• 3 and below

Votes: 39 44.8%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Carlisle is a small city with about 75,000 inhabitants, located in northern Cumbria in the North-west of Enland, at the confluence of three rivers (the Eden, the Caldew and the Petteril), which made the city's population boom in the 19th century.
The tallest thing on the skyline is Dixon's chimney, which formerly reached to a height of about 320 feet, but which was reduced to 280 feet, because it was feared it may collapse on the houses below. Dixon's chimney is part of the Dixon's mill, much of which is currently unused, which is sad, as for a period in the 19th century Dixon's mill was the world's largest.
Carlisle's tallest building is the Civic centre, a creation of the 1960s, which in many people's eye is an ugly blot on the landscape (although without it, the skyline would be significantly reduced). The Civic Centre dominates Carlisle's skyline from many approaches (notably from the north on the A7, and from the east from the A69).

Dixon's chimney:

The two citadels:

The Civic centre:

Carlisle cathedral:

The Crescent:

The Castle:

Debenhams department store, Cumbria's largest shop (excluding supermarkets) - completed Autumn 2000:

Carlisle station:

What do you think?

:moods: :)

·
dE/dm
2,399 Posts
Not much of a skyline to comment on - there is only one highrise building with no 60's commie blocks anywhere to be seen. Not many cities can claim to have a castle, a cathedral and an office tower as part of thier skyline though.

·
Registered
9 Posts
ilike those churches....and towers....but i dont quite think they can be termed as a skyline ....so ....0 for skyline....4 for patriotism

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
To say there is no skyline isn't true - it may be small, but dominating features such as Dixon's chimney, the castle (as shown in the photo below) and the civic centre can be seen from all over the city, so surely they count as skyline :?

The castle as seen from the Bitts park tennis courts:

·
Registered
11,786 Posts
Yes it is obvious this nice is a sweet little place. But like everyone else, the skyline is non existant. ;) 4/10!

·
dE/dm
2,399 Posts
The government wants to relocate the environment agency headquarters from london to carlisle - so the city could see some huge new offices and possibly new accomodation for the workers.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
@ xapbpoh

That sounds interesting! I've never heard about that myself though... is it official? If it is there are numerous inner-city places for them to move too, and sites in industrial areas.
:)

·
I need to know...
1,840 Posts

Great work Labrador for introducing this city to us. Looks nice, but the skyline doesn't have too much height, or density in tall buildings. It gets point for well defined focal point (the Civic Centre). Needs to bulk up a bit and get a bit more density. Cheers ;)

·
Like 'Berg'
6,535 Posts
id admire your efforts for promoting your city..
but when the likes of major english cities like manchester and brum, leeds, liverpool, newcastle etc post on here and get slated, it was a very silly thing to try and rate carlisle..

looking at the first pic you could (being simon cowell-esque here) draw it with one line and a ruler, it is as flat as they get..
and one chimney stickin up isnt really a 'skyline' is it..i cant blame people for being so rude about it because as far as a rating, i would want -1 at least. it even tempts me to post pictures of wigan lol, that as at least 7 10floor+ buildings already, sorry mate
:dizzy:

1 - 20 of 70 Posts