SkyscraperCity Forum banner

CARDIFF - Principality Stadium (73,931)

129K views 200 replies 87 participants last post by  hkskyline 
#1 · (Edited)
One of my favorite stadiums....especialy being a Liverpool fan...being able to play there more times than any other club team!

One of the best stadiums in the world for top class facilities....much room and space....shops bars and resturants all on site! :cheers:

Its being used as the main stadium for English football finals and semi finals while wembley is being rebuilt....I will miss it!

The seats are in the welsh national colours!

The only thing i dislike about this stadium is the broken up end stand lowered and only 2 tiers....if they kept it the same as the opposite side it would probably be a 80,000 seater!

See less See more
#5 ·
Iain1974 said:
Once Wembley opens, what future events will be at the Millenium? Welsh football and rugby internationals but beyond that? I'd guess whoever owns it (WRU?) will struggle a bit.
Remember the Millenium stadium cost a small fraction of what Wembley is costing so they don't have to have the same number of events to make a profit.

Welsh football and especially Rugby are usually sold out plus all the concerts and other stuff they have going on it should be fine.

In the forthcoming year they already have the following events booked and there might be some more concerts organised.

10 Apr LDV Vans Trophy Final
16 Apr FA Cup Semi-Final 01
17 Apr FA Cup Semi-Final 02
23 Apr WRU Reebok Regional Championships - U18 Final
30 Apr WRU Reebok Regional Championships - U16 & U20 Finals
2 May Grand Slam Celebration
7 May Konica Minolta Cup Final
21 May The FA Cup Final
23 May British & Irish Lions v Argentina
28 May Coca Cola Football League 2 Play Off
29 May Coca Cola Football League 1 Play Off
30 May Coca Cola Football League Championship Play Off
5 Jun Britain & Ireland v The World
11 Jun FIM Fiat Vans British Speedway Grand Prix
29 Jun U2 - Live in Concert
10 Jul R.E.M Live in Concert
27 Aug Powergen Challenge Cup Final
3 Sep Wales v England World Cup Qualifier
17 Sep Wales Rally GB 2005
12 Oct Wales v Azerbaijan World Cup Qualifier
12 Feb Wales v Scotland RBS Six Nations
11 Mar Wales v Italy RBS Six Nations
18 Mar Wales v France RBS Six Nations

#7 ·
I like the Millenium Stadium but its two tier end is very strange. Surely it'd make more sense to continue to bowl all the way around as you have no obvious need for a two tier end. Anyway, i hope they didn't get a case of the Americans and felt some quirky tier design would make it 'better'.

#8 ·
etched Chaos said:
I like the Millenium Stadium but its two tier end is very strange. Surely it'd make more sense to continue to bowl all the way around as you have no obvious need for a two tier end. Anyway, i hope they didn't get a case of the Americans and felt some quirky tier design would make it 'better'.
That end is the one that is on the same side as the office buildings next door. They are pretty close as it is, maybe there wasn't room to continue the bowl all the way around :dunno:

#12 ·

Yeah I still got this coin commemorating the 1999 world cup.....The design is supposed to me a rugby ball, two goal posts and the millennium stadium....I can see the ball and the posts....but nothing there that reminds me of the Millennium stadium!

#14 ·
The reason one end is two tiered is because of the rugby ground right behind the north stand, when the redevelopment took place they tried to knock down Cardiff Athletic's south stand but they refused so they had to redesign the whole stadium.

Here is a little information

''The main contractors for the Millennium Stadium, Laing, hit problems immediately when the neighbouring rugby football club chose not to allow the demolition of a stand on its land to go ahead. This stand shared a party wall with the north stand of Cardiff Arms Park. One could not be demolished without demolishing the other. This decision forced major changes to the original design for the complex structure, affecting all the loadings that depended on the roof 's position.

Four 80m-high corner masts to support the roof were originally angled to over sail the disputing club's stand next-door. When they would not allow this, the entire load calculations had to be changed with expensive implications to reposition and beef up the masts.

Laing's tower cranes were also not allowed to swing over the neighbouring club's airspace and cladding contractors had to work from inside. Site access limitations meant that everything had to enter and exit through just one opening.''

Here is a view

Plus a website showing the Millenium Stadium during it's construction

http://www.cardiff.gov.uk/cardiff/rugby/stadium/stadium_nov.htm

#15 ·
The way I heard it, the original plan was to move Cardiff RFC to a new stadium, and use the space occupied by both the Arms Park and the National Stadium for the new Millennium Stadium - however since a lot of Lottery money was being used for the project, it was pointed out that the Lottery grant didn't involve the building of a new club stadium, and Cardiff RFC weren't willing to pay for the new ground themselves (unsurprisingly). Hence the crappy end stand.

#16 ·
i heard somewhere a while back that with regional rugby starting in Wales, Cardiff Blues may be tempted to move to a new ground (maybe even a stadium share with cardiff city fc's new ground).
I think the plan is that the 2 tier end will eventually be re-developed to make the stadium a 3 tier bowl and beef up the capacity to 80,000+. But we're looking at many years from now (about a decade)

#18 ·
danJonze87 said:
I think the plan is that the 2 tier end will eventually be re-developed to make the stadium a 3 tier bowl and beef up the capacity to 80,000+. But we're looking at many years from now (about a decade)
If the two-tier end were redeveloped so that the stadium became a complete three-tier bowl, there's no way the capacity would reach 80,000 - 75,000 is more likely (current capacity is 73,434, not the 74,500 in the Subject, and is reduced to 72,500 for soccer matches).

#20 · (Edited)
Hypothetical Millennium Stadium completion

Every time I see the Millennium Stadium on television I can't help wondering what it would be like if the North Stand were rebuilt in the same style as the rest of the stadium. I always used to do the same with Twickenham until they finally redeveloped the South Stand - maybe if Cardiff RFC ever move the same will happen at the Millennium.

Anyway, it would be an interesting mental exercise to try and work out what the capacity would be if it ever happened.

What we need to find out is how many seats are missing in the top tier either side of the North Stand (red circle) - I don't think it's the same each side as the North Stand isn't centred on the pitch - call this A.

Then the number of rows in the upper tier (green line) - call this B, and middle tier (yellow line) - call this C.

Finally the number of rows (purple line) - call this D - and number of seats in each row (blue line) - call this E - in the North Stand upper tier.

The number of extra seats will be:

A + (B x E) + (C x E) - (D x E)

So, if anybody has any decent close-up photos of the Millennium Stadium, or is able to count the seats on TV, we'll be able to work it out! :)

#50 · (Edited)
Every time I see the Millennium Stadium on television I can't help wondering what it would be like if the North Stand were rebuilt in the same style as the rest of the stadium. I always used to do the same with Twickenham until they finally redeveloped the South Stand - maybe if Cardiff RFC ever move the same will happen at the Millennium.

Anyway, it would be an interesting mental exercise to try and work out what the capacity would be if it ever happened.

What we need to find out is how many seats are missing in the top tier either side of the North Stand (red circle) - I don't think it's the same each side as the North Stand isn't centred on the pitch - call this A.

Then the number of rows in the upper tier (green line) - call this B, and middle tier (yellow line) - call this C.

Finally the number of rows (purple line) - call this D - and number of seats in each row (blue line) - call this E - in the North Stand upper tier.

The number of extra seats will be:

A + (B x E) + (C x E) - (D x E)

So, if anybody has any decent close-up photos of the Millennium Stadium, or is able to count the seats on TV, we'll be able to work it out! :)

man charlie P is awesome I freaking love his math formulas and reasoning , comlpetley revolutionised the way i think of stadium capacity m))

edit: i really like the fact that one end is different . it separates it from all the bland full bowl Allianz copies out there ...

#22 ·
#29 ·
Urban Myth.

Its not listed. Its Cardiff Blues. The North stand overhangs - and is attached to the south stand the Cardiff Blues Ground (what is now called the arms park) and they have refused to move. Unless they move in when the Cardiff City Stadium is built the completion of the bowl won't happen.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.