SkyscraperCity banner

841 - 860 of 911 Posts

·
Wolf in sheep's clothing
3,239 Posts
It's like someone grabbed an iron and ironed out all the wrinkles. Compared to the twisting crumpled glass tower in the initial renders what we got is quite boxy.

·
flame on.
4,983 Posts
i was reserving judgement but now its finished i feel disappointed. Dont get me wrong. Its a very nice tower... but the renders (as JD said) gave the illusion of a twisting undulating tower... but from almost every angle the illusion doesnt work. I was very excited in the beginning when we first saw the glass but as it got taller it became more and more evident that the wavy pattern was very subtle. In many ways, Abode318 (which is a far worse tower) has been far more successful with its slightly more exaggerated wavy facade.

·
Registered
167 Posts
i was reserving judgement but now its finished i feel disappointed. Dont get me wrong. Its a very nice tower... but the renders (as JD said) gave the illusion of a twisting undulating tower... but from almost every angle the illusion doesnt work. I was very excited in the beginning when we first saw the glass but as it got taller it became more and more evident that the wavy pattern was very subtle. In many ways, Abode318 (which is a far worse tower) was been far more successful with its slightly more exaggerated wavy facade.
The architectural plans were changed quite considerably at the 11th hour, it must have been decided that the original angles, which were much more extreme, were either too costly, or would make for awkward apartment interiors, especially when the apartment sizes are so small!

It's just a shame they didn't stick with the high reflectivity silver glass panels as they really would have contrasted significantly better with the awesome purple/blue haze panels and created a much more polished look than the cheapish one it is now, thank god they went to some effort to crown the top of the tower at least

Overall its a decent addition to the skyline, falling short of the brilliance it should have been if they had spent a little more on glazed reflective windows

Unfortunately architects brilliant visions rarely become reality in the West where construction costs are high and developers cut too many corners

It can look quite stunning driving over the Bolte Bridge or through Footscray at the right time when the sun is reflecting on the purple/blue haze at the right angle making it a fiery electronic pink

Also if you're underneath or a block away the twist does look quite cool, same as Abode its wave is only really noticeable from up to a block away and apart from that its basically a boring rectangular box, I know, I lived there for 2 years, and that tower is something else when it comes to apartment sizes, I'd say from anything built in the CBD in the past decade, only 35 Spring st would be on the same playing field of spaciousness

·
Registered
26 Posts
I like the white trim. I think it gives it a distinct horizontal aspect.

These were all precast panels, MPX did a slab set back from the edge and then set these in. Saved countless hours in forming each level

Thanks Mark that is an amazing insight. I had no idea!

·
Registered
261 Posts
I have to say now all of the facade has been completed and the crane down, it has a very special feel to it. I really like it. I particularly like the different looks it has depending on sunlight and angle viewed, it never feels like the same design. That is very hard to pull off on a normal box tower design.

·
Oh ma Lordee, lookee here
1,721 Posts
I have to say now all of the facade has been completed and the crane down, it has a very special feel to it. I really like it. I particularly like the different looks it has depending on sunlight and angle viewed, it never feels like the same design. That is very hard to pull off on a normal box tower design.
Totally agree. It has a terrificly eye-catching attraction to it.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Driving over the Westgate on Saturday night and you could see these purple angles of glass on different parts of the building and it was very impressive as the sun was setting.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Yes I agree with all your comments above very 'nice' but..................if you look back at the original renders they appeared spectacular. I am afraid nothing like what was eventually built but still unusual. Hope now they start some new plans for skyscrapers on the other side of Elizabeth Street as it is still dumpy.

841 - 860 of 911 Posts