Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 577 Posts

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here we go!

This thread is for those who would like to discuss about off topic matters or those who would like to ask something about our three beautiful countries (Czech republic, Hungary and Slovakia).

Do not be shy and post here anything from a wide range of your thoughts or ideas.

Please do not forget to act within the limits of your inteligence and common sense in this thread and do not anybody allow to break them!

Hope you will enjoy your stay! :)

·
Banned
29,118 Posts
Considering how unusual Hungarian language is, I assume that everyone studies foreign languages there more than usually in other countries?

·
Some user
613 Posts
We happen to be the second worst european country when studying foreign languages... after the U.K.

It is not unusual, for example, that Hungarians living in Romania cannot speak Romanian.

All Hungarian forumers you meet are an exception to that rule... this is fairly obvious. :)

-Ataman

·
Banned
29,118 Posts
Wow, so you're like Russians in this respect

·
Registered
436 Posts
I don't know... There are those statistics (never trust one :) ) which say we are the worst in regards of knowing languages but I don't think that's true. Most young Hungarians learn languages in schools because it's compulsory and I'm sure they know how to say some sentences in English or German... Maybe they are not experts on languages but they can surely communicate on a simple level.
And if somebody asks Hungarians about their knowledge of a language most people is uncertain about his/her language skills and they might say they don't really know any languages because of that.

·
Banned
2,580 Posts
We happen to be the second worst european country when studying foreign languages... after the U.K.
? I was told that Hungarians are very strong when learning other languages, especially english (we had even examples in our textbook!)! Somebody said that they are equipped well. Also when I visited Balaton region in 2004 (Zalakaros spa - Heviz, Zalaegerszeg, Budapest, ... - nice places), nearly everybody has spoken german here! (I don't - moi je prefere francaise et italien de allemand). As I saw, lot of german tourists were there..

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
soo you now 100 Russians from 146 milions hahaha you made my day :lol:
Well, Marek, be honest how many Slovaks do speak English or any other language fluently (Excluding Czech ;))? How many of the people here can say that they can speak fluently? I wish I could speak like that!
It´s true that we have to learn at least one foreign language at basic or high school but it doesn´t mean that everybody can speak properly.

·
PortalIQue
423 Posts
soo you now 100 Russians from 146 milions hahaha you made my day :lol:
I am happy to have made your day without writing the above mentioned (exempli gratia something about 100 Russians I am supposed to know).

Nevertheless, how many languages can you speak, and how many of them fluently (including Czech)?

·
Some user
613 Posts
I can only speak english and german, but my english is lot better... :lol:
Same here... although I am one-fourth Russian, I cannot make out a single sentence in any Slavic language, let alone Russian.

I am hoping I could master a few more languages (Swedish, French, Russian) in my lifetime, but it's really hard.

I still have trouble with German grammar and vocabulary, although I was born there (in München), and could speak the language with no accent, something the rest of my family have a hard time doing. :bash:

You Czechs! What do You think of the US Missile Shield?
Although I am not Czech, I really hope the Shield will never get built. They wanted to do something near Pécs, is that right?

-Ataman

·
25,579 Posts
Although I am not Czech, I really hope the Shield will never get built. They wanted to do something near Pécs, is that right?

-Ataman
Actually the Missile shield will be built. The main question is the European part. The plan: Missile silos would be built in Poland and a huge radar in the Czech Republic. As I see the polish people are more forhtcoming then our Czech friends... Although they would "only" have to allow a radar dome...
In some place I could understand the poles... They got does F-16s pretty cheap... :lol:

The situation with Pécs (Tubes hill) is totally different. Hugh... i'll try to explaine... When we entered NATO, we agreed on that the Hungarian Air Force will switch its radar system to a much more modern that fits the 3D NATO regulations, so we can properly join the organic NATO air defense system... As far as I know, but I'm not an expert we need at least 3 radar domes to make a proper 3D coverage and to cover the whole country... (Like for Your GPS, You need minimum 3 satellites to have it work properly.) We have to put that damn third (at Békéscsaba and Bankút we already built the new radar dome) radardome somewhere... BTW, You know that there is a military base on the Tubes today with a very old radar that is much more dangerous than the new italian Alenia's.

·
Banned
2,980 Posts
You Czechs! What do You think of the US Missile Shield?
According to polls, about 75% ppl are against it. But we have fascist government which is not interested in ppls opinion at all and they are probably about to force it through. :bash:

·
Registered
692 Posts
Considering how unusual Hungarian language is, I assume that everyone studies foreign languages there more than usually in other countries?
I think Hungarian is much easier, than for example Polish. The grammar is very logical (vowel harmony), there s no genders and almost no tenses. The main problem is vocabulary which sometimes is very hard to accroach.

·
14,962 Posts
I think Hungarian is much easier, than for example Polish. The grammar is very logical (vowel harmony), there s no genders and almost no tenses. The main problem is vocabulary which sometimes is very hard to accroach.
Until I got to know some elements of Polish grammar I thought Slovak language has the most difficult grammar, but Polish grammar is for me simply unbelivable and incomprehensible.

Hungarian language is for me like from another planet. Maybe it has simply grammar (although I heard in Hungarian the prepositions are after the word) but its biggest problem is it's not Indoeuropean language so Hungarian words and especialy Hungarian accent sounds to other Europeans a bit weird.

1 - 20 of 577 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.