SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
looks like an interesting place to spend a weekend or two. what's the significance of this city in terms of economy?

·
XPC Fagua chinanuca
6,584 Posts
TheTramp said:
looks like an interesting place to spend a weekend or two. what's the significance of this city in terms of economy?
Cartagena is Colombia's main turistic city, I dare to say that is the city's main activity...it's also home to one of the main seaports in the Altantic coast, home to a very important oil refinery, it's also the Colombian Navy Atlantic fleet headquarters, the only ship manufacturing companies are there... is quite important. At a Latin american level, it has lost some status, cities like Medellin and Cali, besides Bogotá are far more important, but we hope that Cartagena will return to its glorious days in a future.

·
Uncle Frank
17,522 Posts
Oh man, I love Cartagena. This is the most amazing city in the entire caribbean and I wouldn't dout it is the most historic.

With its castles, history, beautiful colonial architecture and now with all the spectacular resorts this is a destination you cannot miss.

Nice pics, thanks for sharing.

:)

·
Registered
736 Posts
Your are right, Cartagena is a place that anyone could fall in love with.

This city offers the best of both worlds: a great skyline, which will soon include Colombia's tallest building with 58 stories and 206 meters in height (some 600 ft), and the most number of floors for any latin American skyscraper. There are also serveral other projects ranging from 100m to 140m or so.

In contrast, its old district is a colonial jewell. Cartagena's San Felipe De Barajas fortress is the largest and most massive fortress ever built by the Spaniards in the American continent. And I love watching the increasing number of cruiseships stoping by Cartagena; something that no one would have imagined in such scale during the past.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts