Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered Abuser
2,904 Posts
So, how do you pronounce it? Oh and :applause: x100.

·
All the way with PJK
921 Posts
Beautiful, Collector!

A bit sad to think that in the early days of our bigger cities that there were gems like 'The Imperial Hotel' and 'The Empyre' built that are now replaced with soulless lobbies of bland office and apartment blocks, inevitable as that was.

But I suppose it makes these little towns all the more interesting to visit. Well done!

·
Registered
77,309 Posts

·
Registered
5,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Beautiful, Collector!

A bit sad to think that in the early days of our bigger cities that there were gems like 'The Imperial Hotel' and 'The Empyre' built that are now replaced with soulless lobbies of bland office and apartment blocks, inevitable as that was.

But I suppose it makes these little towns all the more interesting to visit. Well done!
We stayed in The Empyre while we were there, and I can honestly say it was one of our best hotel experiences ever!! :yes:
The place is fully restored and has the best restaurant in that town. :cheers:
Castlemaine is always a joy to visit! :)

·
Oh ma Lordee, lookee here
1,734 Posts
Collector, yet again, you have made my day. I hardly know what to say. I grew up in this town - have a 1860 miner's cottage up that way still. Relos, known and unknown, all over the area. Everyone of these places in your pictures is as familiar to me as my own street in Melbourne.

Did you know that the famous, National Trust-listed market building once had two equal wings, one reaching out into what is now Victory Park, and other into what became the High School grounds, now the big supermarket behind the old High School facade ?

That was long before my time, but I do remember produce and poultry being sold off ramps that extended out from the side arches. On Christmas Eve, the town used to gather around the steps there for carols, and every kid got an orange and pack of sweets off the back of an Apex or something truck from the town's Father Christmas.

I'd told my (overseas) wife all about this 'huge' building for years before I brought her back here. Now seems quite small. She still laughs at me about it.

Incredibily, there was quite a serious move to pull the last main building down some time around the 1960s. But Castlemaine has really come on now, as a regional centre of the arts - one of the best regional galleries and museums in the State - and its fashionable now, like Daylesford with coffee shops and cafes. Many talented people, but also lots of the old type folks still live there. Good blend. The Theatre Royal is Australia's oldest - you can have a meal at table there, while watching a film.

Suveyor William Downe laid it out when Castlemaine was vying with Bendigo in its ambitions to become Victoria's capital, just after the goldrush. With the wonderful old colonial banks and hotels gathered around Victory Square, I later thought it was somehow reminiscent of a traditional town in the American South - but better. It's one of Australia's gems.

Anyway, enough. I'll bring back some old town photos next time I go up to the shack, and post. Now I want to enjoy your pictures.

I'll just add this. Christmas morning in Castlemaine, c1950 ...even then, other country kids used to say that oddball in jodphurs on the left was always using 'big words' - must have swallowed a dictionary.
cheers, Bronte

·
Banned
1,717 Posts
Beautiful Victoria town' like many others.

Does anyone have an old pic of the market?

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Just fantastic to see this loverly old gold rush town again
I was there a couple of years ago and the old theatre had been restored - did you get a picture of that as well?

·
Lake Garda
70 Posts
Always a pleasure to come to the Oz forum and see a a thread started by 'The Collector'. You know its going to be good.

·
Registered
5,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was there a couple of years ago and the old theatre had been restored - did you get a picture of that as well?
The theatre will have to wait until my next visit, the lighting was wrong last time I was there (gives me a reason to go again). :lol:

Thanks for the comments everyone! :)

·
1,734 Posts
Yes, you're a classic, Collector. This is just a tiny photo I found that illustrates my point about the market building
(so nearly demolished in the 1960s), once having two more wings. Guess you'll need to zoom to see it. I think I have some better shots up there somewhere.

And a shot of the Theatre Royal, as requested. Went to many a matinee there. Opened 153 years ago (1854) and a bright spot in the town still. Obviously got a new art deco facade at some point - I don't know when. Another feature of Castlemaine, which you can just see here, is its very wide granite street
guttering, and curved cross-overs. The old buildings have lots of cellars, which must have been prone to occasional flash flooding.

One extended cellar well worth seeing is the Heron Galleries, right in town, up the same street as the theatre, other side.

·
1,734 Posts
a few more. The Presbyterian Church again ... is this eccentric or what?

rear of the market building, of which there was once an axis of three. The arches once had ramps from which produce, poultry etc were sold:

Interior of the Market Building, which is a Visitors Centre now : The tall white cone thing up left is an old diving bell made in Thompson's Foundry, which produced a lot of railway rolling stock: still operates

There's quite an extensive collection in the Art Gallery, and a good museum in the basement level:

Lots of mining relics in the bush around town, mostly mouldering: but this is the restored Duke of Cornwall quartz battery on the Chewton-Fryerstown Road nearby. Dammit, Mrs Bronte's getting chubby. Huge. Laughing at me again. We've just been to the 'huge' frigging Castlemaine Market building , you see.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
"Here's that deep granite street guttering I was talking about. I'm sure that's what you want to look at:
Collector - you're attracting an international audience. It's time to do Maldon!"

And how about the other fabulous old gold town of Clunes where James Esmonde it is claimed found the first major discovery of gold in Victoria.?

·
Developer
7,685 Posts

The Castlemaine Market originally contained 22 shops for the sale of local fresh foods and products. It was one of three market buildings arranged geometrically around an arcaded water tank built over the town well in Market Square, in the centre of Castlemaine, one of the premier mid 19th century gold rush towns of the Central Victorian Goldfields. The two earliest red brick market buildings, known as East and West Markets, were erected in 1858 to the design of Edmund Spencer, the town surveyor. In1861/2 an imposing North Market, the present Classical Revival building, was designed by the town surveyor, William Beynon Downe. The inspiration for the design has been attributed to works by British classical architect and surveyor general, Sir Christopher Wren (1632-1732) and Charles Fowler (1791-1867), noted for his mid 19th classical styled market designs in England.

During successive decades Market Square was beautified but the First World War brought a change in economic and social direction to the town. The East and West Market buildings were demolished in 1918 and 1919, respectively, to make way for a new high school, now recycled as part of Coles supermarket; the Return Soldiers League Club rooms, a memorial garden, Victory Park and War Memorial were established in the square to the west of the market building. Coinciding with the Second World War, the 1865 palms trees were replaced with Lombardy poplars. In response to community outcry over plans for construction of a State Electricity Commission substation on the North Market site, the National Trust listed the building in 1959; and when market trading ceased in 1967 the building was acquired by the National Trust in a deteriorated condition. Subsequently restored in 2000 the building was leased to Mount Alexander Shire Council for use as a Tourist Information Centre and focus for the Mount Alexander Diggings Trail, a guide to the Central Victorian Goldfields.

·
Registered Melbourne
4,166 Posts
Great photos indeed!

you missed out the railway station ... the steam train to Maldon.

Waiting for my train to Bendigo/ Eaglehawk ...

After getting off the bus from Ballarat and Daylesford.

Actually my last visit took in just the station and a view across the car-park ...

Incedentally, it's claimed above that it's pronounced "Carstlemaine". My family has had significant links with this city, including a few people living in or around the town, but it's always been just "Casstlemaine" to us.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts