SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got off the TTA bus just find that the CCB Logo was gone from the CCB Tower......I guess its the Suntrust Tower now. Here's pictorial of the once then CCB....................................................

The tower has three story wing, a six story wing...finally narrowing up into 17 stories.

more shots

skyline shot from Chapel Hill Street

from the old heart of Durham hotel site...

·
Registered
124 Posts
oh wow. that is going to be strange not seeing that CCB sign there anymore. It has been a Durham landmark for some time.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here's an article dated back to January 05

CCB sign was built to last

Jan. 3, 2005
The Herald-Sun
By PAUL BONNER
© Copyright 2004

DURHAM -- SunTrust Banks' removal of the landmark CCB sign from the Central Carolina Bank building this spring will mark the end of an era, but that was perhaps even more true when the 12-foot-tall letters first appeared on the downtown skyline 40 years ago.

An early design for the mammoth rooftop sign incorporated a large tobacco leaf, said architect Frank DePasquale, who proposed it. The abstract leaf rose tall as a flagpole above the letters, paying homage to Durham's commercial underpinnings as a regional tobacco market.

DePasquale showed the design to George Watts Hill, who as chairman of the bank and the son of its founder, John Sprunt Hill, had strong ties to the Bull City's tobacco legacy. It was as a partner in the Duke family's tobacco empire, after all, that Watts Hill's grandfather, George W. Watts, had built the fortune that eventually helped launch the bank.

But DePasquale quickly agreed with Watts Hill that the sign should convey Durham's new reliance on financial services. "[The leaf] would have conflicted with the sign," was Hill's immediate reaction, DePasquale recalled.

More compatible with the 1937 modernistic Hill Building, as the CCB headquarters is officially known -- and with the new page of the city's identity -- were the Roman-style letters, classic and unadorned.

"Purposely simple -- that's the way George Watts Hill liked it," DePasquale said.

Hill also liked longevity. The four-sided roof sign and its giant letters was built to last, added Steve Laws, who heads Harlan Laws Corp., the longtime Durham company that erected the sign.

In 1964, when the Laws' father, Harlan Laws, was contracted to build and erect the CCB sign, the company fabricated the letters in sections from steel and had them coated with white porcelain to protect against rust. The louvered aluminum screen on which they were mounted was anodized against corrosion. Fasteners were of brass or stainless steel for the same reason.

"[Hill] didn't want anything that would rust," said Lynwood Jackson, who had worked for Harlan Laws less than a year when he went atop the CCB building to install the sign in September and October 1964. Today, Jackson manages quality control for the sign company.

"Those same materials are still being employed today," Jackson said.

The way the workers put them up, however, would probably give an OSHA safety inspector apoplexy, if there had been such a thing as OSHA in 1964, admit Steve Laws and his uncle, Bob Laws, Harlan's brother.

The company had no access to a crane able to reach the top of the building. They probably wouldn't have had space to maneuver one in the narrow downtown streets, anyway, they said. Instead, the workers took all the sign materials into the bank and lifted them in loads on top of an elevator. This required them to work after banking hours, often until after midnight.

But the elevator goes only as high as the 14th floor of the building's 17. The workers hoisted the materials the rest of the way by hand, using a rope and pulleys. CCB officials have said the building's height below the sign is about 270 feet.

To mount the letters, they climbed a stepladder resting on a narrow ledge or were lowered by ropes in a homemade seat fashioned from a wooden soft drink case.

Bob Laws, who was then the company's glassblower for neon lighting, installed the white neon lighting inside the letters.

"We all had to be crazy to do what we done," Bob Laws said.

"I was scared and enjoyed it, too," Jackson added.

The sign's electronics have been revamped since then, but the metal remains all-original, outlasting the name it abbreviates.

Central Carolina Bank & Trust was formed in 1961 when Durham Bank & Trust Co. merged with University National Bank of Chapel Hill, marking the beginning of a major expansion.

Durham was flexing its financial might elsewhere, too. Home Security Life Insurance Co., also founded by John Sprunt Hill, had in the late 1950s built a new building on West Chapel Hill and Duke streets that now houses the Durham Police Department. Beside it, N.C. Mutual Life Insurance Co. built its striking 12-story home office, breaking ground in 1963 on the knoll that had been the site of Benjamin Duke's mansion.

Throughout the early 1960s, a wave of consolidations transformed what had been local enterprises into statewide banks, several with a new presence in Durham. The new competition probably was behind Hill's desire to burnish CCB's reputation as the hometown bank and therefore the impetus for the sign, said Howard Covington, author of "Favored by Fortune: George W. Watts and the Hills of Durham."

"It was his way of saying, 'OK, boys, you can do business here, but we're in charge,' " Covington said.

CCB grew steadily throughout North and South Carolina until its acquisition in 2000 by National Commerce Financial Corp. of Memphis, Tenn. Both banks, however, retained their brand names. That won't be the case with SunTrust's acquisition of NCF, including CCB, which was completed in October.

Durham will be a regional headquarters for SunTrust in the Carolinas, but officials have made it clear operations will be under the SunTrust name. SunTrust officials have said they will remove or change the downtown sign accordingly, but have provided no details. A group that includes DePasquale and others interested in its disposition plans to meet with SunTrust officials this month.

When SunTrust removes -- and if it changes -- the sign, it probably first would have to petition the city-county Historic Preservation Commission for a certificate of appropriateness, since the CCB building is in Durham's downtown historic district, said City-County Planning Director Frank Duke.

Any replacement sign would have to pass muster with that appointed body as compatible with the building and area's historic character. A new sign also would be reviewed by the Inspections Department for compliance with structural and, if lighted, electrical codes. Although it was installed long before Durham's sign ordinance was enacted, the present CCB sign complies with the code, Duke said.

If that happens, Steve Laws said, he'd like for his company to get the job, to which end he has contacted SunTrust officials, he said.

Harlan Laws Corp., which now has facilities in Phoenix in addition to its home office off U.S. 70 East in Durham, has installed many bank signs, Laws said. It installs all signs for Lowe's home improvement stores, which is the main reason it opened a Phoenix location, he said. The company's biggest installation in recent years was the 100-foot-tall scoreboard at N.C. State University's football stadium in Raleigh.

But few of the hundreds of signs Jackson has installed for the company have given him as much satisfaction as the one for CCB.

"There wasn't a sign I put up in Durham that I was more proud of," he said.

·
Registered
6,319 Posts
These photos will be interesting... 30 years from now. Even though the CCB logo has served DT Durham's skyline well all these years, I am sure that the SunTrust logo will do just fine there, too. Hopefully, it will be for the better.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I don't care - losing a local state oriented bank sucks. The regional banks such as SunTrust, Wachovia & Bank of America have decimated local banking institutions that primarily served their home state. It's very unfortunate - but that is of course the way it is, in the land of Walmart & McDonalds.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
SChristopher said:
Whoa at first I thought you meant they knocked it down, now THAT would have sucked.
hahahahahahahah! NO SChristopher

The title of thread is abit misleading though...isn't it!

If they would have knock down CCB Tower....we Durhammites would be raising hell!

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Did SunTrust buy CCB bank, because I don't recall hearing about it? I know that they bought BB&T and royally screwed up their purchase of Wachovia.
[Never mind, I just read your post about SunTrust's purchase of the bank in Memphis.]

I've never seen photos of downtown Durham. How far apart are downtown Durham and downtown Raleigh?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Nick in Atlanta said:
Did SunTrust buy CCB bank, because I don't recall hearing about it? I know that they bought BB&T and royally screwed up their purchase of Wachovia.
[Never mind, I just read your post about SunTrust's purchase of the bank in Memphis.]

I've never seen photos of downtown Durham. How far apart are downtown Durham and downtown Raleigh?
They are around 30 miles apart.

When did Suntrust buy BB&T? That must've been one hell of a purchase.

I do know that Suntrust bought CCB--you can find mention of the merger if you search google with "suntrust ccb"

·
Registered
6,319 Posts
It will certainly bring tears, but DT Durham needs to keep an upbeat attitude and make SunTrust see the City of Medicine as a great place to do business. I used CCB for my first mortgage and I was very happy with them; I almost used them last year, when we bought our new home. It is sad to see CCB going, but let's hope that SunTrust will recognize the importance of keeping the community spirit that CCB established in Durham and continue along those lines.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nick in Atlanta said:

CCB grew steadily throughout North and South Carolina until its acquisition in 2000 by National Commerce Financial Corp. of Memphis, Tenn. Both banks, however, retained their brand names. That won't be the case with SunTrust's acquisition of NCF, including CCB, which was completed in October.

Downtown Durham: As you can see, The former CCB Tower was a staple on the Durham's skyline.

·
Sic Semper Tyrannis
1,455 Posts
IHateBirds said:
They are around 30 miles apart.

When did Suntrust buy BB&T? That must've been one hell of a purchase.

I do know that Suntrust bought CCB--you can find mention of the merger if you search google with "suntrust ccb"
I highly doubt BB&T was bought by Suntrust. The other way around would be more believable, but I don't think that has happened. But who knows..

·
Registered
20 Posts
Well considering suntrust has assets of 58 billion more than BB&T if it were to happen it would be suntrust over bb&t. No it hasnt happened. (BB&T=100.5B,Suntrust=158.9B;Source:Corresponding company website, 2004 year end)

·
Sic Semper Tyrannis
1,455 Posts
Still, I think BB&T may have the brightest future. I really hope it isn't eaten up by the other corporate giants out there. Another Winston HQ's would be gone.......

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
BB&T did not buy Wachovia...and Suntrust did not buy BB&T.

So what the CCB building look like now? Did they just take the letters off?
Is the Blue part still up there? Is it still blue?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Some1 should take pictures of the CCB tower b4 they put the new letters up to show it in this transitional stage....it would be interesting to look back on in the future at least. I would but by the time I made it up to Durham it would probably be 2 late...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts