SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
It didn't look very 'in progress' when I walked past the site a couple of weeks ago. Is there a timetable for this?

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
I think shahid may be being a bit optimistic. I think this will be a fantastic looking mosque, and a real benefit to Cardiff, but my understanding is that they are fundraising and construction isn't imminent.

·
Kyle
50 Posts
On what street is this going to be built and does anyone know how tall the towers will be ? Fantastic looking building by the way.

·
Registered
266 Posts
On what street is this going to be built and does anyone know how tall the towers will be ? Fantastic looking building by the way.
If it's on the site of the old Madina mosque (that I thought was a warehouse until it got burnt out last year) then it at the "other-end" of Woodville Rd (round the back of The Crwys), in otherwords the bit that most people think is another road. However, from the Render it looks more like it's in Saudia Arabia what with all the Palm Trees!

·
Kyle
50 Posts
Thanks. The main reason for my question was the complete lack of surrounding buildings in the background of the render.

So is this actually happening now because I've only ever seen it in the initial Cardiff Projects thread posting and the website seems a tad out of date ?

·
Registered
131 Posts
To be honest i hope it doesnt happen, you will probaly brand me a racist but i hope it doesnt get built. I disagree with building supersize mosque's in UK cities. I have no problem with small mosque's but big ones in my opinion are diluting our heritage and culture. I mean dont get me wroung its a beatiful building just in the wroung place.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
To be honest i hope it doesnt happen, you will probaly brand me a racist but i hope it doesnt get built. I disagree with building supersize mosque's in UK cities. I have no problem with small mosque's but big ones in my opinion are diluting our heritage and culture. I mean dont get me wroung its a beatiful building just in the wroung place.
They are not building mosque just for fun, they NEED big mosque for capacity of large numbers of people. Mosque is always full, that is a problem.. Even many churches converted to Mosque because most Christian don't pray anymore.

small mosque's? If they do then they will build hundreds of small mosque's.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I agree Cardiff needs a mosque like this. Swansea has a similar problem and is also in need of a good central mosque. Both cities have many Muslims and both need a central place for their religion. A stand out building like the one proposed is exactly what is required... in both cities.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Even many churches converted to Mosque because most Christian don't pray anymore.

small mosque's? If they do then they will build hundreds of small mosque's.

I think you've just proved his point. Our culture is being diluted.:eek:hno:

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
In 50-100 years time the Muslims will be the majority, I guess. We've been out-bred.
Nope, Atheist will be the majority. Infact, they probably already are. Most people who claims to be christian nowadays are pretty far from it. As was pointed out those people never go and pray anymore, never go to mass. Only use their churches for their ostentatious(sp?) wedding celebrations, which is about as un-chrisitan as you can get.

Christianty is not our culture, it's an import. Just an older one than Islam.

And if you believe the christianity is our culture, do you support that culture by going to church every sunday, and ensuring that our vast and impressive churchs are not just a pretty orniment(sp?) in the street scape but are actually used?

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
In light of thr change of direction of this thread, I'd like to re-emphasise my support for this mosque.

Particularly ironic are comments about the dilution of culture. The UK's first ever mosque was built in Cardiff. Muslims have settled here since the 1850's, and are part and parcel of the history of the city of Cardiff. There's probably few Kairdiff kids around that don't have some muslim blood in their family.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Predictions of Muslims "taking over" Britain are far off the mark - they make up something like 4 - 4.5% of the UK population and even with their more rapid population growth are in no way going to be anywhere near a majority. France, Germany, Netherlands, Belgium etc all have much higher Muslim populations that we do.

There will be more problems with integration and community relations if we try to discriminate against minority groups - it will build resentment and division. Worship and attending the Mosque is a very important part of many Muslims lives - and as someone pointed out much more important than Church to the majority of self-labelled Christians who don't believe in any of the real tenets of Christianity.

Thats not to say we need to encourage integration more - America has done it successfully although its Muslim population is smaller again, proportionally, and from much more affluent backgrounds in the 'motherland'. But you don't integrate by discriminating. You integrate by ensuring children are taught together, everyone has access to English language teaching, ensuring rules are applied commonly across groups etc.

I think if the Mosque gets built, it would be great, giving a focal point for what seems a disperate community in the city. But its likely going to look nothing like this 'concept' - it will be on a rain-sodden street and will be much less tall and graceful. Their fundraising quoted an amount of £5 million. Theres no way they could build THAT for such a comparatively small sum.

·
Maaaaaaaaarvellous
2,703 Posts
Maybe, but if you look more carefully at the drawings it's clearly a bonsai mosque. It gives the impression of being huge but is actually built to a rather smaller scale.

Shahid - do you know anything about the progress of this project? The last website updates talk about construction in 2005, which clearly we've missed, and there has been no update since the fire a few years ago. I would personally be delighted to see it built, but it looks unlikely, at least in the medium term.

In any case, the title of this thread should definitely read 'proposed' (or possibly approved) rather than 'in progress'.

·
Banned
59 Posts
crazyevildude said: "Christianty is not our culture" - oh, what ignorant Welsh-culture-denying cr*p. St David, our patron saint, 500 years BC, the bulding of a magnificent cathedral in the 12th century on the site of a 6th century monastery, Christianity extending through the Middle Ages, the great wave of nonconformist chapel building throughout the 19th century. Christianity in this country is as old as the Welsh language itself (which dates back to the 6th century) - it defines the history of our culture. People just haven't got a clue about history. Are you trying to erase 2000 years of the history of a proud nation?

But back to the bulding...

Sorry, but this type of mosque does inevitably dilute our culture. It's not indigenous Welsh culture at all. There's no recognition of Wales in this building at all. It could be anywhere in the world. It's being teleported into Cardiff with no sensitivity toward the local vernacular architecture whatsoever. It's like McDonalds architecture. If McDonalds built a 200ft tall burger bar with a huge American flag and Harley Davidson motorbikes on the forecourt with towers you'd all be complaning like hell. This is absolutely no different in that respect.

·
Maaaaaaaaarvellous
2,703 Posts
Please clarify what the 'local vernacular architecture' is supposed to be? Victorian gothic? Cardiff Castle? City Hall? Millennium Stadium? Those last two especially could be 'anywhere in the world'!

It's a mosque. Exactly how do you expect it to reflect Wales? Islam is not a traditionally Welsh religion. But that's the fun things about multicultural cities, you get exciting buildings with a variety of cultural influences.

In any case, it looks highly unlikely to be built, so you probably have your wish.

·
Banned
59 Posts
Please clarify what the 'local vernacular architecture' is supposed to be? Victorian gothic? Cardiff Castle? City Hall? Millennium Stadium? Those last two especially could be 'anywhere in the world'.
You make good points. There are plenty of buildings in Cardiff I could add to your list - like I say, your average McDonalds shed, or PC World.

But that's not a good thing!!! It's a bad thing!

It's identikit architecture. Comes out of a pack. Same everytime. New York? Plonk. London? Plonk. Cardiff? Plonk.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts