Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
are there any celebrities that live in chicago or chicago area. i love chicago its my favorite city in the world but y don't chicago attract celebrities. they always going to la,ny,vegas,or miami come on now wats going on chicago is like the underdog among celebrities. to me chicago has better property then all them cities, its got great shopping and entertainment so y don't we see any celebrities there?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Reason being is that the coasts cater towards celeberities. Hollywood is where celebrities will live. New York is where some live. New York is where they all do promotions because it is the "other" capital of our country. Outsite of this board, majority of people think of Chicago as a place for business trips. Chicago will never get celebrities the way South Beach(weather, location) and Vegas(need I say more). We have a few, but face it, Chicago is not the "hip" place to go, WHICH IS A GOOD THING. Last thing I want is to see Paris Hilton on Mich Ave.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Last I heard, Jennifer Aniston is planning a move to Chicago.

Joan Cusack lives here (Lakeview). Chris O'Donnell lived in Lakeview for quite awhile as well but recently moved to L.A. (I think)...

William Kennedy Smith (the infamous Kennedy who was accused of rape twice but never convicted) lives in a Lakeview townhouse... Billy Corgan (who was lead singer of the Smashing Pumpkins) lived in a gorgeous old Victorian house in West Lakeview in the 1990s, but has since moved to Winnetka, IIRC...

John Mahoney (who played the dad on "Frasier" and has been in a number of movies including "Moonstruck") still lives in Oak Park.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I like that fact that our celebrities are our buildings.

These buildings aren't egotistical maniacs. They don't belong to some wacko cult. They're not murdering their wives. They're not being busted for drugs and put on probation. While the celebrities fade and die off over time, these buildings just get better with age.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Celebs primarily live in NY and LA. Miami and LV are mostly places they vacation.

They mostly dont live in chicago because chicago is not a hub of pop culture and entertainment. It makes more sense to live where you work.

·
Banned
141 Posts
Well the Gold Coast is the wealthiest urban community in America outside of one of those Manhattan neighborhoods (forgot the name). Some of them are famous. The reason why you dont know about it opposed to a place like Hollywood is because these people live in skyscrapers, Los Angeles only has like 4 skyscrapers. If the people of Gold Coast lived in single housing mansions like Hollywood then their presence would be more noticable.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Quickdraw said:
Well the Gold Coast is the wealthiest urban community in America outside of one of those Manhattan neighborhoods (forgot the name). Some of them are famous. The reason why you dont know about it opposed to a place like Hollywood is because these people live in skyscrapers, Los Angeles only has like 4 skyscrapers. If the people of Gold Coast lived in single housing mansions like Hollywood then their presence would be more noticable.
The Gold Coast is filled with extremely wealthy people who do not live in skyscrapers (unfortunately I'm not one of them). Go walk down E. Division St. or Goethe, Astor, N. State, etc. Very expensive houses with wealthy people, but there is a difference between old money famous and J-Lo or Will Smith living next to you off Wilshire in Beverly Hills or something.

Relative to most American cities, there are a lot of celebrities that live in Chicago. We just dont' have more than LA or NY for obvious reasons: the industries that create fame have a stronger presence there.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I saw Bonnie Hunt at the Blue Bayou on Southport following a Cubs game. That was kinda cool. But overall, who needs celebs. If they live here that would be cool, but I'd rather not get the oversaturated celeb paparazzi that takes place in LA and NY.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
DeMaFrost said:
I saw Bonnie Hunt at the Blue Bayou on Southport following a Cubs game. That was kinda cool. But overall, who needs celebs. If they live here that would be cool, but I'd rather not get the oversaturated celeb paparazzi that takes place in LA and NY.
Agreed. It must be nice for celebs to be able to walk around the streets of Chicago and just be a human being.

·
Registered
4,521 Posts
yes, we dont need any more celebrities here in Chicago. Chicago prides itself for being "down to earth" and does not need to ruin itself with the ridiculous celebrity subculture. want celebs? go to LA. Want normal people, stay here.

·
Registered
527 Posts
^^^ Ya know, so many people throw that attitude around in this forum, and I never completely buy it.

Look, certainly Chicago doesn't need celebs to be great, but better to have them and despise them, than not have them and say you don't need them. Certainly, celebs bring national attention. And many people previously said they wish Chicago had more national attention.

·
Registered
469 Posts
rgolch said:
^^^ Ya know, so many people throw that attitude around in this forum, and I never completely buy it.

Look, certainly Chicago doesn't need celebs to be great, but better to have them and despise them, than not have them and say you don't need them. Certainly, celebs bring national attention. And many people previously said they wish Chicago had more national attention.
Totally agree. If people like Vince Vaughn and the like are moving to Chicago, that can only be considered desireable and a good thing.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts