Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts
G

·
The Carlaw Living development consists of 130 high quality residential apartments arranged in 5 buildings framing a generous central courtyard. The project is located in a key city fringe location, adjacent to the Auckland Domain. The communal open spaces and landscaped corridors tie carefully into the character of the surrounding Domain and public reserves creating the setting of a residential village within a natural environment. The central courtyard doubles as a major metropolitan-scale common space for residents, as well as providing private garden space for podium level residents. Individual building entry spaces are located in highly visible locations addressing the central public open space. These locations are reinforced vertically with highly glazed circulation areas and stairwells, so that the life and activity of the building is clearly expressed.

Apartment planning is carefully zoned to ensure service spaces are located along the length of the corridor, and living areas and bedrooms are located along the highly glazed façade with excellent access to natural light and ventilation. Apartment plans are generously sized and all have access to large external living areas – either ground floor gardens or upper level balconies. Balcony and vertical circulation elements have been considered as architectural elements and are composed to provide a fine and varied vertical grain to the buildings – while the internal planning of the apartment buildings is regular and efficient, the balconies are manipulated to provide variation and movement across the facades. The combination of these elements ensure that each of the buildings has a high degree of articulation, creating depth and shadow together with a clear reading of human scale and proportion.

Selected balcony ‘frames’ are projected beyond the uniform height of the buildings to provide variation in the visible built skyline. Balustrading is carefully considered to balance the needs of outlook and privacy. The proposed development makes use of a restricted palette of high quality natural materials including stone, honed and off-form concrete, glass, and timber. These materials are sympathetic to the surrounding Domain context and are generally presented in their natural state. A natural weathering process is anticipated, resulting in a warm, tactile quality appropriate to a high quality residential environment.

·
If seagulls could talk...
700 Posts
This is great news! The development looks awesome for students, I bet it will be very popular.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
This should have been the site for a new stadium for RWC and beyond. Close to the CBD, on the rail line, would have regenerated the area and dealt with Eden Park issues once and for all.

On the bright side, the new use should mean more activity than just match days, had a stadium been put there. It's really going to ensure the new station is a success (even though it's in the wrong place). Interested to see how it links with the new station.

1,243 Posts
:eek:hno: Not pleased with that, much rather have seen the residential apartments being built.

I would prefer student accommodation somewhere along the western side of Stanley St.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I like it and I think that it's a great idea for the area, especially when you consider that it will be part and parcel of the new Parnell Train Station. I have always been a fan of colour blocking :cheers:

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
The old design was great. Warren & Mahoney - not so great.

Welcome to their world of tilt-slab
Its seems to be the same names over and over again. Which is probably why we keep on getting the same result.

I'm not an architect but it seems to be that the really innovative stuff is stand alone houses and very small commercial, and that goes to smaller, perhaps even one-man-band, firms. I'm not sure if its they who are pushing the envelope further, or as the size of the project increases, the owners appetite for something different decreases.....

·
Retired
1,222 Posts
Its seems to be the same names over and over again. Which is probably why we keep on getting the same result.

I'm not an architect but it seems to be that the really innovative stuff is stand alone houses and very small commercial, and that goes to smaller, perhaps even one-man-band, firms. I'm not sure if its they who are pushing the envelope further, or as the size of the project increases, the owners appetite for something different decreases.....
I must say Im the same.. there are a few exceptions to the rule however in the bigger stuff.. I guess of late however there really hasnt been that much happening and whatever has been has been on a shoestring...

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
My guess is that they've put some real thought into it.

The University article talking about the development refers to a "Link Lane" to the station, and the first two aerial shots in your link show a direct connection (marked "1") between the station and University, right through the development site (and the legend specifically mentions "through" the development site).

The second aerial mentiones a plaza and station entry ("3") on the development side of the tracks (not the station side) and the connection I referred to above passes right through that.

Sounds good so far.

EDIT: Actually, those plans are the councils, not the developers. Let's hope the latter gets on board.

·
Registered
63 Posts
This is an ideal area for the Student Accomadation, with the new Parnell Train Station opening, if/when the new campus opens in Newmarket, then the students can either work through the Domain and/or catch the train to Grafton Station

·
Registered
44 Posts
I scanned this image from the book that I have .... great integration between Carlaw Park and the new Parnell Train Station (overbridge and elevator on the right) ....
Looks amazing. If it ends up looking like that it will be a really great addition to the area.

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
Looks like a good use of the space and being students they are more likely to be coming and going at different hours during the day and evening and importantly to be high users of PT. I assume this is being built without any parking which is great as it will add to the success of the new Parnell station.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts