SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Ex-mod
7,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm shocked - HNIC wouldn't be HNIC without that music. They've been using the song 39 years, and is one of the most identifiable theme songs on Canadian TV. I don't see why they'd remove the theme song that is already synonymous with hockey.

Hockey Night in Canada theme song iced by CBC

Randy Boswell , Canwest News Service
Published: Friday, June 06, 2008

A "saddened" CBC formally announced Friday that it is dropping the popular but disputed theme song to Hockey Night in Canada, ending a 40-year tradition that produced what has been described as the country's "second national anthem."

Despite talks between network executives and composer Dolores Claman's Toronto agent that went on past Friday's 5 p.m. deadline, the CBC issued a statement a few hours later saying the two sides did not resolve disagreements over a 2004 lawsuit and licensing rights to continue airing the famous "Dunt-da dunt-da dunt" trumpet fanfare, which has signalled the start of thousands of hockey broadcasts since 1968.

"We share with all Canadians the disappointment of this news, as we feel as strongly about the theme as they do," said Scott Moore, executive director of CBC Sports. "We are proud of the association with the former theme song and are saddened that we were unable to reach a deal, especially when we presented an offer, which we believe was not substantively different from what the rights holders had proposed to us."

He said that CBC will "never say never" about reviving negotiations for Claman's theme, but it is determined to proceed with a national new song contest for now.

There will be a prize of $100,000 to come up with a new musical theme for Hockey Night in Canada.

"We love the song and know this is a huge disappointment for us and for millions of Canadians. As of today, CBC Sports is moving forward with our plan to have the Canadian public compose the new Hockey Night in Canada theme song."

Claman was reportedly paid $500 for each Hockey Night in Canada broadcast. Her lawsuit, launched in 2004, claimed that the CBC owed her more money for its use of the music in overseas programming.

As talks stretched into overtime on Friday, the federal Liberal heritage critic Denis Coderre had called on Heritage Minister Josee Verner to personally intervene and save the song for Canada.

"The Hockey Night in Canada theme is a part of Canada's culture that goes beyond sport," Coderre had said in a statement. "This is a great opportunity for the heritage minister to finally get off the bench by defending an important Canadian tradition."

The CBC's threat to end its use of Claman's composition had sparked a nationwide uproar among hockey fans on Thursday. CBC was swamped with e-mails and telephone complaints, an online petition was launched and objections were voiced by Alberta Premier Ed Stelmach, legendary hockey broadcaster Howie Meeker and hundreds of ordinary Canadians.

Claman, 80, had issued a statement saying "I am saddened by the decision of the CBC to drop the Hockey Night in Canada Theme after our lengthy history together."

Moore later told Canwest News Service that CBC was surprised by Claman's comments and that negotiations would continue until late Friday.

But he made clear at the time that the familiar Hockey Night in Canada anthem would be scrapped unless Claman and her agent ended their legal fight with the public broadcaster and quickly settled on terms for the network's ongoing use of the composition.

"We have offered any number of ways to resolve that litigation," Moore said Thursday. "We've offered arbitration. We've offered mediation. In fact, we got them to mediation and they would not come to an agreement. So we want to try to find a way to solve it, but we can't do business with someone who's suing us."

Moore said that while "people love the theme and are attached to the theme," its popularity derives mainly from "the power of the brand of Hockey Night in Canada."

He said: "Any song that's associated with Hockey Night in Canada is going to have a certain cachet. I think it's worth noting that it's not the first theme to Hockey Night in Canada, and it probably won't be the last one - whether we get an arrangement on this particular date or not. Things do change."

·
Ex-mod
7,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The government needs to give the network more money.....CBC has been on the same budget for the last 15-years, yet everyone expects so much from them.

·
The Mighty.
3,184 Posts
Whoever is responsible for this should be hung, with their bodies on display publicly to set an example for anyother person or persons trying to diminish Canadian culture which is already at an all time low.
Their families should be jailed, and their friends under watch for 10 years.

This would most certainly deter anyone else from tearing my already broken country apart.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
What a crying shame that they couldn't work out the deal to keep the music. Out of curiousity, how will the new song be chosen? By public vote? If so, could it be possible to resubmit the original theme and then have EVERYONE vote for it? It's not like people would boycott HNIC just because they change the music, or would they?!

·
Administrator
79,193 Posts
Seeing as how the CBC is a publicly supported national television network, one might have hoped the author of the song would have felt some tug of loyalty to the fact that CBC's Hockey Night in Canada took a small ditty that she whipped up and made it part of our history, but I guess the highest bidder wins. Sort of. I know she has a right to the maximum payment, but I kind of agree with Algonquin... she has been milking that cow for a very long time. She might have been bigger about it and given something back to the public.

·
Welcome to the Rail World
4,671 Posts
Whoever is responsible for this should be hung, with their bodies on display publicly to set an example for anyother person or persons trying to diminish Canadian culture which is already at an all time low.
Their families should be jailed, and their friends under watch for 10 years.

This would most certainly deter anyone else from tearing my already broken country apart.
Save it for the Quebec separatists, I mean, honestly, it's a TV-theme. :eek:hno:

How is this an Canadian Urban Issue, btw? :lol:

Am I the only Canadian that isn't into pro-sports, including hockey? Never heard the song, and I do not associate it with Canadian culture; it's just a TV-theme. "Culture" is more sophisticated than a sports television program.

·
4,671 Posts
You've never heard the song? :uh:

I'd have to disagree.. I hate to use that overused cliche of late, but I do
think it is an "iconic" Canadian song. Even moreso than the Weathernetwork's themesong! :D
Hockey itself is a piece of Canadian culute; no contest, obviously. But a TV theme song? Sorry, I stand by the statement that "culture" is more sophisticated than a television OP.

·
Administrator
79,193 Posts
"Sorry, I stand by the statement that "culture" is more sophisticated than a television OP"

who said culture was less important or less sophisticated than the Hockey Night in Canada themesong? I'm only saying the song means quite a bit to a large number of Canadians. This song is probably more intrinsically linked to hockey than you realize. If you have never heard it before you may be underestimating it and dismissing it offhand.

·
4,671 Posts
who said culture was less important or less sophisticated than the Hockey Night in Canada themesong?
The following;
Its a terible loss to canadian culture:eek:hno:
One of the very few things of Canadiana that has lasted and endured the onslaught of US culture is now toast.
See my point?

I'm only saying the song means quite a bit to a large number of Canadians. This song is probably more intrinsically linked to hockey than you realize. If you have never heard it before you may be underestimating it and dismissing it offhand.
It may mean a lot to a large number of Canadians, and that's fine; great even. But that's nostalgia. Just because it is popular doesn't mean it is "culture", and that's a saving grace right there, otherwise a lot of things that are "popular" would be considered "culture" (when it shouldn't).

·
Banned
806 Posts
This is terrible news! I've been humming/whistling/singing this song for as long as I can remember.

Hockey is a huge part of Canadian culture whether you follow it or not and the HNIC theme song is a massive symbol of that culture. It transcends regional, language and class barriers and you only have to begin humming it for everyone to instantly know what you're 'talking' about. If you're staying at a hostel overseas and you want to identify yourself to other Canadians, simply walk into the kitchen or common area whistling HNIC. Other Canucks will immediately pipe up ie: "Hey! We're from Calgary! Where you from?"

I think that cooler heads will prevail and that it'll be back in October.. I hope!

1 - 20 of 66 Posts