Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 1193 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
thanks to Leo and his thought i am starting a new thread for rice belt region. Covering (Cuddalore,Chidambaram,Sirkazhi, Mayiladuthurai,Kumbakonam,
Thanjavur,Thiruvarur). Mainly for roads, railways, bridges etc.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The main highways (NH) thru this areas were :

1. NH 45 A : National Highway 45A runs from Villupuram eastward to Pondicherry and then runs along the Bay of Bengal south till it reaches Nagapattinam where it meets NH 67. The total length runs upto 190 km (120 mi).

2. NH 45C : National Highway 45C (NH 45C) connects Vikravandi and Thanjavur in Tamil Nadu, India. The total length of NH 45C is 159 km (99 mi).[1] State Highway 8 (SH 8) was converted as NH 45C.

3. NH 67 : National Highway 67 (NH 67) runs from Nagapattinam, a sea-side town in Tamil Nadu to Gundlupet in Karnataka near the intersection of National Highway 212.

4. NH 226 : National Highway 226 runs from Perambalur to Manamadurai in Tamil Nadu for a distance of 204 km (127 mi). It starts at NH 67 in Thanjavur and ends at NH 49 in Manamadurai.

5. NH 227 : National Highway 227 starts from NH 45 near to Coleroon river bridge in Trichy and runs northeast before it ends at Chidambaram in Tamil Nadu.

Off course we have several state highways running along the region. Most of these NH were two lane :eek:hno: and you would not get any feeling that it was NH.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the most important project the people were waiting are the byepass in Chidambaram,Sirkazhi. oh... it will cut the time to 1.30 mins during peak hour.

Chidambaram:

red one -> byepass, green one -> newly upgraded road to avoid bhuvanagiri(cuddalore to chidambaram).

Sirkazhi:

·
22,006 Posts
Good thread. It would be nice to see more interesting title than rice belt region.

My suggestion is - "Cauvery Delta Region - Project Updates" (Cuddalore, Nagai, Thanjai and Thiruvarur dt)

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
^^ +1 to change the name to Cauvery Delta Region.

There are huge investments coming in the form of the power projects, ports in this region... hopefully we will see some good updates...

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Nice thread..

Last week took a trip from Chennai to Kumbakonam. I took Tindivanam route to reach Kumbakonam. The road after Tindivanam Toll booth (45C) badly requires repair. Even though it is a NH but in reality it does not matches the standards. From Kumbakonam I took the Mayavaram(State Highway) then via ECR reached Chennai. Near Sirkazhi I came across Karaikal port highway not sure from where it starts and ends. This road was damn good. I think this one will boost a better road infra to the delta districts.

I thought the Chidambaram bypass was completed only few bits and pieces to be completed it saved me lot of time. If the bypass extended as shown in the above map(without touching Bhuvanagiri) lot of time can be saved.

This region holds a promise in industries like Agri, Food processing, Fisheries, Power(Neyveli, Cuddalore), Chemicals(Cuddalore) and Tourism. Still there is lot of scope.

This region being a major pilgrimage center for all region(Nagore, Velankanni and every town boasts beautiful temples), I felt really bad on seeing lot of beggars in front of every temple and one can see lots of huts. Still a long way to go in promoting the socio-economic condition of this region.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Diversion of Moffusil routes thru ECR to/from Chennai

thanks to Leo and his thought i am starting a new thread for rice belt region. Covering (Cuddalore,Chidambaram,Sirkazhi, Mayiladuthurai,Kumbakonam,
Thanjavur,Thiruvarur). Mainly for roads, railways, bridges etc.
Thanks for opening new thread for discussion for the development of Cauvery Delta Region.

My suggestion is that diversion of Moffusil buses (vice versa) travelling to coastal region districts of Kanyakurmari District, Thirunelveli District, Tuticorin District & Ramanathapuram District should use ECR route fully rather using the existing route going via Madurai and Tiruchi to ease bottleneck traffic congestion in & out of Chennai.

This will enable for better connectivity to major towns, to move safely,economically,comfortably and to will facilitate religious tourism.

This also providing an alternative route to reach the southern parts of the state.

This will definitely stimulate growth to overall development of the coastal belt & the backward areas.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Many captive projects are coming along the East coast between Cuddalore and Nagappatinam. Once these ports are active, the economy of this region is set to grow higher.

There are two new bridges coming up across Kollidam one near Kumbakonam and the other near Myladuthurai. These bridges will provide alternate link to northern region including Chennai.

Nic eto see a sepearate thread for this region

·
Registered
6,318 Posts
It was pending for so looonggg time.. finally i made it last week.. i planned to visit all three "Great living chola temples" which is part of UNESCO world heritage sites. Visited Tanjore Big temple and Gangaikondacholapuram an year back. Missed Airavateeswarar temple at dharasuram alone. But this time we specifically went to explore this temple... it was really a master piece... some of the pics are below..

Beautiful greeneries around the temple...

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
THANJAVUR: A 45-member cultural troupe from Malaysia will perform folk arts at Tamil University here on Thursday. The troupe, which will perform Karagam, Kavadi, Kummi, Poikkal Kuthirai, Kolattam , arrived here on Wednesday.

TN invitation

Briefing presspersons about the programmes, R.Muthu, Assistant Regional Director of Art and Culture; Sebastiar, Chairman of the troupe; Indran Saharan, an industrialist from Malaysia who accompanied the troupe said they had come from Malaysia on invitation from the Art and Culture department of Tamil Nadu.

The troupe is going to perform at Tamil University on Thursday, Kadambavanam resort in Madurai on December 19, Kanyakumari on December 21, Tiruchy on December 23 and Chennai on December 26.

Cultural exchange

“The programmes are organised under cultural exchange between two countries,” Muthu said.

Music programme

Besides dance programmes, there will be a music programme also by a Malaysian orchestra. “Malaysian Minister Datto Veerasingam and P.Mani, Commissiner of Art and Culture, Tamil Nadu Government has taken efforts for the cultural exchange programmes,” Muthu said.

Source : http://www.hindu.com/2010/12/16/stories/2010121654050300.htm

·
Krishna
8,000 Posts
Thanks for the nice photos of Darasuram temple

·
Krishna
8,000 Posts
I got to know from other blogs, that train services to velankanni may start soon before X-mas

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Fifth PCPIR to come up in Tamil Nadu

http://www.dnaindia.com/money/report_fifth-pcpir-to-come-up-in-tamil-nadu_1497149

The Union government will give its approval for the fifth Petroleum, Chemicals and Petrochemical Investment Region (PCPIR), one of the most ambitious and massive projects of the ministry of chemicals and fertilisers, in Cuddalore in Tamil Nadu in the next two to three months.

“Things are almost finalised and we are very close to notify Tamil Nadu for its first and the country’s fifth PCPIR within 2-3 months,” said M Raman, secretary, department of chemicals and petrochemicals, ministry of chemicals and fertilisers.

He was talking to newsmen at the sidelines of a seminar on the prevalent issues in the specialty chemical industry in India organised by the Confederation of Indian Industries (CII) on Thursday.

He said once the notification comes, companies can look forward to major investments and huge capacity expansions in the state, and enjoy several incentives.

PCPIR, a plan mooted by the the ministry of chemicals and fertilisers in January 2007 and approved by the Cabinet Committee of Economic Affairs (CCEA) in May 2007, is a policy aimed at promoting huge investments in the chemicals sector in the country and making it a prominent hub for both domestic and international players.

According to the ministry’s website, a PCPIR would be a specifically delineated investment region with an area of around 250 square kilometres planned for the establishment of manufacturing facilities for domestic and export-led production in petroleum, chemicals & petrochemicals, along with the associated services and infrastructure.

It would be a combination of production units, public utilities, logistics, environmental protection mechanisms, residential areas and administrative services. There will be a processing area, where the manufacturing facilities, along with associated logistics and other services, and required infrastructure will be located, and a non-processing area to include residential, commercial and other social and institutional infrastructure.

“Out of the total 250 square kilometres, around 100 square kilometres will be under processing areas, and the rest is left for other amenities. In this way, the displacement of people from the region are also minimised,” said Raman.

A typical PCPIR may also include one or more Special Economic Zones, industrial parks, Free Trade & Warehousing Zones, export oriented units or growth centres, duly notified under the relevant Central or state legislation or policy with all the benefits available under the relevant legislation or policy kept intact in these zones, the ministry website said.

Raman said out of the four PCPIRs so far notified by the government, the Dahej project in Gujarat has picked up
very fast and some huge investments have already been committed. “The others are also catching pace soon,” he added.

The four PCPIRs so far approved are at Dahej in Gujarat, Haldia in West Bengal, Paradip in Orissa and Vishakhapatnam in Andhra Pradesh. Each notified zone is expected to bring in an investment, both domestic and international, to the tune of `2 lakh crore to `3 lakh crore, said Raman.

1 - 20 of 1193 Posts