Skyscraper City Forum banner

Is a Flinders St Station extension a good backup location for the Apple Store?

• Yes

Votes: 7 53.8%
  • No

Votes: 6 46.2%
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So there is a debate about the new Apple Store...
I don't have any issues with some demolition at Federation Square and some creepers and vines but...

Is an extension of Flinders St Station a viable backup option aka Central Station NYC if things don't go to plan at Federation Square? Or are there other better locations?

·
Aesthetics
1,814 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,865 Posts
Anyone heard anything recently?

Management of Melbourne's Federation Square want permission to knock down part of a building at the precinct - making way for an Apple store - as part of a heritage listing.

The group hopes to demolish the Yarra Building, above the basement, to pave the way for the tech giant's planned flagship store, noting it is not of the same design calibre as other parts of the square, a 124-page heritage impact statement reveals.

"While the National Trust does not oppose commercial activation at Federation Square, future development should not be at the expense of the unnecessary destruction of the Yarra Building," the National Trust's Victorian chief Simon Ambrose said on Wednesday as the square is considered for addition to the state's heritage register.

Daily Mail

·
Registered
12,939 Posts
I don't know anyone who has every ventured inside the Yarra Building ? I recall it had a Horse museum for a while before the Indigenous thing ? Before the 'Apple' controversy I often thought it a shame that building blocked the square off from southern vistas across the Yarra to the parks beyond. I know lefty anti anything commercial big business crushing lettuce munching worry worts think of an Apple Store as a shocking intrusion on their space yet from indications it seems to open up the square to the River and have more open public space to take advantage of the southern aspect.
I hear Apple intends this location as one of 5 ? destination Apple flagship stores across the world. Tourists visit these stores. I made sure I visited their New York glass cube and the space below and enjoyed the experience even though I have never owned or intend to own an Apple product.
If the architecture is sensitive to the space I don't see the problem if the amenity is improved. I think they should be allowed to sell coffee for money as well...

·
Registered
4,255 Posts
Amazing how FS was so hated. Now this is happening everyone is up in arms. When I was there last November the rail subway going under which I know is a different issues, also ruined it. No leave it alone and go away Apple.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Eh. As has been said, rather not cheapen a decent landmark.
As for Apple bringing tourists to Fed Square with a giant glass box, pass, it just won't add anything to the landscape, and it needs to be something more cultural.

If anything, I hear Spencer Outlet Centre is looking for tenants again. Might look great with a view of Eti-marvel and the Spencer St Yards.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Even if Apple does go ahead they will not be a tenant for ever so as long as the building and and changes are an improvement on what is there now I will take it! Something ‘cultural’ can take it over once Apple go bust or move their store to the Myer building once they go bust.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Either way, it'll be just as incredibly divsive as Fed Sq is, which I suppose is fitting.
And whilst, okay, I've said I don't particularly want apple there, it's because of the architecture. If they fit in with the styling, I'd be more than happy.

But to play devils advocate here for a second. What would the opinion be if it was the State Library instead of Fed Sq or FSS?
What if it was Southgate instead?
Yes, okay, there's next to no comparison, but it's a thought provoker.

·
Rhino
980 Posts
Most of the objections around this proposal are that its Apple who's initiating it :apple:

Redbaron was right on the money, how many of us have actually gone into the Yarra Building??? Yes It's in keeping with the rest of the architecture in the square but does nothing to connect the city with the Yarra and its open spaces beyond. It also hides the beautiful Deakin Edge building behind.

The new design opens up the space, creates a natural path to the Yarra and exposes the Deakin Building more when viewing from Princess Bridge. Win Win....This would't ever happen without private investment, why would we waste public money on making changes when so many other areas of the city are ripe for investment.

Even the original architect said if done correctly he was not that fussed if the Yarra Building went...speaks volumes. The National Trust trying to put it on the heritage register after only 17 years is a bit much...

·
Rhino
980 Posts

·
RAWR ROAR RAWR
4,624 Posts
most heritage site yes bulldoze if dilapidated, this one hipster fruit store no, no hipster = heritage, no just no

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I wont be as diplomatic as SavvySpaniard and stick my hand up and admit this is 100% about Apple. It's not about whether you like the architecture or opening up access to the river at all. The current problems with the design can be fixed, and should be, without Apple.

I find the flippancy towards selling out part of the city's beating cultural heart quite sad. The common retort to this, that private businesses already operate there, is flawed. They are culturally themed or small hospitality businesses, restaurants, cafes and bars, which are the cornerstone of any successful public square around the world.

Melbourne's brand and confidence has improved significantly over the last two decades, but the debate on this issue has shone a light on the insecurities that still exist. Apple is just the latest temptress appealing to those insecurities, and it was embarrassingly easy.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts