SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Or is it?
10,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning on visiting Seattle in October and I would like to ride on a ferry casually... (pretty much I don't want it to be a guided tour kind of thing), is there a specific one that I can take that takes me to some place worth going to for an hour or so and back?

Thank you.

·
12,101 Posts
I'm planning on visiting Seattle in October and I would like to ride on a ferry casually... (pretty much I don't want it to be a guided tour kind of thing), is there a specific one that I can take that takes me to some place worth going to for an hour or so and back?

Thank you.
Either Bainbridge or Bremerton. No tours; they're just working ferries, but with great views. They both leave from downtown Seattle. Bainbridge is more interesting as a place to walk around for a couple of hours before heading back.

·
10,237 Posts
If you only want a half-hour each way trip, take the Bainbridge ferry. If you want an hour each way trip, take Bremerton.

Keep in mind they do not let you stay on the ferry when it arrives at the destination. Once you get at the other end, you have to kill some time to wait for the next departing one, unless you can sneak onto the line waiting to go the other way.

·
12,101 Posts
If you only want a half-hour each way trip, take the Bainbridge ferry. If you want an hour each way trip, take Bremerton.

Keep in mind they do not let you stay on the ferry when it arrives at the destination. Once you get at the other end, you have to kill some time to wait for the next departing one, unless you can sneak onto the line waiting to go the other way.
Actually -- and I say this with the greatest of respect to Bond -- it's not a problem coming back on the same ferry. You just get off and then get back on again with everyone else. You don't have to sneak.

That said, particularly going to Bainbridge, it'd be silly to come right back; it's way worth it to spend a couple of hours wandering around the town.

Also, you only pay on the way over (either to Bainbridge or to Bremerton); you don't pay on the way back (this is assuming you're walking on; unless you're headed somewhere else after you arrive at Bainbridge or Bremerton, it'd be lunacy to drive on).

·
Journeyman
16,286 Posts
In addition to being a shorter trip, Bainbridge is a more pristine walk-around and coffee stop. A bit touristy.

Bremerton is a full hour each way, but much more scenic, through waterways vs. only open water. It's a much bigger town. Nice along the waterfront, poor inland, with a limited downtown. Massive Navy presence including a ship you can tour plus a small museum. The Puget Sound Naval Shipyard is about 100 yards from the ferry terminal.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
You can also take the Victoria Clipper up to the San Juan's, but that is much more expensive and probably more of a long day trip.

(Holy shit, is that an ICQ icon?)

·
Registered
205 Posts
When you get off the Bainbridge Ferry just walk up to the first main intersection , turn left and walk into town. Theres a good place for breakfast soon on your left called the 'Beeliner'(?) Theres a great bakery for bkfst and lunch called Blackbird, and Marche' is a destination restaurant, with all locally sourced fish, meat and produce open for lunch and dinner. There's also good bookstore in town and a gallery next to it featuring Northwest artists.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Sometimes we'd take the car on the Bainbridge Ferry and visit Poulsbo. Yes even more touristy, but at least not Ride-the-Ducks kind of touristy.

·
Registered
14,300 Posts
Poultsbo I does have its charm. In another thread we were talking about doughnuts. Poulsbo has a great bakery downtown with a bit of everything. All served with a certain Scandinavian aloofness that we've grown to know and love in the northwest.

·
Transit Photographer
3,217 Posts
If you want more views of the Puget Sound, I recommend taking the Sounder from Seattle to Everett during the afternoon commute. An hour-long ride that has spectacular views of the sound and its islands, and two of the other Puget Sound ferries departing from Edmonds and Mukilteo, from a double-decked train car.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Actually "Streamliner."

Beeliner was a short-lived, but much-missed place from a decade or two ago on 45th in Wallingford.
Thanks...I knew it was some kind of 'liner'
The old Beeliner on 45th is now a great Mexican walkup called TNT Taqueria. I eat there often because its in my hood'.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I did a day trip to Orcas Island today. My parents had just gotten into town yesterday and so they were still on CDT and able to drive at 5:15 am. We caught the 7:25 ferry out of Anacortes, hiked Mount Constitution, got early dinner in Eastsound, and took the 5:20 ferry back. I'm pretty exhausted and not sure I'd do it that way again, but it can work if you have limited time (and/or not want to spend money on lodging).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts