SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 560 Posts

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Cathedral of St.Jacob in Sibenik/Croatia

Brief Description

The Cathedral of St James in Šibenik (1431-1535), on the Dalmatian coast, bears witness to the considerable exchanges in the field of monumental arts between Northern Italy, Dalmatia and Tuscany in the 15th and 16th centuries. The three architects who succeeded one another in the construction of the Cathedral - Francesco di Giacomo, Georgius Mathei Dalmaticus and Niccolò di Giovanni Fiorentino - developed a structure built entirely from stone and using unique construction techniques for the vaulting
and the dome of the Cathedral. The form and the decorative elements of the Cathedral, such as a remarkable frieze decorated with 71 sculptured faces of men, women, and children, also illustrate the successful fusion of Gothic and Renaissance art.

Justification for Inscription

Criterion i The structural characteristics of the Cathedral of St James in Šibenik make it a unique and outstanding building in which Gothic and Renaissance forms have been successfully blended. Criterion ii The Cathedral of St James is the fruitful outcome of considerable interchanges of influences between the three culturally different regions of Northern Italy, Dalmatia, and Tuscany in the 15th and 16th centuries. These interchanges created the conditions for unique and outstanding solutions to the technical and structural problems of constructing the cathedral vaulting and dome. Criterion iv The Cathedral of St James in Šibenik is a unique testimony to the transition from the Gothic to the Renaissance period in church architecture.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Egal... ob Kathedrale oder Kirche... wenn Du meinst sie ist es wert hier gepostet zu werden dann nur zu :)

·
Registered
17,894 Posts
St. Anton Church, Istanbul

St. Anton Church was built by the architects Mongeri and Eduardo de Nari in 1913 in Istanbul. It's still one of the biggest churches in Turkey. Though the church was built in neo-classic-style, it's precisley Venetian style. It was the first time in in 1976 when christians prayed in Turkish language.

·
Divemaster!
6,680 Posts
IMO, one of, if not The best cathedral in the world, St pauls Cathedral in London:

And another great cathedral in england, Canterbury Cathedral:

·
Super Moderator
15,463 Posts
Some more British Cathedrals

York

Salisbury

Lincoln

Wells

Durham

Norwich

Ely

Liverpool, Anglican & Catholic

Birmingham

·
Resurrected
18,550 Posts
English cathedrals are the best in the world (apart from Kölner Dom) - I think I visited all of them posted. Canterbury and York are best! :)

Most beautiful in my country:

Berner Münster

Einsiedeln Klosterkirche

Catedral St.Nicolas Fribourg

Basler Münster

St.Gallen Klosterkirche

St.Ursen Kathedrale Solothurn

Catedral Lausanne

·
Divemaster!
6,680 Posts
^^ That Cathedral Lausanne looks good, where abouts is it??

·
Banned
93 Posts
Lichen, Poland

One of the greatest churches in the world

Some data:

kubatura - 300 000 m3
powierzchnia - 23 000 m2
długość - 139 m (!!!)
szerokość elewacji frontowej - 162 m (!!!)
szerokość nawy głównej z kaplicami bocznymi - 77 m
szerokość w osi transeptów - 144 m
wysokość transeptów - 33 m
wysokość nawy głównej - 44 m
wysokość absyd i kaplic - 17 m
wysokość krzyża części centralnej - 103,5 m (!!!)
wysokość krzyża dzwonnicy - 64,8 m
wysokość krzyża wieży - 141,5 m (!!!)

·
Resurrected
18,550 Posts
And you can see it from Miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiles because it's on a little hill and just the highest building by far in the area. I remember that I was driving towards the city in the evening once and the cathedral was shining like gold in the evening sun, dominating just everything. Sounds pathetic, but the church and architects were quite clever in showing their power :)

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Cathedral in Djakovo/Croatia

The Cathedral of Đakovo is the symbol of the town and the most important sacral object, not only of Đakovo but also of the whole region of Slavonia. The Cathedral was built 1866-1882 under Josip Juraj Strossmayer, then the bishop of the Đakovo and Srijem Catholic diocese. The landscaped park from the 19th century near the bishop's palace is a horticultural monument under special protection.

·
przestrzeń-ludzie-miasto
31,211 Posts
Krakow:
The Wawel Royal Cathedral of st. Waclav and Stanislaw:

The main city parish church-Virgin Mary Basilica:

1 - 20 of 560 Posts