Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm really not sure if this deserves a thread because we all know it won't happen for about a billion reasons - but maybe something smaller will - Anyway this is from the HS :nuts::nuts:

Record-breaking 330m tower plan to change Melbourne’s skyline foreverA BLADE-like tower 330m high — to be the tallest building in Victoria — has been proposed for the northern edge of *Melbourne’s CBD.

The Royal Society of *Victoria wants to build the 18m-wide skinny skyscraper on a small triangle of land it owns at the corner of Latrobe and Victoria streets.

The Magic building would be higher than the Eureka Tower and the under-construction Australia 108 high-rise on Southbank.

The Royal Society is trumpeting the project, on a site half the size of a tennis court, as a design landmark celebrating science and innovation.

DeciBel Architecture’s Dylan Brady has created the design and Grocon’s Daniel Grollo has agreed to build the project, estimated to cost about $150 million.

But the Magic tower has several hurdles to clear before construction can begin.

It would need state and federal approval as well as heritage clearance, because the location is within the Royal Exhibition Building heritage zone. Preliminary talks have been held with governments and Melbourne City Council.

One apartment would *occupy each level with a floor space of about 250sq m.

Profits from sales of the apartments — expected to be priced in the millions and coveted worldwide — would be used by the Royal Society to promote science.

The bold tower would sit next to the society’s double-storey headquarters and a caretaker’s cottage, both of which are heritage-listed.

The small patch of grass was the weather bureau’s city observation station until three years ago.

Royal Society chief executive Michael Flattley said the development would “supercharge” the organisation and promote community engagement among all ages in science across the state.

“Through local kids’ clubs, we will keep the flame of curiosity alive in our youngest *scientists,’’ he said

It would also fund a science engagement centre, upgrade the society’s headquarters and create an endowment fund for projects and awards.

Mr Brady said the structure would celebrate science and not be for the profit of a developer.

“Magic, at 1 Victoria Street, will be the most innovative, most sustainable, tallest possible reach-for-the-stars proposition we can create,’’ he said.

“It will be driven by the world-leading Victorian science expertise.”

The landmark would represent Melbourne’s place as Australia’s science capital, he said, and incorporate engineering and construction innovations such as solar glass on the facade.

Foundations for the tower would be sunk through soil and anchored into bedrock about 50m underground.

Wind engineer Bill Melbourne has helped sculpt the design to allow better windflow, especially from the west, to ensure stability of the building.

Grocon spokeswoman Melinda D’Cruze said the company was committed to deliver an “outstanding *addition not only to the Melbourne skyline, but especially to the science community for generations to come”.

The Royal Society was founded in 1854 and its headquarters since 1859 has been the two-storey heritage-listed brick building, designed by Melbourne architect Joseph Reed, who also created the State Library, the Royal Exhibition Building, Trades Hall and Melbourne Town Hall.

Also on the block is the 1870 caretakers’ cottage, the only single-storey home in the CBD, which would remain but lose some back garden to allow for the skyscraper’s base.

Royal Society president David Zerman said formal consultations with government and the community would now begin.

The northern end of the CBD is relatively free of skyscrapers but Malaysian developer SP Setia is building a $480 million twin-tower hotel and apartment complex at the corner of Exhibition and Latrobe streets.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/vi...tory/dab12895fc36ed18c50ac7de8ce44890?login=1

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
Although very narrow at 18m, I still suspect that the Owners of By the Gardens (sorry edit) would have spat their cornflakes over the brecky table upon opening their copy of the Herald Sun this morning....

I doubt they would ever have expected this proposal (in any form) to obliterate their hitherto unobstructed views of the Carlton Gardens!

·
Registered
5,888 Posts
No chance at all. Nada, zip, zilch & none.

Jill Garner (the State Architect), Richard Wynne, MCC & C270 plot-ratio based planning rules will all not allow this.

The actual tower height of 330m (which I assume to be above-sea-level) ironically actually has a good chance of being at the PANS-OPS limit (which was lifted May 2016). Around 320-330m from memory is the new northern CBD aviation limit (up from 270-290m RL).

Note for comparison, for various reason By the Gardens (308 Exhibition St) was chopped due to contextual height difference to its surrounding towers. This is that times one hundred.

Personal opinion, I think this looks awful and totally out of place. I am far more interested in BMW & Tower Melbourne projects; those are realistic and within context. Heck, I am more interested in seeing By the Gardens actually start.

This is like Harry Seidler's Grollo Tower, an out-of-context publicity stunt:

·
Registered
5,888 Posts
Although very narrow at 18m, I still suspect that the Owners of Queen’s Place would have spat their cornflakes over the brecky table upon opening their copy of the Herald Sun this morning....

I doubt they would ever have expected this proposal (in any form) to obliterate their hitherto unobstructed views of the Carlton Gardens!
I think you mean the By the Gardens project ;)

I doubt they are losing sleep over this moon-shoot. I'd bet good money this never sees the light of day.

·
Aesthetics
1,816 Posts
I must say that I find it awkward there with that height in that position...if it was suggested in the middle of CBD in what they call doughnut circle of CBD and if the height was in high 300's or even 400 then I would say 'yes, go for it' !

·
Banned
2,838 Posts
That site can't be much more than 100sqm

"One apartment would *occupy each level with a floor space of about 250sq m", so with a conservative estimate of 3.3m high floors giving 100 floors x 250sqm

= 25,000 sqm on a 100sqm site... Plot ratio of 250:1

Melbs required plot ratio is what? 18:1 I think?

All a bit silly tbh. If this is seriously considered for even a second it would make a mockery of the last few years of skyscraper reforms.

·
Aesthetics
1,816 Posts
They can always make exception with the plot ratio according to individual site; as I am aware it is possible...to me it is the position that seems not the best in regards to visual impact on the overall skyline...it just looks incongruous sitting there on that corner!

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
They can always make exception with the plot ratio according to individual site; as I am aware it is possible...to me it is the position that seems not the best in regards to visual impact on the overall skyline...it just looks incongruous sitting there on that corner!
Throw in the two BTG towers and Swanston Central, then the extra 100m would probably make it look less of an eyesore than Eureka did on completion.

Nice bookend!

Tricky Dicky might even take a shine to it in the final months of his current term.... something to stimulate the imagination of the masses (plebs) who know not much better when it comes to election ‘carrots’, and how easily such fantasies can steal the moment to serve momentary appeal.... yet another positive seed planted in the collective mass-imagination....

·
Aesthetics
1,816 Posts
Yes Papps...I almost forgot BTG towers and as you said Swanstan Central also; it would make it all balance out...the design would have to be very sharp and more triangular to make it work...I guess this is just a teaser...and I must admit the views from apartments would be lovely...who knows...but I doubt!
And if it ever happened it would require international competition!
Looking at the initial design it loooks triangular anyway....but still it would need the best architects!
It could work...LOL...as you said something to tickle my imagination!

·
Registered
5,888 Posts
The are two main exceptions to 18:1 plot-ratio rules:

[1] When developers give back, e.g public space, community facilities, public works etc. 383 LaTrobe grew to 29:1. Getting above 30:1 is difficult, I can't think of such an approval since C270 came in?

[2] When the minister deems a project to be of state significance. This is how One Queensbridge was approved I believe at around 55:1

To get approval using [2] requires a big BIG project. This ain't it at only $150 million, however the BMW project at a mooted $2 billion could qualify (this is more than the $1.7 billion at One Queensbridge, though all these numbers are fuzzy).

·
Registered
5,888 Posts
Tricky Dicky might even take a shine to it in the final months of his current term.... something to stimulate the imagination of the masses (plebs) who know not much better when it comes to election ‘carrots’, and how easily such fantasies can steal the moment to serve momentary appeal.... yet another positive seed planted in the collective mass-imagination....
I would rather Tricky Dicky take a shine to the BMW project which already has an international architectural competition underway.

Approval of this project (which will not happen) will generate for more negative consequences for him and his government than it would achieve positive. He will not use "project-of-state-significance" here, no way Jose.

BMW on the other hand is in the middle of Eureka, A108, One Queensbridge and Prima, hence approving another supertall there will not generate near as much heat. Approval for BMW would also keep the building unions happy since it will be more work to keep their members employed and happy.

·
Aesthetics
1,816 Posts
Db2...yes you are right...and it would go under number 2 of state significance; Royal Society is using the money to promote science and would have to create architecturally exceptional building which is of state significance also in regards to tourism, considering its positon next to Carlton Gardens and Royal Exibition Building...leave the marketing to me...LOL...now I am excited and can see the light at the end of the tunnel!

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
Who knows what he would deem as being a Project of State Significance.... Victoria’s track record of ‘significant’ building projects seems to be waning...
1QB has taken so long we’ve all forgotten about it...
and they don’t seem to be coming around all that often (once per term? = 10 per 40 years... don’t hold your breath).

The State Govt needs to stop tickling itself up the clacker at the moment and it really needs to think about sticking a feather atop something to stimulate the public’s imagination.
This could well be the Project - and out of left field at that. We haven’t had any of these sorts of proposals since 555 Collins or pre-Pantscraper (nappy scraper...) days, both preceding this Government’s current term.

If they can readily convince the masses that we all agreed to allow them to throw away $1billion plus on EW Link, then I’m sure they can convince everyone that this is a Project of State significance and throw the Rule Book out the window to serve their own end-game!

1 - 20 of 102 Posts