SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
5,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Couldn't find a thread for this. Looks like Salford University are stepping up efforts to develop this massive site. DAY Architectural are drawing up the plans.

18/71448/SCO | Request for scoping opinion at Former Castle Irwell Student Village | Site Of Former Castle Irwell Student Village Cromwell Road Salford M6 6DB
This Environment Impact Assessment (“EIA”) Scoping Report has been prepared on behalf of our client, the University of Salford, in support of their emerging proposals for the redevelopment of the former Castle Irwell student campus in Charlestown, Salford (the “Site”).

1.2 The forthcoming planning application to which this Scoping Report relates will seek outline planning permission for up to 500 residential units (Use Class C3), along with up to 25,000 sqft (2,323 sqm) of retail floorspace (Use Classes A1 to A5). In addition, up to 2 no. hectares of the Site are to be designated for future school provision (Use Class D1). The proposals will also allow for areas of open space and landscaping. Further details of the proposals are provided within Chapter 3.

1.3 When describing or referring to the proposals within this report, the term “Proposed Development” will be used, and is deemed to include all stages of construction and the operation of the development.

1.4 The purpose of this Scoping Report is to assist the Local Planning Authority (“LPA”) with the adoption of a Scoping Opinion under Regulation 15 of The Town and Country Planning (Environmental Impact Assessment) Regulations 2017 (the “EIA Regulations”).

1.5 The EIA process seeks to protect the environment by ensuring that a LPA, when deciding whether to grant planning permission for a development which is likely to have significant effects on the environment, does so in the full knowledge of the likely significant effects, and takes this into account in the decision-making process.

1.6 The Regulations set out a procedure for identifying those projects which should be subject to an EIA, and for assessing, consulting and coming to a decision on those projects which are likely to have significant environmental effects.

1.7 The purpose of the EIA is to identify both the nature of the development and the environment within which it will take place in order to identify the likely significant environmental effects. This is undertaken by comparing the existing situation at the start of the work (baseline) with the situation once the proposals are in place.

1.8 The EIA Regulations 2017 require that any proposed development falling within the description of a ‘Schedule 2 development’ (as defined by the EIA Regulations), will be subject to an EIA where such development is likely to have ‘significant’ effects on the environment by virtue of such factors as its nature, size or location (Regulation 2(b)).

1.9 The Proposed Development falls under the category of “Infrastructure Projects – Urban Development Projects” (Schedule 2, 10. (b)) as described in the Regulations. The applicable threshold above which EIA is likely to be required is 5 hectares (ha) or the development includes more than 150 dwellings.

1.10 The Site covers an area of approximately 14.48 hectares, which is above the indicative applicable threshold of 5 hectares; in addition, up to 500 new residential units are proposed.

1.11 Regulation 6 of the 2017 EIA Regulations makes provision for a developer to request a ‘Screening Opinion’ from the LPA to ascertain whether an EIA is required if a development is classed as a Schedule 2 development. This decision is based on the likelihood of significant environmental effects arising in relation to the development proposals.

·
Registered
5,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks RalphGuy. Public consultation next week. Any Salfordians in the area?

The former Castle Irwell student village in Salford could be transformed into homes and retail space if new plans are approved.

A planning application is being prepared to redevelop the site into as many as 500 family homes, riverfront apartments and shops.

Castle Irwell, owned by the University of Salford, closed its doors in June 2015.

The proposals will also set land aside for a primary school and changing facilities for new playing fields on the site.

It is estimated that the scheme could create more than 100 retail jobs, potentially boosting the local economy by nearly £5m a year.

The retail element could likewise generate around £140k annually in business rates for Salford City Council to use to support services.

Cheadle Hulme-based consultancy Euan Kellie Property Solutions is bringing the plans forward.

Euan Kellie, director at the firm, said: “Castle Irwell [is] a site with a rich local history and close to many people’s hearts.

“Our plans will provide family homes and new shops for the local area, as well as a new primary school that will help address known capacity challenges across the city.”

He added: “Before we submit our plans to Salford City Council, we want to hear the views of local people, which will be fed into our final proposals.”

A public consultation is now underway, with a drop-in exhibition taking place at The Beacon Centre on London Street this Monday (March 26) from 2pm to 7pm.

The scheme will also have its own website, at Castleirwell.co.uk.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Castle Irwell...Good news !..Anything that brings more homes into the housing stock and more people...Primary schools in Broughton/Kersal/Pendlebury are already FULL..New capacity is needed.

·
Registered
5,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The site is up. Here is a breakdown of the area. That is lot of riverside apartments.

They also want to refurbish the gateway building for retail.

·
11,937 Posts
What do they mean by sacrificial ground floor?

I'm guessing that No 2 refers to the parcel it's in and the three adjoining orange parcels whilst No 3 refers to the parcel it's in and the two adjoining orange parcels. Is that correct?

Good to see existing buildings being retained where possible. Has anybody got any photos of the existing buildings other than the one above please?

·
Registered
5,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What do they mean by sacrificial ground floor?

I'm guessing that No 2 refers to the parcel it's in and the three adjoining orange parcels whilst No 3 refers to the parcel it's in and the two adjoining orange parcels. Is that correct?

Good to see existing buildings being retained where possible. Has anybody got any photos of the existing buildings other than the one above please?
The one above is the only one being retained. All others are going.

I thought the very same thing about "sacrificial ground floor". I can only assume that means they are sacrificing the ground floor too accommodate the undercroft parking?

I think these were always going to be fairly low density given where they are. I wasn't expecting another Adelphi Wharf. We can probably expect to see something similar to to Project 3's Lower Broughton Flats which are on the opposite side of the river.

·
11,937 Posts
The one above is the only one being retained. All others are going.

I thought the very same thing about "sacrificial ground floor". I can only assume that means they are sacrificing the ground floor too accommodate the undercroft parking?

I think these were always going to be fairly low density given where they are. I wasn't expecting another Adelphi Wharf. We can probably expect to see something similar to to Project 3's Lower Broughton Flats which are on the opposite side of the river.

That was my guess to.

Are the other retained buildings in such a poor state that they can't be kept?

I'm not surprised by the mix of densities on the site. Looking at the aerial view,it's not the right location for high density.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Regarding sacrificial ground floor construction, it's where whatever is built in the ground floor would be sacrificed in a flood. As the area is prone to flooding, residential use is not allowed. A look at the website posted on a different thread about Kersal Flats has pictures of the adjacent area under water. Those flats were also built with no residential on the ground floor, unusual for council flats of the time. http://www.kersalflats.co.uk I recommend you mute the sound...it's awful.

From the web.... In the UK we tend to built ‘sacrificial ground floors’ with dwellings above a ground floor car park, which can store water in the event of floods without damage to the properties at high level.

·
Read Only
5 Posts
Planning docs in.

18/71890/OUTEIA | Outline planning application for a residential-led development including up to 500 dwellings (Use Class C3), up to 25,000 sqft of commercial floorspace (Use Classes A1, A2, A3, A4, A5, B1 and D1), land reserved for school (Use Class D1) and other associated works, with all matters reserved except for access off Cromwell Road (A576) and Littleton Road. | Former Castle Irwell Student Village Cromwell Road Salford M6 6DB

·
Registered
404 Posts
Anyone else seeing this having new posts then clicking on and it only having post up to March 26th?

Edit: I've just posted and its skipped post 21.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts