from the premier inn that large facades of uninterrupted black cladding look quite imposing from a distance

·
Registered
196 Posts
That cannot be the colour scheme? I mean the height is right and the design could work as it (kind of) gives a nod the style of the waterfront offices near the Senedd so it may work.

The real plus is the vibrany Monday to Friday the students will bring and help drag the Bay away from the water a bit - as an aside, visited Academy coffee near the Bay station on Friday, great coffee house! Overall, I get the feeling the Bay is ready for another stretch with the Arena moving forward so if this adds to that momentum then great - as long as the quality is there of course.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts