SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 489 Posts

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/mo...n-melbournes-cbd/story-fn7x8me2-1226381975303

ANOTHER huge residential skyscraper is to spring up in Melbourne's CBD, offering park living for residents in 180 flats.

The 166m, 42-storey, building on the corner of Spring St and Flinders Lane will overlook the Treasury Gardens and the Premier's office after being approved by Planning Minister Matthew Guy last week.

Residents in the neighbouring Philadelphia tower had opposed the project, saying the taller skyscraper would cast their homes in shadow.

Mr Guy said the design of the $200 million skyscraper would offset the problem by sloping backwards to allow sunlight and space.

"The development's high-quality design continues to ensure that Melbourne's skyline is developed in a manner that reinforces its reputation as an internationally renowned city," Mr Guy said.

"Appropriate setbacks, which increase incrementally as the tower rises, recognise and respond to the need for neighbouring buildings' access to sunlight and space."

An 11-storey office complex will be demolished to make way for the tower.

·
smooth operator
3,623 Posts
almost looks like a double facade in parts - very good

·
Registered
76,990 Posts
looks pretty good. but whats withe the massive amount of residential towers DAs in the city? isnt the burbs good enough? lol

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
New yorkish feel? Why? Because it"a next to the treasury gardens and reminds you of CP? Great building but that was a wank of a thing to say. Different target market though compared to the usual boxes so could do well
Why do you even care?:bash: If that's what he feels when he looks at the render that's what he feels.

·
AshMelb
270 Posts
New yorkish feel? Why? Because it"a next to the treasury gardens and reminds you of CP? Great building but that was a wank of a thing to say. Different target market though compared to the usual boxes so could do well
Did somebody wake up on the wrong side of the bed? It's not a ranker thing to say at all. I thought the exact same thing, it's the building that looks New Yorkish! This and Pearl are easily the nicest looking proposals in Melb, oh and 568.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Not going to get into an argument here but I have to agree. When most people mention "New Yorkish" wtf lol most people think of Brownstone buildings as they vastly outnumber glass office/residential buildings... A lot of the ones that look slightly similar to this building like the Conde Nast Builidng are actually relatively new in New York and I fail to understand how basically every good looking new proposal alway seems to get the comment it has a New York feel to it... Personally I think it has a Melbourne feel to it. Who wants a New York feel? Thats over-rated ;)

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
This one sits on quite a raised part of town too doesn't it? Will be even more dominant than it is I think. Love the render so far and looking forward to some more

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Because the setbacks on the tower are reminiscent of the setbacks on towers in New York. A law was introduced early in the 1900's in New York forcing setbacks onto it's towers and therefore has become a signature of New York.
This tower has setbacks of that nature - that's how I felt anyway.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Because the setbacks on the tower are reminiscent of the setbacks on towers in New York. A law was introduced early in the 1900's in New York forcing setbacks onto it's towers and therefore has become a signature of New York.
This tower has setbacks of that nature - that's how I felt anyway.
I think Melbourne's had those setback laws since the early 80's, so maybe all New York towers should be compared to Melbourne :cheers:

EDIT. thought you said 1990's not 1900's, so ignore that, but still the setback towers are a feature of Melbourne too, it's what gives Collins st such a wide feeling.

anyway looks like a good addition to spring st, and unlikely to have it's views built out on any side in the near future.

·
flame on.
5,044 Posts
New yorkish feel? Why? Because it"a next to the treasury gardens and reminds you of CP?
no. i was talking in relation to its bulky/boxy architecture. Something I'm always fascinated by every time i visit.

And its relation to treasury gardens is nothing like central park. bit of a loose connection...

1 - 20 of 489 Posts