SkyscraperCity banner

:)

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
9,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started in 1402, Seville's cathedral is the largest Gothic structure in the world, and the the third largest cathedral in all of christianity, occupying 22.720 square meters. It was built on top of an old huge mosque. At the beginning of construction, they were heard to say: “Let us build so great a church that any who did see the finished result should think us mad.”

External pics

Main facade: Bautismo, Nacimiento and Mayor gates

Orangetree's courtyard and Concepcion Gate, this is the courtyard of the old mosque that has been conserved.

Principe Gate

General view

Renacentist facade

Campanilleros Gate

Giralda Tower, 97'5 meter-tall. The conserved minaret of the old mosque with a renacentist belfry. It's the symbol of the city.

Palos Gate

Inside

The cathedral is 55 meter-tall

Cristopher Colombus tomb

Royal Chapel

Altarpiece, 18 meter-tall

Renacentist sector

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
cathedralicious! 9.5/10
lovely place. except that altarpiece is messy-looking (perhaps im biased by the altarpiece in my church;))

·
Registered
206 Posts
having been there, i can say that this is one GINORMOUS building!!!! it isnt the most organized looking cathedral but it sure is impressive. And the Giralda is considered to be the most beautiful tower in the history of engineering.

·
Registered
60 Posts
This one is 9,5. The stone work on the cathedral is very nice with the religious statues. Very nice looking religious building. It could be repainted though.

·
Banned
5,987 Posts
stormyouss said:
6/10 it's very beautiful but they construct it with the help of the previous mosquee, so it was easiest to construct it
:weirdo:

They completely leveled the old mosque, unfortunately. The only structure conserved was the bell tower that used to be a minaret for the old mosque. Everything else was built from scratch.

·
¡Viva el metro!
DavoR
38,367 Posts
9.50/10
:happy:

·
Registered
710 Posts
DonQui said:
They completely leveled the old mosque, unfortunately. The only structure conserved was the bell tower that used to be a minaret for the old mosque. Everything else was built from scratch.
I personaly have never liked when people ruin a religious biulding to biult another on it. Therefor I only give 7/10 since those who biult it sure were mad.

·
Endorsed by the NRA
SSC User of the Year 1987
25,008 Posts
I don't like all parts of it but it gets 10 points just because of the sheer size

·
Registered
5,531 Posts
This Cathedral overwhelmed me when I visit it years ago. The rederos and some of the polychrome marble (on the floor around the hight altar, is it?) impressed me a lot.

There are multiple styles that both please and clash, IMO. The whole is very impressive nonetheless.

9 or 9.5

1 - 20 of 52 Posts