1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
User
5,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
NY1

Census: NYC Population Hits Record High

October 04, 2006

The city's population has reached an all time high of 8.2 million people, following a recount of the census.

A report earlier this year listed the city's population at 8.1 million. But Mayor Michael Bloomberg challenged the numbers, saying a low estimate could mean fewer state dollars for affordable housing.

After a recount, the census bureau added another 70,000 people.

·
Registered
5,278 Posts
The Big Apple is now even bigger!

·
Brooklyn Real Estater
181 Posts
I've always contended that NYC had a couple hundred thousand people "uncounted" by the census--those illegals and thousands of immigrants in Chinatown, the Flushing area, and Brooklyn/Queens/Bronx. I would not be very surprised if the ACTUAL city population hovered around 8.4 million people. Excellent growth! The city keeps adding new condos and apartments in the majority of neighborhoods across the 5 boroughs. I'd project an 8,300,000 count (official) for 2010, and a 8,800,000 count for 2020. As for the "unofficial totals," i'd go with 8.6 and 9.1, respectively.

·
Registered
743 Posts
I've always contended that NYC had a couple hundred thousand people "uncounted" by the census--those illegals and thousands of immigrants in Chinatown, the Flushing area, and Brooklyn/Queens/Bronx. I would not be very surprised if the ACTUAL city population hovered around 8.4 million people. Excellent growth! The city keeps adding new condos and apartments in the majority of neighborhoods across the 5 boroughs. I'd project an 8,300,000 count (official) for 2010, and a 8,800,000 count for 2020. As for the "unofficial totals," i'd go with 8.6 and 9.1, respectively.
More data is needed before we get real happy about this...who are the people trying to get into NY city...what are their spending powers etc.

I live in NY City (Manhattan) and it surprsies me to see how many storefronts along main avenues like Madison, 5th and Park are vacant...is the retail boom over in NY? Real estate as well know is going to probably take a nose dive - not a healthy sign for the City's economic growth. The number of days condos that have been on the market for sales have increased tremendously and today there is a glut in the market. The NY office as well as residentail amrkets are headed for a big correction...

The relatively small increases in NY market is coming from population whose spending power is way less than the services that retail in the city...I wonder if they will contribute anything at all to the city's growth other than taxes, of course...in any case...my prediction is that NY is a fading city with wrong fundamentals...high cost of living targeted at a market segment that can ill-afford it followed by fcus on traditional industries that are slowly giving way to high-tech counterparts...

my bet is a majority of the ad firms on madison Avenue are raking up losses thanks to Google and other tech intermediation...

I believe the bricks and mortar economy is in a fade mode and with it is going to drag down much of built-up NY City

1 - 6 of 6 Posts