SkyscraperCity banner

21 - 40 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
Please don't.

Melbourne is coming along just fine. There's a great mix of buildings that interact well with the street and surrounding buildings.

What you're suggesting is textbook Central Asian dictatorship.

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/gallery/2017/oct/16/weirdest-stans-buildings-architecture-ashgabat-astana-in-pictures

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2017/oct/17/norman-foster-president-pyramid-architects-built-astana
Love It.... almost.
Not exactly what I had in mind.
Thought about running for Liberal leadership once.
Maybe I could be like Jeff version 2.
I think the public would have much the same perception of me, only worse, particularly if I steamrolled the Planning guidelines and imposed my own taste in public edifices. I could build monuments just like every other State leader, only with a colourful twist (excuse the pun)... maybe a turning torso that actually turns (a’la Mexico City)!
I jest!

·
Registered
329 Posts
Not same.

I beg to differ from the masses.

Visionary is to let one's imagination run wild!

I want to see an 'explosive' skyline with all sorts of shapes and colour, to beckon for one's attention, from afar and within. An amuzement park as such. To stimulate and excite.

Need I go on?

Maybe we just need some modern day Crazy John Ilhan to stimulate our imaginations. A mobile phone tower that actually looks like a mobile phone. Cladding-wise, we'd just need to update the cladding with every new model release! That's the sort of thinking we need.

Same as in the building hasnt changed from the intial renders posted

·
Registered
4,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I like it:

Note, this is basically across the road from Queens Place. Will be an active construction area for quite a while; also Jean Novel tower to come.

Side benefit, it will partially hide the rubbish Brady building.

·
Lord Melbourne
4,025 Posts
New proposal for the site it seems.

Found out by Ryan Seychell over on urban.com.au
ARCHITECTURE / COMMERCIAL / DESIGNED / RESIDENTIAL / UNBUILT
Melbourne CBD, Australia
Residential area = 41, 314 sqm
Total Apartments = 510
333 Studio Student Accom; area = 7066sqm
Total Height = 288 metres
Number of floors = 93
Client: Higher Futures – (Flagship Property Holdings and Plenary Group)
http://www.plusarchitecture.com.au/portfolio/tower-in-melbourne-cbd/

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
Victoria University to build 32-storey tower of higher learning in Melbourne CBD

Construction on the estimated $110 million project on Little Lonsdale St will start next year with the aim of being open for the 2022 academic year.

Super fund investor ISPT will take ownership of the building, along with two neighbouring former university properties — the 19th century Records Office and Land Titles Office both on Queen St.

The university’s planning application originally gained ministerial approval in July 2013 and Planning Minister Richard Wynne renewed the permit in October last year.

The 24,000sq m campus tower will provide office and teaching space for the business, health and biomedicine and the law and justice faculties, as well as for administration.

Renowned architect Daryl Jackson has designed the 135m structure

Victoria University vice-chancellor Professor Peter Dawkins said joining with ISPT on the project would help create a world-class precinct in the CBD.

The Lands Titles Office, built in the late 19th century, and the 1904 Records Office will continue to be used by the university.

Both buildings are listed on the state Heritage Register.

Earlier this year Heritage Victoria rejected another university plan for a 17-storey tower behind the Land Titles Office on Queen St.

The 19th century Titles Office is on the Victorian Heritage Register as a property of architectural, technical and historical significance.

Victoria University has three other study locations in the city — Flinders St, Flinders Lane and King St, as well as campuses at Footscray, Sunshine, St Albans and Werribee.

Herald Sun Sub

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Cant believe this one is finally about to start!
Funny week it's been.
Some that I was sure were about to go ahead have stalled and then this one I'd given up for dead announced to start.

Makes up for 555 Collins, which I'm disappointed about. The Bates Smart design was sublime and would've looked so classy......

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
Hate to be the Party Pooper here, but it does little if anything to stimulate any sentiments I may have regarding historic preservation.

By all means give me the Olderfleet Buildings or any of the City churches, but this appears to be nothing other than a replication of any number of single storey, terra-cotta roofed, red-brick structures found throughout the inner suburbs of Melbourne. It looks very much out of place in a modern business district.

As an anachronism, yes it tells a story, but the basis of preservation should not be that it is a last remnant of a bygone era, of nothing more than freak show value to the passing parade. I believe that it should provide some aspirational value, rather than add to the Car Park preservation mentality that otherwise tends to prevail.

·
Premium Member
9,554 Posts
This has moved quickly. Article from The Urban Developer.

ProBuild have this.

As pic above shows demo commencing December.
Construction
David Mousa
Wed 21 Nov 18
ISPT Announce Construction Contractor for $200 Million Vertical Campus

Developer ISPT has announced construction giant Probuild as the head contractor for the upcoming Victoria University City West Tower.
Expected to cost in excess of $200 million, the 24,000sq m campus will be a joint venture between ISPT, Victoria University (VU) and the Victorian Department of Education and Training.
Probuild will now lead the contract after the recent successful delivery of 271 Spring Street, another of ISPT’s developments.
According to Probuild’s Victorian managing director Luke Stambolis, they are excited to re-enter the university sector and take on their first vertical education campus.
“We’re looking forward to adapting our industry-leading expertise in high-rises to suit education needs,” Stambolis said.
“Victoria University is expanding their CBD presence in order to provide industry-best learning spaces and attract the very best students.”
“Probuild is excited to be working alongside ISPT to deliver the next generation in University development.”
Related: ISPT to Develop 32-Storey Vertical Campus in Melbourne's CBD

Probuild has signed the head contract for the design and construction of Victoria University’s City West Tower with developer ISPT, what will be Melbourne’s tallest vertical campus.
Image: Daryl Jackson Architects

ISPT’s senior development manager Jason Lourensz also expressed the developer's excitement to be working with Probuild again and what the campus will do for education in Melbourne’s CBD.
“Once complete, the tower will anchor this burgeoning knowledge precinct and add to the growing portfolio of properties delivered by ISPT as the sole developer and long-term owner,” Lourensz said.
“This project is a key addition to our development workbook and represents an important extension of our investment into the education sector.”
Demolition works on the site are scheduled to commence in December this year with a projected completion date of late 2021 in time for the 2022 academic year.

https://theurbandeveloper.com/articles/ispt-announce-construction-contractor-for-200-million-vertical-campus-?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=221118 VIC&utm_content=221118 VIC+CID_0f84d1fadaab5ba9d75ffd6d7c3e7ffa&utm_source=email&utm_term=Continue Reading

21 - 40 of 90 Posts