SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 2848 Posts

·
smooth operator
3,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
taken from westend/northbank thread...its worthy...go bananas!!!

Preliminary Concepts for the Age site, no idea who the architects are:

2009 can't come soon enough.

AXIOM & ISPT SNAP UP THE AGE SITE FOR $66.1 MILLION

Axiom Properties Limited has formed a joint venture with Industry Superannuation Property Trust No. 3 to buy “The Age” newspaper’s Melbourne headquarters for $66.1 million.

The site comprises nearly a whole city block of 15,200 square metres opposite the newly-redeveloped Spencer Street railway station, and is ear-marked for a mixed-use redevelopment.

The Age will lease back all of the buildings on the property for three years to show the joint venturers a return of 6.5% per annum while planning the redevelopment. “The Age” had previously proposed a major new office building and up to 1,000 apartments on the site, before deciding to relocate to the Docklands precinct.

The Executive Director of Axiom, Mr Ben Laurance, said the purchase and scheme for redevelopment were part of the long-term vision Axiom’s major shareholder, Pivot Group, presented to Axiom shareholders during the battle for control with Macquarie Bank, which Pivot won last year.

“The purchase of this prominent redevelopment site in partnership with ISPT provides further strength and diversity to Axiom’s development portfolio,” Mr Laurance said.

“We believe that the site is directly in the path of the new growth centre of the Melbourne CBD, and adjoins massive, newly-developed retail, office and residential facilities around the Spencer Street station,” he said.

“We think this is an opportunity to accommodate major office tenants and apartment dwellers with environmentally sustainable space in a village atmosphere with all of the transport access and retail conveniences everybody wants,” Mr Laurance said.

Mr Laurance said: “The size, prominence, and location of this site will enable the partners to transform this site from “The Age” site to the “New Age” site.

The Chief Executive Officer of ISPT, Mr Daryl Browning, said: “This acquisition ideally suits our new opportunity fund, ISPT No. 3, which was formed last year to undertake a diverse range of developments including major city commercial projects such as this. ISPT No. 3 managed by David McFadyen has secured a number of projects which will have an end value approaching $1 billion. The Age site complements a number of residential and industrial development opportunities already acquired.”

Wow if the actual tower turns out like that it'll be huge. 51 levels I count - not including the podium.

Concepts look similar to it's neighbour across the street in terms of site use/mix of high-rise and mid-rise. Exciting time ahead for our 'city by the bay'.

Thanks a heap Archi.

That looks fabulous - love the alternate light patterns!

Excuse my ignorance, but which is the Age site?
hawt. the first one anyway.

really contrasts with the building that's on the opposite side of the road now.
shadbolt, top end of spencer st opposite the station

·
smooth operator
3,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
roughly 225m id say, the internal floorplate of the office tower is quality

·
Proud Victorian!
7,036 Posts
Whatever goes up here should be a good height. Would be good if they could somehow thin out the tower in the first pic and add the "fat" to the top.

·
Oh ma Lordee, lookee here
1,720 Posts
Like it. That cluster style will complement the powerstation plans well. Boy that intersection would be impressive with those two across the road from each other.

·
Registered
12,313 Posts
Hoping not to be negative....but heard thismorning the Aquarium is up for sale due to problems connected with overseas financial downturns...wonder if any of these big projects ( The Age, Power Stn, CUB )will grind to a halt with financial uncertainty hanging over our heads?

·
Agent of Change
6,225 Posts
I've thought about it and I think the architects are the Buchan Group (as ISPT have called on them before for AXA's old digs) and have a penchant for odd colours in renders or as Collector suggested in another thread McBride Charles Ryan.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Redbaron. I think that the sale of the Aquarium is more related to problems particular to that company. However it is a shame that the next stage won't be going ahead.

As for this project it looks sensational. When it was announced that Axiom and ISPT had bought this site and talked of creating a 'village atmosphere' I wasn't expecting any tallies on this site...i'm now pleasantly suprised.

The tower in the second concept looks a little like the tower planned for the corner of Toorak and Chapel. Were Buchan responsible for that one?

·
Agent of Change
6,225 Posts
Bruce Henderson were behind the Fun Factory scheme which had the Apple logo, Buchan were responsible for the curvier design.

·
Proud Victorian!
7,036 Posts
Not tall enough :)

If they are building only one tower hopefully they should go for 325m+. Australia's tallest building has a nice ring to it :)
Agreed. I hope the developers realise that the site they have should not be messed around with!

As for a 300m+ I'm still holding out for three possibilites:

1. SAMA is drawing up something big and The Age as usual misquoted the number of levels of the tower last year.

2. Australand will combine their tower with Prima.

3. Someone like Grocon will just propose a tower out of the blue any day!!

This was also on my list until yesterday.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Hoping not to be negative....but heard thismorning the Aquarium is up for sale due to problems connected with overseas financial downturns...wonder if any of these big projects ( The Age, Power Stn, CUB )will grind to a halt with financial uncertainty hanging over our heads?
Not wanting to be negative either but the simple answer is - 'Yes'

·
Registered
12,313 Posts
Redbaron. I think that the sale of the Aquarium is more related to problems particular to that company. However it is a shame that the next stage won't be going ahead.

A real shame...Those poor Penguins are now going to have to troll up and down Flinders St...hope we at least have a cold winter for the little buggers.

1 - 20 of 2848 Posts