SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just thought id post some pictures of Cardiff, the largest city in Wales (320,000 with a metro of around 700,000 -800,000). Smaller than its English neighbour bristol but a much nicer city IMO.

The cities most famous icon, the Millennium stadium, 75,000 seats and will be 80,000 when complete. Has the first retractable roof in the UK and is one of the best places in Europe for Concerts and events (Madonna playing in a couple of weeks) and can hold around 120,000 fans. Its also right in the city center with only a short walk to bars, restaurants etc.

Here it is when Cardiff hosted the FA cup when wembly was being built (ironic that Cardiff FC should have to go to Wembly when we held it a few years before!)

The main shopping street Queen Street. One of the nicest shopping streets in the UK IMO

Interesting spanish designed building

Lots of faces on this building

Here is a nice area of Italina and independant restaurants

Not far from the above is the Hayes Island snack bar

A modern bar and restaurant area called the brewery quarter as its built within the site of an old brewery

Some office areas

A nice planned office square. Cardiff is startin to attract more and more office construction due to the quality of lifestyle in the city.

Some apartments at the end of the shopping street

An old victorian shopping arcade. Cardif is famous for these with interesting independant shops

The transformation of Cardiff bay is one of the largest waterfront redevelopments in Europe. Here is the craft center and fountains

The new opera house and water tower

The fresh water lake created by the 1 billion pound barrage (nearly $2billion) has change tidal mudflats into an amazing area

Another Cardiff arcade

River boardwalk looking towards the cities main park and along with others makes cardiff have more green space per head than any other city in the UK

The well planned civic center

City hall

And fans welcoming the football team back after they arrived across the bay by boat

These photos are from flickr and google

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the kind coments!

Here are some more pictures, Cardiff has 7 castles but here are some pics of the 3 main ones

Cardiff castle, is 2000 years old and has many different styles incorporated into it. First built as a roman fortress and finally being a victorian palace owned by the richest man in the world. Its at a crucial juction in the city where the main shopping street merges with the cities main street of bars and restaurants, also the main park is to the side and rear of the castle making it a focal point of the center.

From the main shopping street

Seen from the park

the king of the castle

The norman keep

View of the city from the top, a classic car show going on by the look of it

The 'Apartments' a victorian fantasy

The fortune spent on the interiors can be seen from this small piece of ceiling (no photos allowed inside)

Castle Coch (red castle) origionally built as a watch tower it was rebuilt as a hunting lodge on the edge of the city

Equally beautiful inside

Queens bedroom at the top of one of the towers

Caerphilly castle, not pretty but really is a beast of a castle. its the second largest in Europe and reputed to be the most defendable due to its extensive water systems

One of its towers leans more than Pisa's because there was an attempt to destroy the tower during the civil war as the castle was seen as such a big threat

Now they hold events and weddings here (though i know hich of the 3 i'd preffer!

·
Civilization
2,713 Posts
When I visited, I went to the castle and the waterfront and that was it. I wish I could've seen more.

The suburbs around the city seemed very modern, I love Cardiff!

·
Just a freak
2,881 Posts
I like that everything is written in English and in Cymraeg.

Anyway, it's a charming place.

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
When I visited, I went to the castle and the waterfront and that was it. I wish I could've seen more.

The suburbs around the city seemed very modern, I love Cardiff!
When did you visit? Where did you stay? Its a shame you missed most of the city, did you see the civic center as that the other must see.

Cardiff looks fantastic! Now only if you could find the entrance to Torchwood...
Ha ha.......do you get torchwood in America then? I knew cardiff was big in the media within the UK but not outside.

Great pics Cardiff, you should try and get some of Roath park on here!
Yes the parks in Cardiff are exceptional, Bute park was landscaped by capability brown no less.

·
Administrator
79,194 Posts
Well, I know sometimes people hide the credits in the oddest places, but in this entire thread the only reference to the origin of the photos is right in the very middle:

"These photos are from flickr and google"

I had hoped that by now people would be making more of an effort
to properly credit the photographers of these lovely photographs we take from the web. If this is the best people can come up with for crediting, then at least tell us this with every entry of photos, please... don't make the mods search through hundreds of photos for a credit. If it is just a general note like the one I found above, please put it at the beginning of the thread.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts