SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
Medininkai castle is being rebuilt. Slow but steadily.

Photos made by Zorro from miestai.net forum.

·
Registered
7,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They promised to rebuild in 2009 (It would be nice to restore all the locks of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania to attract tourists to the country. Belarusians newly restored Leeds Castle

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Project to restore the Vilnius Castle
This is just a model of how it once looked like. There are no immediate plans to fully restore the upper castle, or the entire lower one (Except for the Royal palace which is being rebuilt as we speak)

However, there are plans to fully restore Memelburg in Klaipeda,

as well as plans to renovate the magnificent baroque Sapieha palace and it's baroque park in Vilnius

The park gates were already restored early this year

Biržų castle should be fully restored as well. At the moment, the arsenal is being rebuilt.

And then there's the beautiful Užutrakis Manor.

It is located on the north-eastern shore/peninsula of lake Galve - a kilometre away from Trakai island castle and is part of the Trakai Historic National park.

It has a lovely, 19th century, 80ha park, designed by Edouard Andre

The park was closed for visitors for most part this year - ponds and lakes were being re-dug (park had 20 of them).

Sculptures were restored a year or so ago.

Interior gets some attention as well. The dining hall - before and after.

All in all, it should look stunning when finished. The meetings of heads of states of EU are planned to be held here in 2013, when Lithuania will hold the presidency of EU.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
What do you think about Trakai castle?

I visited overthere once time in 2009.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Medininkai castle - near current Belarus border, one of a lot of castles of Grand Duchy of Lithuania (but just a few left in current territory of Lithuania)

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Trakai castle One of the manor castle of Grand Duchy of Lithuania

·
Registered
27,420 Posts
Beautiful castles.

You know guys, today I watched for the first time photos from Lituania and had a strange feeling, that Lituanians are very close to Romanians as a people, closer than any other. Untill now I was thinking this about Bulgarians or Albanians. Could this be because you have some close feelings toward Romanians? I know there are some cultural, maybe even genetic relations between us, as for example the Doina / Daina type of song and the fact that Dacians were speaking a language close to the Baltic languages (although I don't know if there is a significant Dacian heritage in Romanians, we're very mixed people and our history before 1200 is almost unknown).

Reading about your country and hearing from people who visited the country, you're far more educated and civilized than Romanians, who I must say, unfortunately are on average hard supportable individuals. I will try to find more about your country because I know almost nothing.

Best regards!

·
¬¬
237 Posts
Some interesting thoughts there. Never really thought about it, and having never been to Romania I can only judge from the people I have come to know that come from there. Yes actually - in communicating with them and in general found it really easy going, just like they were my own folk!

·
shaman is back
652 Posts
Beautiful castles.

You know guys, today I watched for the first time photos from Lituania and had a strange feeling, that Lituanians are very close to Romanians as a people, closer than any other. Untill now I was thinking this about Bulgarians or Albanians. Could this be because you have some close feelings toward Romanians? I know there are some cultural, maybe even genetic relations between us, as for example the Doina / Daina type of song and the fact that Dacians were speaking a language close to the Baltic languages (although I don't know if there is a significant Dacian heritage in Romanians, we're very mixed people and our history before 1200 is almost unknown).

Reading about your country and hearing from people who visited the country, you're far more educated and civilized than Romanians, who I must say, unfortunately are on average hard supportable individuals. I will try to find more about your country because I know almost nothing.

Best regards!
Never been to Romania, but I was working a lot with a gang of developers from Cluj Napoca. I must say that these guys were fantastic. They were the most professional, dedicated and friendly bunch of people. I am very happy that I had a chance to know them.

·
Banned
1,332 Posts
Norviliškės small noble fortified castle. Belongs to a rare type of a castle.

wiki

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/444860128/

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/57294223

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/5630330

Later castle was transferred to the monks.

This castle is situated in the region, from where it is believed Lithuanian state began to develop, where the cradle of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania was.
This region preserved pre-feudal and early-feudal structures of villages and settlements, what is quite distinctive thing in Europe, only could be
found just in very few places on the continent.

Today this place is interesting as the castle is right on the border with Belarus, in Lithuanian enclave, what is from all sides surrounded by
Belarussian territory, conected with Lithuania only through narrow 3 km wide strip! :)
The castle is accessible through Dieveniškės town. From it's main square 6 roads run in various directions, five of them leading to Belarussian territories
and border of the EU (one of them leads to the castle) and only one- to the "Great Lithuania". Castle is situated only some km from Гольшаны/Alšėnai/Halshany
castle ruins. Currently the largest festival in the Baltics is taking place near the castle every summer- Be2gether :)

http://geosite.jankrogh.com/borders/bylt_fence_ends.htm

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/48041255

http://visitlithuania.net/index.php...iskes-castle.html?site_id=conferencelithuania
Unique, authentically restored Renaissance castle of Norviliskes shines like a diamond in the crown of Lithuanian castles. Once forgotten majestic
building was raised to live a new life. The castle, gate tower and defensive tower formed typical defensive system with a compact yard in the
centre, once. It is a rare example of such Renaissance complex not only in Lithuania, but in the whole Europe.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts