SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Just to bring this thread up to date, this project is still ongoing. The web site shows the John Street building as the next to be developed:

http://capitalquarter.com
Foundation work is underway on this:

John Street

Project Facts

• 22/12/10 stories
  • 300,000 sq ft of office space
  • Retail on the ground floor, with cafes and restaurants planned for the existing railway arches
  • Two public squares, with roof terraces at the top of each block, potentially a rooftop 'beacon' using lighting at the top of the development

Link: https://jrsmart.com/current-projects/9/john-street

New Adventure Travel 526 YJ16 DZC – X8 – 13:35 Cardiff Bay to Thornhill by Jṏs, on Flickr

·
Registered
164 Posts
The 9 storey office block is well underway.

There are reports of work starting on the second 20+ plus tower too. One thing CQ has done is drag town south, there is a Co op store on the ground floor of No2 and looks like a sandwich/wrap shop is opening in No 3. This is positive.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I like it. Looks simple and clean and add to helping drag town south.

Given CQ development I think there is merit in looking at a metro/rail stop on the Bay line.

·
Registered
827 Posts
I like it as well. It will make Callaghan Square seem less windswept than it is at the moment. The proposed tower on the same site will also be a nice contrast (if it ever gets built). I think the plan is to also have a small square and use some of the railway arches for commercial. I hope they do, it could be a nice little area especially with outdoor seating and make the area less dead after office hours. At the moment that area is somewhere to pass through (quickly) on the way to the Bay from the city centre or vice versa..

·
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I started the Twitter account to try and attract people to the forum. It hasn't worked so far, but it is turning out to be a good source up updates!

·
Registered
10,703 Posts
Yeah a few companies update on there, also Facebook groups are good for photo updates, though you have to either ignore the winging comments or tackle them logically, there are enough 'normal' people to come to your aid most times to not make you think you are insane.

·
Registered
164 Posts
That’s a great view from the CQ car park. I am probably in a minority but I like the Zenith tower and once this corner is fully ‘up’ and combined with CS it will make a really great gateway to the city centre. I wonder when and if there will be news on the empty southern plot?

·
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The Zenith isn't the prettiest building, but I don't hate it. Yes, hopefully that site gets snapped up quickly now the council is selling it.

·
Registered
10,703 Posts
I like the Zenith building on the most part, it would be much better if they didnt break up the floors with horizontal breaks, the blank wall facing south is ugly but i can understand why they dont want the full force of the sun on the windows most of the day. The colour is not great but will hold up better than white stucco and the worst part is the MASSIVE sign! The low rise element is the best part and interaction at ground level facing the dock feeder, also the greenery added along Tyndall Street is a nice change. I think the top also is not a huge success, but lets face it, its a cut above many student towers across the country! cough***Leeds****cough

·
Registered
827 Posts
There is an application to refurb six railway arches in John Street for retail, cafe, bar, restaurant use with an outside seating area. This is where the latest JR Smart office block is currently being built and where there is a proposed tower with hotel/office use. I'm not sure if its Capital Quarter or Callaghan Square but I thought I'd pit it here anyway.

It seems a great idea to me and may even drag the night time city centre economy south of the railway line (just).It would be good to see Callaghan Square used by someone other than skateboarders as well. With Capital Quarter plus the residential going u in that area and south of the rail station it would be nice to see a couple of kiosks there plus room for pop ups with outdoor seating etc. At the moment its a dead space surrounded by traffic..

·
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Looks good, and yes, it will be a good thing to bring some life south of the railway.

I think you've just highlighted a bit of an oversight in that I thought John Street was part of Capital Quarter but it's actually a separate development. I need to add it to the map and it should probably have it's own thread too.

ETA: Now in separate thread!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts