SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whether we like them or not, their ubiquity makes them difficult to ignore. I thought I would collect all their Leeds project images in one place so we can assess their overall contribution to the built environment in this city.

Tip: websites only show images they are constructed to show, but if you type into your browser the image folder - if it is not locked down - you get to see the contents of it:

http://www.careyjones.co.uk/images
http://www.careyjones.co.uk/images/upload/

So, next time you're browsing an architect's website, locate where the images are stored (right click, properties) and see if you can list the contents of the image folder! Reason? They might be storing other images yet to be included on their website of forthcoming projects...

I include here only images pertaining to Leeds, although I did notice some for Sheffield, Newcastle etc.

(Apologies to those on narrow-band internet connections :eek:hno: )

Northern Dance Centre

Clarence Dock

Tetley's Brewery Wharf (deceased)

Park Lane College

Park Row Offices

Princes Exchange

Rose Wharf

Clarence Dock Student Accommodation

No.1 Dock Street

The Quays

The Plaza

Corn Exchange

Debenhams

Clarence Dock Car Park

Criterion Place Car Park

Clarence Dock

Tower Works

Wellington Place

West Central

Whitehall

Bar Lux

Centaur House Lofts

Clarence House Apartments

Park Row Apartments

Victoria Quarter

Leeds Train Station

New York House

Simpsons Fold

Eastbank

Flax Place

Gateway

Mayfair

·
Registered
370 Posts
Like them or not they seem to be changing the face of Leeds.

There are some superb examples of their work (park row office and Princes exchange) and some less so (student accomodation at clarence dock and the quays)

Although not many tall proposals. Looking at all the pictures I'm suprised I'm not that dissapointed.

·
Bermondsey Boro
2,340 Posts
Talk about one extreme to the other in those photos! Amazing that the same company behind the wonderful Simpsons Fold could have produced the monstrosity that is No 1 Dock Street! It just goes to show that blaming Carey Jones for bland terracotta clad buildings is too easy, it seems that the blame must lie with the client, if they want a building with no architectural merit then CJ are willing to oblige, but if a quality design is asked for then they are willing and fully able to provide.

I'd be fascinated to know the difference in price between a similarly sized beauty and beast from that extensive list. Does good design necessarily cost more I wonder?

·
heavymetalmayhem
92 Posts
Magicrealist where you board today? :)

I think ahmedd's comment is spot on. They do seem to have pulled off some really quality designs that I didn't realise was theirs.

Anybody now which was there first project?

I thought the Criterion Place carpark was Foster's single addition to the Leeds skyline?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
heavymetalmayhem said:
Magicrealist where you board today? :)
...or bored even ;)

Well, not exactly, but I was hunting around for a better picture of Globe Road, but the Assael site has their image folder locked down, so I thought let's try CJ!

I'm sure CJ has a number of talented architects and their designs are driven more by commercial necessity than the client's desire for something "special", however, by placing them together I thought we might see some coherent motifs emerge. Other than their fondness for the horizontal and vertical I am failing to see any distinct style cues.

Perhaps our learned colleagues over on the Glasgow forum could provide the enlightenment...

·
Registered
4,676 Posts
You know looking at that portfolio we can see that Carey Jones are indeed prolific, and perhaps we are somewhat harsh on them sometimes. Rose Wharf, Centaur House and the conversions obviously give them plenty to work with but these combined with Park Row, Princess Exchange etc are excellent examples of modern architecture in Leeds. I can see that the Wellington Place renders plus several others demonstrate the terracotta tiling issue we seem to have probs with, but when compared to the greater body of work in totality, the combined sum of CJs work is strong. Remember that West Central and Whitehall Riverside has been totally redesigned and will hopefully include another 30-40 storey tower.

The Quays, the Plaza, New York House, Whitehall Riverside, Wellington Place and West Central all seem to include 'Carey Jonesesque' designs, namely blocky buildings with stepped profiles and terracotta tiling / panelling. Whilst we may see these as quite sloppy (and remember they did the same for Whitehall Quays / Novotel as well), I think these are somewhat balanced by some of the better work elsewhere.

Tis all subjective of course, but cheers to magicrealist for putting all these together, perhaps gives us a better context to make comment. Its a great summary of the work of just one company of architects in what is the regeneration of our city, for which we should all be thankful.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I kenw they did alot of Leeds work, but not this much. Goes to show that they are capable of some realy great buildings, and even the terracotta buildings, whilst a bit bland, are certainly not offensive.

The only ugly building of the lot there is the student accomodation, but I imagine they were subject to very tight budget restrictions there.

·
Registered
314 Posts
The work speaks for its self this practice has produced some excellent buildings and will continue to do so for a long time to come. WELL DONE CAREY JONES.....

·
Registered
370 Posts
Carey Jones take on Wakefield!

New plan to transform city centre

A whole range of new buildings could be built
A £100m regeneration scheme is being planned for the centre of Wakefield.
The scheme would create a new commercial quarter for the city including offices, shops and bars as well as apartments.

Architects Carey Jones are also suggesting the Westgate railway station could be relocated although no final decision has been made.

The plans, which already have outline planning permission, go on display next week at the Ridings shopping centre.

Councillor Denise Jeffery, Wakefield Council's cabinet member for regeneration, said: "This scheme presents one of the most important city centre development opportunities in the region.

"Together with the Marsh Way and Waterfront schemes, this project will contribute to the total transformation of Wakefield into a city of regional and national importance."

·
Registered
571 Posts
Is that for Wakefield? Looks alright, should be quite a ncie building if the claddings stone like it looks like.

Nice to see some more development in Wakefield, it's about time.

·
Registered
81 Posts
My twopenneth on the Carey Jones contribution to the city:

Northern Dance Centre - we will see.
Clarence Dock - not shaping up too badly, but slight concerns about blandness en masse. Would be good to see a change in arch style for the remainder of the development.
Brewery Wharf - Did not realise this was one of theirs. I do like this building a great deal, particulalrly the circular shape.
Park Lane College - this is a crime against one of the best views in Leeds, looking down the Headrow towards the Town Hall. It now has this looming mass sticking out from the Town Hall.
Park Row offices - this is one of my favourite buildings in Leeds. Real stand-out architecture.
Princess Exchange - the introduction of the wedge overhang. A solid distinctive building. Adds well to the city.
Rose Wharf - good conversion
Clarence Dock Student blocks - ah yes. A real bum note, but starting to see a pattern here, like Park Lane college I guess a client with a VERY tight budget. And no taste. Not fussy either.
No1 Dock Street - not certain about this one. Had a look round it, and still grappling with the sense of the decking over the parking and that communal riverside balcony.
The Quays - bog standard
The Plaza - we will see.
The Corn Exchange - Excuse me. I think Cuthbert may have something to say about this!! Not a bad conversion though.
Debenhams - a game of two halves...
Clarence Dock Car Park - m/s are notoriously difficult beasts to make look attractive. Not a bad effort
Criterion Place - see above, but a lees good effort. A design that will date, but thank you for giving us such great viewing platforms if Criterion goes ahead!!
Clarence Dock - see above
Tower Works - DO NOT SCREW THIS ONE UP. As a Holbeck revolutionary, words will be said if this goes wrong. But it could go so right it is mouth watering.
Wellington Place - cool lighting!! I have commented on the last building elsewhere. It was not complementary if I remember rightly....
West Central - ah yes, the teracotta and grey moment. Looking worse than expected. Lets see the tower then.
Whitehall - oh yes, purr purr. A real this is a booming city rebuilding itself moment when you arrive on the train. Will probably date, but will look better once the masterplan is developed and landscaping is established all the way along. As above, lets see the Tower then. And the Bridge, I liked that - it needs an iconic piece along here.
Bar Lux - I'm still purring...a great little addition to the Calls / Lower Briggate scene.
Various interiors - all look very nicely lit...
Victoria Quarter - another cracking refurb
Leeds Station - probably even more iconic than the above in my book. Ignoring the various unworthies hanging about / McDonalds etc, this is a rare example of a fantastic Art Deco space in the centre of Leeds, spectacularly refurbed from the gloomy dripping car park it used to be.
Simpsons Fold - a cheeky little riversdie number.
New York House to Mayfair - we shall see. Oh yes, a CJ tower - not a bad first effort. Gives you chance to hone skills for the next couple!!!

Overall, thanks magic for the hard work putting it all up there, and I guess well done CJ. Despite a couple of stinkers that tend to stick in the mind, many more decent schemes that I had realised, and some of my favourites in Leeds. Certainly has altered my view.

·
Děkuji, a Dobrou Noc!
150 Posts
Some stylish stuff. They've done a lot more than I thought. I'm particularly impressed with their refurb and office work, less so the residential. The student accommodation looks like a prison (but then again don't they always. In fact my student accommodation at Sheffield uni was based on a Swedish women's prison!)

I imagine teracotta is often chosen as a cladding material in residential developments because of its warm and tactile qualities. Fair enough, its cheap too. The problem is when it becomes ubiquitous. The building will lose its individuality and become nonedescript, which is obviously undesirable in housing.

Fortunately, there seems to be a move away from excessive terracotta usage. Unfortunately it seems to be towards aluminium cladding panels which lack the tactile qualities that the terracotta may have. I hate the stuff. Grrr...maybe I should give up architecture and become a bricklayer! Bring back bricks!(used in creative and interesting ways of course - no more Leeds look)

I wonder if CJ remember their statement in Building Design a couple of years ago about Leeds not being an important enough city to deserve world-class architecture? I suppose that lack of ambition coupled with their dominace of Leeds' architecture tainted them somewhat in the eyes of many people here. Seeing a list of their work posted here, much of which looks pretty good, makes me wonder why they even made that statement in the first place...

·
Mmm, Danone
2,040 Posts
The Park Lane Offices have nowt to do with Park Lane College don't they? Seeing as one's a college and t'other appears to be an out-and-out office block.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Don't think we can be hard enough on Carey Jones. I attend a great number of planning commitee meetings where they are month in month out given a major kicking by the planners.

When they did the pre-application presentation of their master plan for the Yorkshire Chemicals site they mentioned that there would be " a mix of architecture."

The members mis-heard this as "a number of architects would be used" and asked if a really good architect would be amongst them of national or international importance.

Carey's guy didn't know what to say.

The planners only approved their canal basin site in Holbeck after 3 hours of debate on the strength of " we it's better than a car park". Sterling Prize awaits.....not

Boring, complacent, cookery book architecture!

Gordon needs to leave his Tuscan villa, sit in on a few planning meetings and hear the criticism for himself. He then needs a clear out of all the deadwood directors and import some young dynamic architects from Fosters, Simpson's, Make or where ever.

They've had it too good for too long and have given up trying.

·
Registered
102 Posts
dgnr8 said:
The Park Lane Offices have nowt to do with Park Lane College don't they? Seeing as one's a college and t'other appears to be an out-and-out office block.
That would be correct. Everyone seems to associate the offices with the College. Just because they are over the road from it. In reality they are all offices as you can see the workers through the windows!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts