Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Ampersands & What
7,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Developer: Ballymore

PA/12/00637: Redevelopment of the site to provide a residential led mixed use development, comprising the erection of part 5 to 22 storey buildings to provide 206 dwellings and 129 sqm (GIA) of new commercial floorspace falling within use class D1,

This managed to slip the net here, though hardly surprising considering how bland it is. The approved application is actually a scaled down amendment of the original proposal which had 25 stories. The planning docs are a little confusing as it's hard to ascertain to which application bits of it are referring to. Thus the height of 76m might actually refer to the previous 25 story proposal as this isn't clear in the documentation.

Carmen Street 14 by corerising, on Flickr

The approved proposal.

Carmen Street 13 by corerising, on Flickr

The old proposal for comparison.

Carmen Street 12 by corerising, on Flickr

The approved proposal.

Carmen Street 11 by corerising, on Flickr

Carmen Street 10 by corerising, on Flickr

The approved proposal.

Carmen Street 9 by corerising, on Flickr

Carmen Street 8 by corerising, on Flickr

The approved proposal.

Carmen Street 7 by corerising, on Flickr

Carmen Street 6 by corerising, on Flickr

Carmen Street 5 by corerising, on Flickr

The old proposal.

Carmen Street 4 by corerising, on Flickr

Carmen Street 3 by corerising, on Flickr

Carmen Street 2 by corerising, on Flickr

Carmen Street by corerising, on Flickr

·
Hello
1,704 Posts
I'm surprised Poplar hasn't got more developments considering its location so close to Canary Wharf. Does it looks like it could become an attractive location for developers? A new place of gentrification, some might say?!

·
Do A Little Dance
1,565 Posts
There has been plenty of development over the last 15 years or so in the areas along the route of the DLR, canal side leading up to Bromley by Bow. I wouldn't say it was gentrification more dormitory and social housing.

·
Registered
262 Posts
The area is highly concentrated with postwar social housing, and the main land owner is Poplar Housing and Regeneration Association (Poplar HARCA) (who are the only H.A who brand themselves that way that I'm aware of). I guess there isn't a lot of old (read Georgian/Victorian) housing stock or an old high street to be gentrified, though Harca are doing their bit by refurbishing and infilling in the estates, e.g having moved most of the current residents out they are prepping Goldfinger's Balfron Tower for a refurb and are going to sell the units on the private market to fund the building of more social housing. Crisp Street market area often has community events but I would be surprised if you would find a gastro pub or fancy deli in the area as it is now. I guess that leaves the main driver of new development/gentrification to spare intermittent sites like this for high density flats.

·
Ampersands & What
7,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm pretty sure ballymore are using this to dump most of the social housing for their arrowhead quay development.
Makes sense. Ballymore must have wanted to get the application through on this so they can start on arrowhead quay. It could well have been one of the conditions set by Tower Hamlets before they could start work there.

·
Ampersands & What
7,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I came across an interesting piece of information today. It has been agreed with Tower Hamlets that the affordable housing provision for Arrowhead Quay will be provided off site at Carmen Street AND London City Island, in the second phase of that development. (Referred to in the planning docs as Leimouth Peninsula North). This will require a reworking of the consented applications for the second phase of London City Island and Carmen Street, mostly through a reworking of the residential mix given the higher than consented element of affordable housing. Arrowhead Quay is now very much linked with the development at London City Island, as well as Carmen Street. I don't think this has resulted in any change to the consented Arrowhead scheme, allowing this to proceed as planned. I believe that the affordable housing element for Arrowhead Quay has now been agreed with Tower Hamlets, meaning there are no obstacles to the start of construction.

London City Island will see a reduction in the number of private unites on site, from up to 1126, to 922. Essentially about 80 one bed flats are being dropped, and replaced with larger two, three and four bed social housing units. The overall reduction in units will be from 1145 to 1085. In exchange, the number of social rented/ intermediate housing is increasing from 19 units to 163 units. This is still a very small percentage of the overall development, as I believe a section 106 agreement was signed for Ballymore to pay their way out of that provision initially. Block A will see a height increase of half a meter, and block M will see a height increase of 2.5 meters to help accommodate this.

Carmen Street is likewise having to take on more social housing units. This too is resulting in a net loss of units, down from 206 to 199. However the number of social housing/ intermediate units as a percentage is increasing from 27% to 76%. Only 24% of the development will be private units! I'm guessing that Ballymore originally tried to increase the scale of the Carmen Street development to fit all or most of the affordable housing element in there. However as this was scuppered by Tower Hamlets, they have begrudgingly agreed to fill the rest of the Arrowhead Quay affordable housing quota in London City Island.

Related planning docs if anyone really wants to have a look. There isn’t anything exciting in there.

Arrowhead Quay planning App. No.: PA/12/03315
London City Island Phase 2 planning App. No.: PA/14/02040
Carmen Street planning App. No.: PA/12/00637
Cross posting from the Arrowhead Quay thread

·
Ampersands & What
7,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This has now been sold by Ballymore to Telford Homes who will build it as as private rental scheme in partnership with M&G real estate. I wonder how this impacts on the affordable housing deal Ballymore agreed with Tower Hamlets as per my previous post on September 3rd 2014? The cynic in me is thinking this could be a way for Ballymore to build the Wardian towers whilst getting out of some of the affordable housing obligation (some is being provided as part of London City Island). Telford Homes aren't bound to the Wardain obligations, so could now try to submit a change of use application, to convert the planned affordable units in the Carmen Street tower into standard units. Tower Hamlets planning department need to keep an eye out for these sort of shenanigans.

·
Registered
5,203 Posts

·
Registered
9,661 Posts
This has now been sold by Ballymore to Telford Homes who will build it as as private rental scheme in partnership with M&G real estate. I wonder how this impacts on the affordable housing deal Ballymore agreed with Tower Hamlets as per my previous post on September 3rd 2014? The cynic in me is thinking this could be a way for Ballymore to build the Wardian towers whilst getting out of some of the affordable housing obligation (some is being provided as part of London City Island). Telford Homes aren't bound to the Wardain obligations, so could now try to submit a change of use application, to convert the planned affordable units in the Carmen Street tower into standard units. Tower Hamlets planning department need to keep an eye out for these sort of shenanigans.
Do Tower Hamlets really have the resources to deal with this given its cut in funding from central government.

Have you got in touch with them to raise this issue ?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts